It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:47 pm

Post subject: The SUN - 17th November
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:32 pm 

Dear al(L)
Somewhat hazy but clear sky this morning when my wife & me travelled up on the Pennines where the hills were quite cloudy & misty. Stopped at one misted out view-point, where there was a "tribute" site consisting of flowers & teddy bears, obviously related to some recent road accident victims. (such Tributes are Not to my taste - I'm afraid). Who should then arrive but a couple of car loads of people adding new flowers. We journeyed on to another favourite Pennine location, passing a big load of fly tipping. The only consolation when we got to our last view-point for another brew was seeing a fantastic hunting bird which dived down and landed less than ten yards from us.
Back home early afternoon (& blue sky) I visually observed & imaged the Sun. Nice surprised to visually observe two obvious though small Sunspots.
Two images,one White Light showing 2No Sunspots, the other Ha revealing super-granulations & small bright-ish plage.
Best wishes from Cliff

Attachments:
bbhSun20181117_1415UTmeredith_52RxR.jpg
bbhSun20181117_1415UTmeredith_52RxR.jpg [ 64.13 KiB | Viewed 251 times ]
bbhSun20181117_1426UTmeredith_42R.jpg
bbhSun20181117_1426UTmeredith_42R.jpg [ 94.44 KiB | Viewed 251 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:59 am 

Took my scope out yesterday ZERO :(

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:59 am 

Cliff wrote:
Dear al(L)
Somewhat hazy but clear sky this morning when my wife & me travelled up on the Pennines where the hills were quite cloudy & misty. Stopped at one misted out view-point, where there was a "tribute" site consisting of flowers & teddy bears, obviously related to some recent road accident victims. (such Tributes are Not to my taste - I'm afraid). Who should then arrive but a couple of car loads of people adding new flowers. We journeyed on to another favourite Pennine location, passing a big load of fly tipping. The only consolation when we got to our last view-point for another brew was seeing a fantastic hunting bird which dived down and landed less than ten yards from us.
Back home early afternoon (& blue sky) I visually observed & imaged the Sun. Nice surprised to visually observe two obvious though small Sunspots.
Two images,one White Light showing 2No Sunspots, the other Ha revealing super-granulations & small bright-ish plage.
Best wishes from Cliff

What camera ?

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:10 pm 

Skyhawk
The camera I use for imaging the Sun, both in White Light used with 88mm f5 refractor or Ha using a 60mm Coronado Ha SolarMax scope is a Opticstar PL-131m (meaning monochrome Video camera) . I always use the same gear for Solar imaging and I usually state this on my images. I chose the Opticstar PL-131m because it was cheap but more importantly had a relatively large sensor (able to encompass the whole Sun disc using my 88mm refractor or SolarMax 60mm). I initially used that gear on a driven mount outdoors in our back garden. But unfortunately developed arthritis, which amongst other things stopped me night sky observing. However, I then found that I could use my Opticstar PL-131m video camera on an ordinary but sturdy photo tripod with pan & tilt head, getting 20 second video clips and keep the Sun contained on the PL-131m sensor with the camera fixed on the tripod. Although it is necessary to realign the camera frequently! So I now do 95% of my Sun imaging through our west facing back bedroom window.
I stack the 20second video clips using Registax version 5.
Best of luck from Cliff
PS -The PL-231m video camera is only CMOS not a CCD which is one reason it is fairly cheap. I think I paid £175 for it about 9 years ago & they still cost about the same.
If you want to get Upper-class Pictures you probably want a better camera, But the tackle serves my requirements pretty well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:05 am 

:)

Great images...........................

show off

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:36 pm 

Skyhawk
Thanks for your comment.
Although it might be a bit over the top !!!
My Sun images are pretty ordinary really. I use mostly relatively cheap equipment. That said my My Coranado Ha SolarMax 60mm was pretty expensive - although I got it cheapish because it was "shop-soiled". My refractor was reasonably priced for a decent 88mm f5. It was ironic though when I bought the refractor. The seller (an expert Deep Sky imager himself) query my intervention to buy such a short focus scope. Ironically he was trying to do me a nice favour, but when I was forced to drop Night Sky observing / imaging a few years later, I found the short focal ratio ideal for imaging the Sun with my Opticstar camera. However, I think my Opticstar video camera with big sensor although only CMOS was quite cheap.
Best of luck from Cliff