It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:55 pm

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:40 pm 

I got obsessed about the Sun since the fairly recent resurgence of Sunspot activity. So Hard Luck !
Getting this image of the Sun today, 17th May, was far more exciting for me than any pro-astronomers pics of Black Holes.
Of course the last of the recent big Sunspots (at least the one I can still observe) is now moving towards the Sun's limb. There was quite a lot of drifting cloud when I could observe/image the Sun through our back bedroom window. Over perhaps an hour or so I only glimpsed the Sun & Sunspot a few times and only got ONE video clip of 5 seconds 90 video frames in all of which only 3 frames were later stacked by Registax software.
However, the resultant image does just reveal Sunspot approaching the Sun's limb - despite the cloud marring the pic,
from Cliff

Attachments:
zyxSun20190517_1641UTmeredith_27R.jpg
zyxSun20190517_1641UTmeredith_27R.jpg [ 108.55 KiB | Viewed 943 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:34 pm 

It's frustrating this kind of weather, rafts of thin cloud and poor seeing. Visually, there were brief windows in it when the spot could clearly be seen to consist of at least three umbral segments; there were also arcs of surrounding faculae. But mostly the seeing was quite blurry.
Best wishes, Bob

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:54 pm 

Bob
Seems your observing conditions yesterday were probably better than here.
However, our house is surrounded with scaffolding at the moment which restricts my views of the Sun more than usual. Hopefully the scaffolding will be gone in a day or two, and I'll have a bob or two less.
Today I was completely clouded out so not even a glimpse of the Sun.
However, did get a trip to one of our favourite view-points on the Pennines above Burnley, not far from a modern sculpture - the Singing Tree - made of scaffold tubing that whistle in the wind. To my horror there's a burnt out car in the car park, a hell of a mess. And some think our overcrowded population will survive the Climate Change problem there are too many idiots dumping rubbish.
Best of luck we need it from Cliff