RA motor drive + speed control handset?

Don't be shy! If you're just starting out, here's the place to ask that first question

Moderators: joe, Guy Fennimore, Brian

thomasfn

RA motor drive + speed control handset?

Post by thomasfn »

Hi guys, thought you might be able to help with this one, iam looking to purchase a RA motor drive making it possible for me to photograph the sky for long periods, and i understand the cocept behind a motor, what i dont understand is why you would want to attatch a speed control handset, wouldnt altering the speed of the motor distort your photos? or am i missing something?
skywatcher skymax-90+EQ1,strathspey 15x70 bins.
Andrew INT

Post by Andrew INT »

The reason for the speed control is for making minor adjustments in order to get the object in centre of the CDD before imaging. It works better when you have both RA and DEC motors though.
Skywatcher Explorer 200P on HEQ5 Mount with GOTO upgrade
Canon 350D DSLR, 10x50 Bins http://andrewrichens.wix.com/astro-nerd
Ender Of Days

Post by Ender Of Days »

Ive been getting my old Beacon Hill camera mount up and running,
Its only got one of those preset "small screw type" adjusters thats in the main box (so it can't be altered while the motor is running)
i let the guide star enter the finder for 5 seconds then switch on and see how long it takes the star to leave the field,
At the mo Im at 30 mins driven,meaning that every time i wish to "improve" the accurate drive time,i have to sit and wait another 30+ mins :roll:

How i long for a hand controler :lol: :lol:
as it would make the mount so much more user friendly :wink: ,

get one with a hand control,you will only regret "not" getting one,

JJ.. :)
aint no speed limit where im comin from ..
lets hit the highway doing 69

ETX 125
Meade Series 4000 box set
thomasfn

Post by thomasfn »

ah now I understand, the hand set only makes minor changes as to keep the object centered, and I thought it doubled the speed of the motor. Thanks for the help much appreciated.
skywatcher skymax-90+EQ1,strathspey 15x70 bins.