Another video collation of my images.

Photos, sketches and other images by SPA members

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

smerral

Another video collation of my images.

Post by smerral »

After my recent video I re-discovered this one I did a few years back. This was before I had the EQ mount, so the deep sky shots were all done with with the planetary cam using short exposures on the Celestron Nexstar Alt-Az mount. I was very much into solar imaging then too, it being solar maximum at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTx9M9P5VNU&
BRIAN
Celestron Nexstar 8SE, Ioptron CEM 25P mount
Altair Astro 102 ED refractor with Lunt B600 CaK diagonal
Coronado PST DS, Daystar Quark
ZWO ASI120MM camera, Canon 1000D (astro modified), Starlight Express SXV H9-C.
Gallery: http://www.astrobin.com/users/smerral/
Cliff

Re: Another video collation of my images.

Post by Cliff »

BrianS
Great Stuff !
I particularly enjoyed your Sun pics, revealing more detail than my very basic outfit will allow.
NO music again - though- perhaps for the best in my case (?).
Best wishes from Cliff
smerral

Post by smerral »

Thanks Cliff. The music is this case was Neptune the Mystic from Holst's Planet Suite. Actually that was the first LP I ever bought. I was 17 at the time. :D
BRIAN
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

BrianS
I like Holst's Planets very much - although from what I think I remember, I don't think Holst was really into astronomy much, perhaps more astrology?
I used to really enjoy music, but unfortunately I'm quite deaf now and do not like most music I only half hear at best these days. increasing deafness was the main reason I stopped attending astronomy talks quite a while ago.
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

Deafness and astronomy initially may seem rather unconnected, but once ones hearing 'goes', it does cause lots of problems of the interaction with other astronomers/skywatchers as well I know Cliff. Listening to talks and lectures is hopeless! Giving talks and lectures equally so. Even wearing hearing aids, a mumbling or quietly spoken speaker is hard to follow in the dark. I really cannot demonstrate the camera obscura at Foredown Tower any more unless I explain to the audience that it is no use asking questions fired into the darkness during the talk, and suggest that they wait to the end and then direct them to a colleague. I gave up serving in the small café/shop too. TV programmes and films that do not have 'the words ' up, and generally music...hopeless! As for the current habit of wearing face-masks because of the COVID-19...say no more.
Holst's 'Planets Suite' was astrological rather than astronomical, although I used to enjoy it.
Keep looking up, regards mike
smerral

Post by smerral »

I like Holst's Planets very much - although from what I think I remember, I don't think Holst was really into astronomy much, perhaps more astrology?
Yes, there is also a large mythological element. It doesn't make it any less of a masterpiece of course. :) It would be interesting to imagine the kind of music that would result if it was conceived in purely astronomical terms. Certainly, Venus would not be the peaceful piece it is! :lol:
BRIAN
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

On a visit to Chichester, either to see the sundials or perhaps to visit the planetarium, [probably the former], I was surprised to come across Holst's resting-place in the Cathedral. There are two interesting large sundials on the building and each year this building has Peregrine Falcons nesting on the tower there. Another source of attraction for me.
As for 'The Planets', 'Mars' is forever connected in my mind with one of the Quatermass stories on the television, the one in which 'meteorite-like' objects hit the ground, burst open to give off a gas which left 'the mark' on people's faces. 'Jupiter' is also used as a hymn, I believe.
These two pieces are, to my mind, the best parts of the suite.
regards mike
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Brian & Mike
Sorry to be wittering on. However, I vaguely recall watching/listening to "The Planets" on TV some years ago & some clever devil had just written "Pluto" which was included in the performance.
I must admit I was disappointed when Pluto was officially demoted from the official list of major planets - BUT it does seem Holst got it right after all .
Best wishes from Cliff - PS of course Holst composed "The Planets" before Pluto was discovered anyway.