It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:30 am

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:02 pm 

This should look like the view through a small refractor assuming you're using an Amici prism diagonal. In my original photo the nebula had a distinct blue/green tint which I have removed since it always looks grey monochrome to me through my 80mm refractor.

Attachments:
180816-80-dumbbell-final.jpg
180816-80-dumbbell-final.jpg [ 200.51 KiB | Viewed 218 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:24 pm 

Ace, absolutely Ace, Jim!
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:10 pm 

That is why people are put off Astronomy, THIS is the sort of images that need to be shown in magazines, showing what the beginner should expect

I agree that magazines need to show full colour images but they give the wrong impression, people go out and buy a £1-300 scope and think they will see full colour eyepiece filling shots when in reality they see this.

I would like to see more of these "real" images along side in magazines.

As usual two months after Christmas there will be hundreds of cheap scopes back on ebay from disappointed users.

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:05 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
I agree with you, Skyhawk, on this. Those fancy brightly-coloured pictures on the boxes in which the scopes are packed must also ,"deceive to make a sale", along with impractical magnifications and drawings of huge planets and brilliant comets. Generally the nighttime skywatcher is presented with a basic black and white view with subtle tinges here and there. If one wants to see bright colours in the sky the best time in around dawn and dusk, and during the day with rainbows, sundogs and some haloes! Regards maf.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:50 am 

Yes...I do agree that telescope makers' marketing departments can get a bit carried away sometimes.

Another thought is that where I live the skies are fairly dark. For many living in built-up areas, their small refractor would show them even less.

Travelling to a dark sky site and/or getting a bigger telescope can help, of course, if you don't mind the added inconvenience.

But there is hope! Put a camera on your telescope and you can start to see a lot more, as many images in this gallery show very nicely.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:37 am 

Jim Smith wrote:
Yes...I do agree that telescope makers' marketing departments can get a bit carried away sometimes.

Another thought is that where I live the skies are fairly dark. For many living in built-up areas, their small refractor would show them even less.

Travelling to a dark sky site and/or getting a bigger telescope can help, of course, if you don't mind the added inconvenience.

But there is hope! Put a camera on your telescope and you can start to see a lot more, as many images in this gallery show very nicely.

Agreed but 1. Most beginners and some like me don't want to image and 2. People as said by the above poster MAF, are conned by (in my words) LIES on boxes offering 500x mag from a 2" scope or images of a lovely 3" Jupiter/Saturn.

In fact if the case was taken up they are illegal, false representation, and misleading, they do not state on the boxes that this is only what you will see if you use a camera

In fact that will give me something to do.

Attachments:
PRESS CARD NUJ  a.jpg
PRESS CARD NUJ a.jpg [ 43.5 KiB | Viewed 174 times ]
PRESS CARD NUJ  a.jpg
PRESS CARD NUJ a.jpg [ 45.44 KiB | Viewed 174 times ]

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:07 pm 

Dear al(L)
I can understand some of the concerns about disappointing views some people get looking through new telescopes. However, Nissan may have the ultimate answer unveiled at this years Hanover Motor Show recently. It's their Nissan Navara Dark Sky, Pick Up truck complete with ultra high performance Plane Wave Telescope. When observing at night the vehicle & scope only use red light & have reflective orange piping on seats aiding visibility inside the vehicle but not destroying observers dark adaption.
So after they sell their disappointing telescope Xmas presents they can get the new Nissan gear which will solve all their astro-observing problems.
Best of luck from Cliff