Another "Sunspot" - 19th November

Photos, sketches and other images by SPA members

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Cliff

Another "Sunspot" - 19th November

Post by Cliff »

Surprise, Surprise !
a few days have passed since I last observed & imaged the Sun. Nice to see quite a reasonable Sunspot with penumbra this afternoon. It is a fair way onto the visible disk already. So far I have not been able to relate it to any Sunspots that might(?) have travelled round the back-side of the Sun
Image now attached.
from Cliff
Attachments
zybSun20201119_1430UTmeredith_19R.jpg
zybSun20201119_1430UTmeredith_19R.jpg (88.7 KiB) Viewed 401 times
jeff.stevens

Re: Another "Sunspot" - 19th November

Post by jeff.stevens »

Cliff, it’s great to see your white light image of this particular sunspot. I haven’t observed the sun telescopically for a long time.

Come to think of it, November seems to have been especially grim weather wise, and I haven’t even seen much of it at all.

Best wishes, Jeff.
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

The Sun seems to be waking up Cliff, I counted 6 spots in two group at noon today (22/11), the large single one in your image, a new one foreshortened on the limb just coming into view, and four faint ones on the northern hemisphere in what looked like a group of two twins with a couple of odd little smudgy specks nearby. Regards, Bob
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

Just now I Used my now spare Acuter spotter with x15 magnification to project a Solar Image, through a thin bit of cloud and the window glass onto a sheet of paper as the Sun partly emerges before it disappearing again! A real sunspot...reminded me of the last time a saw a spot on the Sun...during the Mercury transit, when it WAS Mercury. 22ndNov. MMXX.
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

Cliff, have a look today if you can. Theres a new larger spot on the limb that looks like it might be showing the Wilson Effect - and more spots mid-disc. Bob
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

This afternoon, 24th November, 1500-1530 GMT; the SUN finally became almost free of clouds, so used the Acuter 15x65 as a Solar Projector, through the small bedroom window-pane, to form the image on the wall, then on the white-painted door. The pair of sunspots coming onto the disc of the Sun were very obvious, with the larger one having distinct umbra and penumbra, and with faculae nearby. I managed to watch the Sun, in and out of the odd cloud until it started to pass across the various pylon-cables and then behind a pylon and into a bush on Southwick Hill. Much like using a camera obscura! regards mike [still watching]
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

No luck with the Sun here Mike, although yesterday I did get a close-up with the 90 mm. The large spot on the limb was showing the Wilson Effect and I managed to sketch it at 1330 UT. Did you see it today? Bob
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

I did not notice the Wilson Effect but I was rather struggling with the solar image, and also attempting to take a photograph of the image on the wall. The main problem was that as the spotter has a 45 deg ep, the image, was at first, high up on the wall. Later, it occurred to me to adjust the tripod -head through 90 degrees, there-by making the image out to the side and lower down and therefore much easier to examine. I loved watching the Sun making its way behind the various cables on the pylons on the hill and finally going behind the pylon and then the hedge on the hill. Many years ago [ in summer 1993] when I first went to work at the Foredown Tower, we experimented, with the help of a photographer-in-residence who was there for a time, to take a photograph using the camera obscura as a photographic camera with photographic paper, and did take a photograph of the settling Sun behind a pylon on the hill. I still have this. regards mike feist.
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Bob, Mike & Jeff
Thanks for your interesting comments about the Sun. I've been a bit lazy not visiting the forum recently, lacking views of the Sun. Certainly no imaging possible but a couple of days back I got a view of the big Sunspot using hand held filtered bins 20x60 bins & 10x50 monocular leaning on a wall.
Best wishes from Cliff