Space Junk on Peoples Planet Earth

Photos, sketches and other images by SPA members

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Cliff

Space Junk on Peoples Planet Earth

Post by Cliff »

Today 29th August, I was out on the Pennine hills, travelling in a petrol consuming car blowing out exhaust gases, and visited one of my favourite view points. I now attach 2 No photos 1) of the view plus 2) showing some dumped rubbish - all too often seen in the area.
Far upper right on the picture the top of Bleaklow (second highest top in the Peak District can just be seen) .
Middle foreground - some dumped rubbish not uncommon in the area.
Far left the gentle pointed top of my own Favourite Little Mountain (about 1500 feet).
Best of luck from Cliff
Attachments
IMG_7273bZz.jpg
IMG_7273bZz.jpg (44.95 KiB) Viewed 189 times
IMG_7272aZz.jpg
IMG_7272aZz.jpg (30.83 KiB) Viewed 189 times
michael feist

Re: Space Junk on Peoples Planet Earth

Post by michael feist »

Another dreadful mess, indeed, Cliff. Some people go into the local park, or onto the beach, have a 'lovely time', and just walk way when they are done, leaving all the empties, packaging and anything else they no longer want behind, hopefully expecting someone else will clear up after them. If say 95% of the people play 'by the book', the rest still make an awful mess. And don't get me going on so-called 'graffiti', as any clear surface here, becomes covered in everything from scribble, tags, comments, and drawings of no artistic merit. In a walkway tunnel under the local bypass to the local downland where I live and walk, someone has 'kindly' scrawled the message 'Don't clean off the graffiti''...
Regards mike.
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

Well Cliff, science is the answer; it’s called sandwich economics and we all practise it. It’s a simple and universal law that can be expressed thus: life is a sh*t sandwich. The more bread YOU got, the less sh*t YOU eat. The corollary is obvious. It’s the law of the civilised commons.
Those with no bread have to smear the excess sh*t somewhere: "The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls, and tenement halls..." (Paul Simon "The Sound of Silence"). The writing is indeed on the wall.
Bob
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

The area looks like it’s a good dark sky site.
brian
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Mike
I do not get to the seaside much these days not nice at all, and I think the problems there can be bad very bad. However, in some respects problems might be worse on the Pennines & other "wild places". Not just seaside day trip outings but really serious dumping (the photo I displayed is quite a small amount of deliberately dumped rubbish but it can be much worse than that discarded armchairs and bigger furniture. Old tyres and sometimes many of them, not just car tyres off big vehicles too. On one occasion a year or two back I saw an long array of old tyres dumped along both sides of more than a mile road quite very near the location of rubbish I just photographed.
Best of luck from Cliff
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Bian
Yes, the place where "my rubbish photo" was taken is (or certainly was) a good dark sky location. I haven't visited it at night for a few years now. If a really nice comet appears - I might (just might) be tempted back there one clear night.
best of luck from Cliff
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Bob
Unfortunately sandwich economics is a bit above my head.
Best wishes from Cliff
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Rubbish dumping and fly-tipping have been made worse in recent years by councils imposing charges to use their official rubbish sites. To avoid the expense of paying, the dumpers are leaving their rubbish in any spot that they regard is convenient.
brian