It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:02 am

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:59 pm 

Hi everyone,

Someone recently showed me an image that an amateur had created of the moon, which was comprised of images taken along the terminator over a long period of time. I thought I'd quite like to try something similar, and have so far taken 2 terminator "runs", both of which I've stitched together, so I have 2 images of the terminator - one taken in the middle of last month and one taken last night. Of course what I hadn't quite understood fully was the moon getting closer and further away during the cycle, as well as liberation. So the 2 images don't really fit together at all!

This got me thinking...I could either re-scale and rotate all the individual frames and stitch them together in one image and hope that liberation won't cause too much trouble, or I could calculate the pixel scale, position of the moon it's self and lunar long/lat for each image and map them on to a sphere. Does anyone know if there's software out there to achieve such a thing?

Regards,
Mike

Meade LX-200 8" f/10, ETX-105, DSI, LPI, 10x50 bins, and a bucket of other glass and metal things
Join us at www.astra-news.net

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:39 pm 

MikeCoombs wrote:
and hope that liberation won't cause too much trouble,

That's what GWB said!

Quote:
or I could calculate the pixel scale, position of the moon it's self and lunar long/lat for each image and map them on to a sphere. Does anyone know if there's software out there to achieve such a thing?

Well, days were when Fractint used to map pictures onto a sphere. Or you could try with povray and a texture-map.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:25 pm 

Hey, Fractint - there's a blast from the past!

I now think that it requires a slightly different approach - tonight I've taken a complete mosaic of the moon (about 3,500 images all together - gulp!) and I'm the the process of stacking them with Registax and stitching them in Photoshop. If I do this every time I'll get much more useful data than one image of the moon comprised of sections of different phases. I might look at some 3D apps (I've got 3D Studio Max somewhere) but digitally mapping the entire moon time and time again is a good way to get to know it!

Meade LX-200 8" f/10, ETX-105, DSI, LPI, 10x50 bins, and a bucket of other glass and metal things
Join us at www.astra-news.net