It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:19 am

Post subject: Faculae/Plages
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:18 pm 

NO! - not any proper Sunspots still ?
It's nearly 3 months since I saw any real Sunspots.
But I got a pleasant surprise when I observed & imaged the Sun in White Light & Hydrogen Alpha yesterday.
My 60mm Coronado SolarMax Ha image (stacked 21second Opticstar PL-131m (mononchrome) video clip) shows the Sun revealing a tiny bright spot fairly near the Sun's S-W limb.
88mm William Optic refractor W.L. image (stacked 17 seconds PL-131m video clip) reveals a small bright-ish spot at similar location.
Note :-
FACULAE - bright regions seen in the Sun's Photosphere (White Light) near the Sun's limb. Faculae appear some hours before associated sunspots but can remain the Sunspots after the sunspots have gone.
PLAGES - bright regions in the Sun's Chromosphere found above Sunspots seen in Ha, accompanying & outlive Sunspot groups.
Two images (Ha & W.L. attached -
Best wishes from Cliff

Attachments:
zyxSun20190706_1517UTmeredith_08R.jpg
zyxSun20190706_1517UTmeredith_08R.jpg [ 78.09 KiB | Viewed 515 times ]
zyxSun20190706_1507UTmeredith_33R.jpg
zyxSun20190706_1507UTmeredith_33R.jpg [ 75.99 KiB | Viewed 515 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Faculae/Plages
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:13 pm 

I'm getting very bored with the Suns lack of interest :(

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:52 am 

At solar minimum, we can still observe spectacular prominences in our solar 'scopes. They can take on fascinating shapes, some of them evocative of mythical beasts.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:32 am 

Skyhawk & Brian
I agree with both of you, but for somewhat different reasons.
Currently I restrict my stargazing to just one star ie the SUN. So if I don't observe/image the Sun - I wouldn't do any stargazing at all. Trying to honest , Skyhawk - I currently do find the Sun a bit boring. Even so the Sun produces occasional surprises eg faculae/plages the other day. Next day I did observe/image the Sun again - half wondering what I might see - in particular would the faculae/plages advance on the disk due to the Sun's rotation OR would a new Sunspot miraculously appear. Needless to say the surprise was what I suppose might be expected when the Sun is in a boring mood there was nothing at all to be seen No Sunspots, NO Faculae, NO plages.
Brian, fingers Xed, I hope to see some really nice prominences soon.
Incidentally my gear & techniques are not the best to produce spectacular results.
Best wishes & thanks to both for responding - from Cliff. #