It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:28 am

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:13 pm 

I spent the night at Ribblehead Viaduct last night shooting some time lapse, star trails and an animated star trail. After selling my telescope gear (no space to use it since moving to Harrogate), I used some of the money to buy myself a hiking trailer and a drone. The trailer means that I can carry more kit with me without making my back and joints worse than they already are, after a bit of research online I got a Benpacker Trek from Benpacker in Germany and this was my first outing with it. I wanted to get to the viaduct before it was dark to shoot some drone footage of the area and while I was waiting for it to get dark a young couple (Ben and Sinead) and their dog came along and we got talking about cameras, drones and the night sky and before we knew it over an hour had passed. The time lapse and star trails were shot on my Sony A7Sii with a Samyang 12mm f2.8 fisheye lens with exposures of 30 seconds at ISO6400. For the drone footage I used some of the quick shot modes and active track (me leaving the site in the morning). This is a particularly nice dark site that is easy to get to by train although it never really got fully dark last night as it's still mid summer, I plan on coming back here in the autumn and winter months. The area is really scenic and apart from the occasional bleating of the sheep in the distance it was absolutely silent.
The video can be seen at the following link on my YouTube channel and it is available in 4K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLc93QN1_W4&t=20s

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:37 pm 

Nice imaging. Despite its apparent bleakness, the limestone country of the Dales has many attractions ( especially in the glens, with their caves and waterfalls ), including for skywatchers.
There are parts of the Dales that, for the time being, have escaped the ravages of light pollution.
A few winters ago, I stayed in the snow-covered village of Malham, and It was surprising how dark and clear the night sky was. Orion really shone through.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:15 pm 

The drone view certainly adds a new perspective to the video.
Do you plan to replace any of your (now sold) astro-gear in the future?

regards,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:34 pm 

This is a symphony played beautifully in light. Thanks. Kind thoughts, Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:45 pm 

Brian wrote:
The drone view certainly adds a new perspective to the video.
Do you plan to replace any of your (now sold) astro-gear in the future?

regards,

Hi
Probably not, unless we win an indecently large amount of money and we're able to move somewhere with plenty of ground to build an observatory. we have a small back yard with houses on all sides and telephone cables going over head and the front part of the house is right by the main road so it's not viable any more where we live. a couple of years ago I had my right knee replaced and as well as arthritis in both hips, ankles and my 'good' knee I have a shredded tendon in my left shoulder so carrying my gear on my back was getting increasingly painful and just before setting out on an overnight time lapse trip I was dosing up on Ibuprofen and Paracetamol as well as rubbing voltarol gel into my joints. This hiking trailer means that I can effectively take a lot more kit and 90% of the weight is supported on the axle so it's more comfortable. Altogether I took with me 2 cameras, 3 lenses, 8 batteries for the one camera and 12 for the other, 4 powertank batteries for the dew heaters, charging my phone if needed and other charging duties, 2 tripods, a Rhino motorised camera slider, my drone with 3 batteries, controller and spare propellors, two intervalometers, a head torch, GoPro 5 session camera with chest mounted gimbal, food and drink, an inflatable bed roll and my down suit. Now I can do some hyperlapse with the GoPro, landscape photography before it gets dark, drone footage, a static time lapse and a motorised time lapse, etc so I can now be more productive on each trip whereas before I only had the one camera with me and I had to make a conscious decision when planning the trip whether or not to take the slider
Best wishes
Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:12 pm 

For the disabled, a binocular mirror-mount can be a pleasure to use.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:15 pm 

Wow! Given your health problems you are working miracles :D . Keep up the good work,

best regards,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:39 pm 

brian livesey wrote:
Nice imaging. Despite its apparent bleakness, the limestone country of the Dales has many attractions ( especially in the glens, with their caves and waterfalls ), including for skywatchers.
There are parts of the Dales that, for the time being, have escaped the ravages of light pollution.
A few winters ago, I stayed in the snow-covered village of Malham, and It was surprising how dark and clear the night sky was. Orion really shone through.

One of my planned trips will be to the top of Malham Cove on the limestone pavement to shoot a time lapse