It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:28 am

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:40 am 

Despite their close appearance in the sky, NGC 5857 and NGC 5859 are actually a pair of apparently non-interacting galaxies. Their redshift, both at 0.0159, indicate they are close neighbours at a distance of around 220MLy.

NGC 5859 is classified as a barred spiral, SBbc. This a bit odd as it is difficult to see a bar, even on high resolution images http://www.caelumobservatory.com/gallery/n5859.shtml of the galaxy.

NGC 5859 is of apparent size 3' x 50" and magnitude 12.5, located on the border of Bootes, Serpens and Cor. Bor.

Taken on a misty, murky night, so not a great shot but showing some interesting features.
52 x 120 sec exposures through my 10" Newtonian reflector.
All the best,
David.

Attachments:
5859sigdbesmall.jpg
5859sigdbesmall.jpg [ 59.71 KiB | Viewed 679 times ]

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:46 pm 

If you had not mentioned the "murky night" we would never have known that seeing was not the best :) . It turned out rather well I think,

regards,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:43 pm 

Dear David
I agree with Brian, Nice ONE !
Looking around I think I can see several other much more distant galaxies - certainly 2 or 3 left another bottom right-ish.
At first glance I guessed the upper right of your middle pair is the further away of the two but closer inspection seems to suggest its core is bigger\brighter than the lower bigger galaxy ? I wonder??? So, I'll bet anybody ONE Pence (in Old Bit-coin money - 1800AD) that the smaller looking galaxy is nearer to us than the bigger looking one !
Best wishes from Cliff

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:58 am 

Dear Brian and Cliff,
Thank you both for your kind comments.
The size of the stars indicates the seeing was not great but we often get less than ideal skies down on the coast and I am convinced it is getting worse. Whether that is due to light pollution or air pollution I do not know but I do know that the seeing improves when the street lights go out at 1am, BST!
Cliff, you are right, the core of 5857 is smaller and brighter. I can't say if that means it's nearer or not. There is not a whole lot of data out there on these 2.
Thanks again,
All the best,
David.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:43 pm 

David
Since I stopped night sky observing I'm afraid my interest in the Deep Sky has dwindled (and modern cosmology is no more than fantasy land for me). But I felt genuinely interested in your pair of galaxies, of course my estimate of their relative distances is really no more than simple fantasising on my part - so perhaps I should have kept my mouth shut.
Best wishes from Cliff

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:43 pm 

Cliff, I always enjoy your encouraging and thought provoking comments, as I'm sure many others here do as well and long may they continue.
All the best,
David.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:23 pm 

David
Sorry, I forgot. You mentioned your concern that light pollution at your location seems to be getting worse. In my case since I have done virtually no night sky observing for 5 years now it would be difficult for me to comment. But just recently some horrendous security lighting has been installed on nearby old folks bungalows (excuse me if I've bored you before about it). However, it really is quite atrocious (although I understand the reason for it. If I was still a night sky observer, I do not know what I would do ?
I can only say, it's as well I stopped night sky observing when I did !
Best wishes from Cliff