Glowing balls in the sky

Don't be shy! If you're just starting out, here's the place to ask that first question

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

livum

Glowing balls in the sky

Post by livum »

My mum and I saw two maybe three glowing balls, slow moving in the sky at 11pm.
The glowing balls were possibly on fire, but we are not sure, and they made no sound.
They seemed to change direction randomly, and just dissapeared over the houses. This happened on Saturday 18th July 2009.
This occured in Bromley, Kent.
If anyone has any information or seen something similar it would be muchly appreciated.
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

Not those blasted chinese lantern balloons again eh!? maf
livum

I don't think so...

Post by livum »

I don't think they were chinese lanterns, because my little brother and dad were a while away from me and my mum, and they saw four orange glowing balls that seemed to stop and hover before moving away.
This occured at about the same time, and someone who was with them told them that the same kind of thing happened at about the same time last year.
My mum also saw one near Christmas.
antares6iron

Post by antares6iron »

mike a feist wrote:Not those blasted chinese lantern balloons again eh!? maf
Got to agree with maf

They are a total pain and dangerous...Image
Various 'scopes 80mm to 254mm on goto and driven EQ mounts.A80M Vixen used as solarscope on Vixen Porta mount 15X70 Bino's RoRo Ob,Radio Meteor shack and weather station.. "Since the mathematicians have invaded the theory of relativity, I do not understand it myself anymore."
Albert Einstein
livum

I still don't think they were....

Post by livum »

I don't think that they were because it wasn't windy and it looked like they were on fire. They weren't floating as a balloon would.
antares6iron

Post by antares6iron »

There have been a lot of these sightings if you check around on this forum and they are normally found to be chinese fire lanterns but maf and myself were just saying balloons instead of the lantern...

Alaistar Mcbeath our meteor section director has reports of them on a regular basis....

Sky-lanterns: These are small, roughly metre-high, paper hot air balloons, powered by a burning wick suspended below them. Released singly or sometimes in groups to "celebrate" some event to go wherever the wind takes them, they first started to appear as objects mistaken for meteoric fireballs in the summer of 2007 over Britain, and have recurred occasionally ever since. They can look like literal "balls of fire", but typically are much slower-moving than meteors. The fact they can appear in groups has also led to numerous "UFO" or "mystery lights in the sky" press stories. In theory, mass-releases are supposed to be notified to the UK aviation authorities in advance, but it is clear this does not always happen, nor is it obvious just how many sky-lanterns constitute a "mass-release". To tell them apart from genuine fireballs or other astronomical targets like artificial satellites, again the best way is to examine them with good binoculars.

Have a look in our Meteor section for more info and welcome to the forum!

http://www.popastro.com/sections/meteor/fireball.htm
Various 'scopes 80mm to 254mm on goto and driven EQ mounts.A80M Vixen used as solarscope on Vixen Porta mount 15X70 Bino's RoRo Ob,Radio Meteor shack and weather station.. "Since the mathematicians have invaded the theory of relativity, I do not understand it myself anymore."
Albert Einstein
markt

Post by markt »

Hi Livum,

They are Chinese Lanterns what you saw. They are becoming more and more common these days i'm afraid.

Best wishes, Mark.
Meade 5" Refractor, ETX90, Coronado SolarMax40, C8 XLT CF CaK PST
EQ6 Pro, 15x70's, 20x80's
Canon 350D, DMK31
livum

Thanks everyone

Post by livum »

Thanks everyone for your fast replies, i didn't have binoculars with me at the time, so they were probably chinese fire lanterns.
Thanks again.
dave clayton

glowing lights

Post by dave clayton »

hi there
I too have seen orange lights but by the speed and then the rate of climb I dont see how they could have been ballons. A few nights later a string of these things stopped the traffic on the A14 in suffolk. Its the same as crop circles, if the tricksters would stop perhaps we would get to the bottom of things
dave
dino

close encounter

Post by dino »

i saw 4 ufos last year, that could be mistaken for lanterns at a distance but i seen 1 of them Really close i had to look vertically up & it was big the size of a hot air balloon completely round and covered in flame jets it was dead silent and definately being steered by something intelligent!,there wasnt any clouds and it was a still starry night, i could fill in a lot of space going on about this,so i wont, if anyone has seen anything similar or anyone wants to know more please contact me, up to now i have not heard of anyone seeing these things as closely as i did,so if your out there it would be great to hear from you.
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

You say that you "saw it really close"....how can you tell how close it is unless you know how big it is,,,,and to know that you know what it is?? maf
dino

