It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:02 pm

Post subject: The fairly recent Sun
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:36 pm 

Dear Anyone
I gather we are (or may) still be hovering on towards a probably mildly shallow Solar Minimum (I think ?). However, the Sun still sometimes provides occasional nice surprise.
On 26th February I imaged a smallish active region, consisting of some tiny Sunspots (or perhaps biggish pores). Though subsequent images on the next few days did not reveal significantly developing Sunspots, there seemed to be only one very faint.
Whilst on 28th February I imaged a solar prominence probably more significant than anything I had imaged in recent past months.
Two images are now attached ----
Of course it would be premature band wagon blowing to even imply those relatively minor solar activities have any association with Beast of the East or storm Emma ! wouldn't it ?
Best wishes from Cliff

Attachments:
bbhSun20180226_1650UTmeredith_14R.jpg
bbhSun20180226_1650UTmeredith_14R.jpg [ 118.12 KiB | Viewed 574 times ]
bbhSun20180228crop1502UTmere_23R.jpg
bbhSun20180228crop1502UTmere_23R.jpg [ 4.25 KiB | Viewed 574 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:30 pm 

Dear Cliff, you were fortunate to get these images. I projected the Sun at 12.45 UT on the 26th but saw nothing of the little dribbly group of spots The transparency was not good and I only got a few moments when the Sun wasn't seen through distant snow flurries. Saw them on 27th in slightly fuzzy seeing and counted 3 spots, but you show more. Didn't notice them yesterday - only brief intervals in snow showers. Regards, Bob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:13 pm 

Dear Bob
Thanks for your comments.
Yes, I think I was very lucky. I couldn't believe what I was imaging initially because although the individual components of the active region (as I'll refer to it) seen were quite small, I hadn't seen or imaged anything quite as impressive for what seems a long time. That said, I also wonder if I got somewhat better seeing\transparency than I've had for a while as well and your comments possibly that might be the case. (In recent months I've actually wondered if my Sun observing gear might be getting the worse for wear (& tear). However, that pleasant experience got me wondering if local sky condition might be an ongoing problem problem (and arguably not just local to Manchester but possibly England or even UK as a whole ?).
Anyway, after imaging that spectacular little "active region" I was looking forward to (hopefully) imaging the new sunspots as soon as possible. Yes, next time, another surprise. Visually observing I saw no sign of my new sunspots, but imaging "just" revealed something.
That subsequently happened again. I'm still puzzled by my one "spectacular" image (or at least quite nice one as far as I'm concerned. However, it as helped reduce my concerns about my Sun observing tackle. Poor sky transparency might be an on-going problem in the our over-populated UK or might it be just another feature of so-called "global warming" !
Best wishes from Cliff
Best wishes from Cliff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:54 pm 

Lovely images Cliff. I particularly like the prominence - they are so impressive. The scale of them is very hard to grasp. Thanks for posting them.

Best wishes, Jeff.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:17 pm 

Jeff
Thanks!
I think in some respects I'm lucky, one is being retired - although retirement is not a totally wonderful panacea. Going back a decade the night sky was my main astronomical interest, now I pretty well totally shun the sky at night. Even so I certainly would not want to discourage anyone from night sky stargazing, but for anyone interested in doing practical astronomy having any problems that might spoil night observing. they mind find it worthwhile giving the Sun a go. Even though currently the Sun is going through a relatively quiet spell.
Best wishes from Cliff