Projection Screen

Don't be shy! If you're just starting out, here's the place to ask that first question

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

ANTHONY54

Projection Screen

Post by ANTHONY54 »

Does anyone know where I can get a projection screen for an old 3inch Vixen.

Thanks.
Anthony.
@@

Post by @@ »

soz mate
jessops 10x50 binos
skymax 127
J Perez 670 guitar :)
ANTHONY54

Post by ANTHONY54 »

OOOPS,
That is a projection screens for solar astronomy.

Anthony.

:oops:
Brian

Post by Brian »

Hi Anthony.

It seems that some small telescopes are sold with a solar projection screen included, but as "add-ons" these things seem rarer than hen's teeth.

An alternative would be to make a safe solar filter to fit your telescope using Baader Astrosolar Safety Film. The ND=5 version cuts down solar energy entering your telescope by 99.999% so you can look at the Suns image at full aperture using normal eyepieces.

For instance, see Here

ATB,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

From some experience we found that the screen supplied with a refractor really was too small. During solar eclipses and other solar observing we found it best to project the image of the Sun into a cardboard box (with white card stuck inside the bottom) set up at an angle on the ground. maf
LeoLion

Post by LeoLion »

Hi Anthony , You could try 'A Plantpot Solar Projector' as in this article by Cliff Shuttlewood http://www.britastro.org/iandi/shuttlewood.htm . You should also Google for Sun Gun for another screen device for Solar .
When I read your post I had a quick look for TAL telescopes and bits & bobs on eBay as they used to come with a screen as standard. Hope this is of some help,
Len E
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Just to say, Anthony, that cemented eyepieces shouldn't be used for solar projection, the intense heat will damage the balsam.
I have three Huygenian eyepieces that I use for projecting the Sun into a light plywood box. Huygenians work best with f.12 upwards 'scopes; Ramsdens work well with shorter focal ratios.
Another point to make is that I slackened the field-lens retaining ring slightly in each eyepiece to allow for expansion of the lenses when exposed to heat, otherwise there's a risk of cracked lenses.
brian