Post by dino »

i still to this day havnt got a clue what it was i saw but i do know i saw four of them traveling in pairs and one of them deviated and came more or less over my head,when i first spotted them they were over an area i know is about a mile or so away and they looked big then! i admit it was night but it was crystal clear that night and i especially noticed how there were a lot of stars visible,im pretty good at judging sizes & distances ,if you were there watching with me your jaw would have hit the floor,i wish i could have caught it on video,ive never seen anything before or after this and im pretty open minded about it,all i can say if it was a hoax,which i doubt then it must have been some very clever people that made those things.look on uk ufo .co .uk i posted what i witnessed soon after on that site.To be honest i feel my witnessing these ufos is wasted no one has tried to talk to me about it and it was a big deal for an ordinary bloke like me to see what i consider to be the real thing.Ive got a great memory for detail wish i knew an animator and show everybody what i saw,anyway thanks for the interest!
dino

Post by dino »

p.s. i live in urmston manchester , im quite puzzled why nobody else has seen them close up and reported it but ive worked out those that report a big ball of fire and adament it wasnt a lantern because of its behavior or appearance probably saw what i saw.
Robin Scagell

Post by Robin Scagell »

Someone gave me a pack of 10 of these wretched sky lanterns for Christmas! I have to say, though, that while in theory they are innocuous enough, it is worrying how many scare reports they do trigger off. It would seem sensible to set them off near the sea with an offshore wind, so there's no chance of them coming down on a hayrick or whatever, but then someone might mistake them for a distress flare and call out the lifeboat! One supplier specifically warns against doing this.

I have seen literally hundreds of sky lanterns, starting in 2007 during a festival in Portugal. Sky lanterns usually appear orange, though the paper can be coloured, giving them a slightly different appearance. The larger ones can drop sparks as they burn. They drift on the wind, and a group of them will drift together. However, at the Kelling Heath sky camp in 2008, some astronomers who saw them for the first time were mystified because they did not all go in the same direction. If there isn't a steady breeze they can drift irregularly and appear to be under intelligent control. They are completely silent, even when seen up close. The distance of objects in the sky is notoriously difficult to judge if there are no reference points or you don't know how big the object is.

I would have thought that most emergency services should be wise to them by now. I believe that distress flares are bright red, with a quite intense light, and shoot up in the sky before drifting downwards. I think that as they fall, they tend to stay more over the point of origin than does a hot air lantern. I found this news item which confirms this:

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/87727 ... nedin-call

There's also this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... lares.html

And this, which highlights the envirnmental hazards:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/e ... y-lanterns

So, Dino, do keep your eyes on the skies!

Robin
dino

Post by dino »

Sorry to go on about this subject as it is separate from astronomy,anyone who thinks i may have seen flares or lanterns is im afraid mistaken!,unless four of them have been made the size of a house and covered with individual jets of flame.They also were playing catch up with each other which without any wind or intelligence would be impossible.It is difficult to prove i got the perspective right and it was night time,but one of these things went out of its way and deviated towards me,if it werent for this i wouldnt be bothering anyone to believe me as i would have passed it off as being hot air balloons.Because each of the individual flames were flickering from soft orange flame to blue jets i could just make out a dark spherical shape in the middle this was only visible when it was closest to me.Judging by the size of the thing as a whole id say each flame would have been 6 to 10 feet long for the jets and half that for the orange flame,the jets were randomly firing in a haphazard fashion which i found unusual as whatever it was i was looking at moved the same as a hot air balloon gracefully.I know where i first seen them to where they vanished was a fair distance away and they got there in a few minutes,i also estimate from what i saw at least 100 jets on the part i was looking at,it was also motionless in the sky not wobbling or spinning just moving along at a steady pace.Another thing that puzzles me is that i heard nothing! no jet bursts just silence and by the size of it and how close it came to me i should have heard them at least,i seen them first over barton area near the trafford centre and they eventually disappeared one by one in exactly the same spot over trafford park close to mufc.I know im not the only person to have seen them because i could weed out similarities from a few witnesses on the ukufo site around the same time and some from as long back as a few years if you were to look them up youd find most of them know the difference between what should or could be up there or what should not or could not.Ive racked my brains trying to come up with a logical or physical explanation but i cannot work out what it was i seen,the only conclusion if it was alien that i can think of is the jets or heat of the fire was to protect them from viruses or similar,anyway thank you for giving me the opportunity for getting it off my chest and talking about it!, hope someone reads this thats seen the same and can verify it or even verify it as a massive hoax though like i said i doubt it because there was no point to it and everything i seen was beyond hoaxers.Believe me these things were Huge and totally unlike lanterns or flares ive ruled out everything i can think of that they could have been,i mean fire on the outside would mean disaster for air balloons or even massive lanterns,its all mind boggling to me so most days i choose not to think about it but i do want it to be known because what i saw could be important one day.