Goodbye to Orion...

Photos, sketches and other images by SPA members

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

ollypenrice

Goodbye to Orion...

Post by ollypenrice »

This is my homage to the Hunter taken over several months. I used a Samyang 85mm camera lens and two Atik 4000s, an OSC for the colour and a mono for the Ha. There is a total exposure time of 55 hours here in a six panel mosaic.
Location Les Granges, Provence, SE France.
Olly
www.sunstarfrance.com

Run Les Granges astronomy holidays in Southern France. Offer Apo refractors of 127, 100 and 66mm, SCT of 10 inches and Dobsonian of 20 inches. NEW Takahashi FSQ85 as well. Offer CCD tuition and 'intro to astro courses' but used to teach English Lit.
Ender Of Days

Post by Ender Of Days »

Stunning :shock:

One of the most amazing images of Orion Ive seen !

JJ..
aint no speed limit where im comin from ..
lets hit the highway doing 69

ETX 125
Meade Series 4000 box set
astroeyes

Post by astroeyes »

I agree - quite amazing and very beautiful.
David.
Orion Optics DX250
Starlight Xpress SXV H9C ccd camera
Skysensor 2000 for tracking and GOTO
Davej

Post by Davej »

Hi,
That's a wonderful image Olly,
Really intricate pin sharp detail, well done :)
All the best
Dave
Meade LX 200 (7"). Odyssey 8" Dob.
11X80 10x50 15x70 bins
Celestron Neximage ccd cam
davidm61

Post by davidm61 »

Hello Olly

Stunning, just absolutely stunning!! Thanks for sharing it. However, I think I'll leave it to this excerpt from Hardys 'Far From The Madding Crowd' to sum it up:

“He stood and carefully examined the sky, to ascertain the time of night from the altitudes of the stars. The Dog-star and Alderbaran, pointing to the restless Pleiades, were halfway up the Southern sky ,and between them hung Orion, which gorgeous constellation never burnt more vividly than now, as it soared forth above the rim of the landscape.
ollypenrice

Post by ollypenrice »

davidm61 wrote:Hello Olly

Stunning, just absolutely stunning!! Thanks for sharing it. However, I think I'll leave it to this excerpt from Hardys 'Far From The Madding Crowd' to sum it up:

“He stood and carefully examined the sky, to ascertain the time of night from the altitudes of the stars. The Dog-star and Alderbaran, pointing to the restless Pleiades, were halfway up the Southern sky ,and between them hung Orion, which gorgeous constellation never burnt more vividly than now, as it soared forth above the rim of the landscape.
Hi David,
Hardy had his astronomical moments, for sure. I seem to think that the passage you mention also cites the desolate square of Pegasus? It is Gabriel Oak, I think. Is it the night he lost his sheep over the cliff?
Gad you like the pic. Thanks,
Olly
Run Les Granges astronomy holidays in Southern France. Offer Apo refractors of 127, 100 and 66mm, SCT of 10 inches and Dobsonian of 20 inches. NEW Takahashi FSQ85 as well. Offer CCD tuition and 'intro to astro courses' but used to teach English Lit.
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Dear Olly,
I presume the 85mm f/1.4.
What is the f stop, f/2 ?

Regards, David
ollypenrice

Post by ollypenrice »

David Frydman wrote:Dear Olly,
I presume the 85mm f/1.4.
What is the f stop, f/2 ?

Regards, David
Hi David,
Right lens but I slowed it down to about f4. I don't have my notes to hand but the stars do go off at the corners if you run wide open.
Olly
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

I did get one secondhand for my Sony/Minolta but haven't used it on stars.
It is other room and I am resting my back.
I thought it might be stopped down more than f/2 as I think the 8 pointt stars maybe from an 8 blade iris. Later on I will check.

It is indeed a lovely photo with masses of stars also.

I presume wide open there are seagull stars which would show up on a mosaic.

The test results of this lens are surprisingly good, particularly for transmission I believe.

Seconhand prices and even ex demonstration are still dropping.

Regards, David
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Dear Olly,
I checked my lens. It does indeed have eight blades and at f/4 the iris is an almost perfect regular octagon.
This explains the the beautiful 8 spiked brighter stars in your picture, particularly glorious Betelgeuse.

Your lens is obviously of high quality.

Regards, David
davidm61

Post by davidm61 »

ollypenrice wrote:
davidm61 wrote:Hello Olly

Hi David,
Hardy had his astronomical moments, for sure. I seem to think that the passage you mention also cites the desolate square of Pegasus? It is Gabriel Oak, I think. Is it the night he lost his sheep over the cliff?
Gad you like the pic. Thanks,
Olly
Hello

Yes indeed, the remainder of the passage (Gabriel Oak, or Farmer Oak if you prefer) is:

'Castor and Pollux with their quiet shine were almost on the meridian: the barren gloomy square of Pegasus was creeping round to the north-west; far away through the plantation Vega sparkled like a lamp suspended amid the leafless trees, and Cassiopeia’s chair stood daintily poised on the uppermost boughs. ‘One o’clock,’ said Gabriel.”
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

Ender Of Days wrote: One of the most amazing images of Orion Ive seen !
Likewise. Stupendous.
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
Vega

Post by Vega »

Wonderful! One of the best amateur Orion widefields i've seen

Thanks for sharing

Matt
Evostar Skywatcher 120/1000mm Refractor, Motor Driven EQ3.2 Mount.
Skyliner 250PX, EQ6 GOTO Synscan Mount
10x50 Bressner Bins, Canon EOS1000D, Canon S30
Total Lunar Eclipse 2018 | Comet Watch | My Astro-photography |