It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:15 am

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:48 pm 

Just a moment ago Kaustav and I tried something silly. He had his webcam in his 'scope and trained on Jupiter. He then called me using Skype, turned on the video feed and.... in my copy of Skype here I could see Jupiter (which was nice, 'cos I'm clouded out right now). The image wasn't amazing, but it was Jupiter with the two main dark bands showing.

I might be his Google proxy (if you recall that old joke) but he's now my robotic telescope! ;)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:00 am 

Here's a screen capture of the second attempt. The first was slightly better (although Jupiter was smaller) but this isn't terrible in that you can see that it is Jupiter (click on the image for a full size version):

Post subject: Processed images
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:23 am 

Hi Dave,
That was quite an interesting experiment! I have done this on Yahoo messenger before and it worked out really well but this was the first time I tried relaying images from my telescope in realtime over Skype. It worked out quite well I thought. It's a shame the Philips Toucam doesn't show a very sharp real time image. The real detail only cames out after processing.

I processed all the AVI's I captured tonight in registax v3. Seeing condition are moderate to poor tonight. I noticed a lot of quivering and rippling in the AVI file. There was a very slight amount of high altitude haze in the sky and since I didn't have to use a dew shield tonight I'm assuming the atmophere was quite dry.

After imaging I took in the view with my eyes through the telescope instead of via the laptop. The four moons were lined up in almost a straight line. It was quite a spectacular site.