It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:23 am

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:51 pm 

...to observe, without having to analyse the data myself.

That might be asking too much, but first I want to introduce myself. I'm Matt, I'm 20 from York up in the ever sunny North. I went on a trip to Glasgow of all places last weekend, and found my passion for space observation (which I haven't done since I was like 11), rekindled by the "planetarium" at the Glasgow Science Centre. So, I dug out my old pair of binoculars from the last time I went to see a superbike race, and checked the weather websites. Ugh! The prospects were poor at best, and, checking over the last few days, we've had nothing but 100% cloud cover, and it's not looking likley in the next week.

So, I was looking for a website where you can check the weather in your areas for good days in advance, without having to check all the pages yourself, OR, the fastest way of finding out otherwise. I know my luck and I KNOW that the next clear night that does come along, I will have planned something I can't get out of otherwise.

Thanks very much to everyone for any advice.

Matt

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:37 pm 

Hello from a fellow York lad (not that I live there any more, but I lived there until I was 18 and was a member of York Astronomical Society for a while before leaving).

Different people tend to use different sources for this sort of thing, I don't think there's one site that'll give you a good picture. WeatherWeb is one I use from time to time.

Even if you do find a site that gives you a forecast you'll still find that it's not always right. I've seen forecasts (from numerous sources) that have told me I'm going to be clouded in and I've had a nice clear night; other times I've had the opposite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:44 pm 

Thanks very much Davep for your input. Is the York Astro society worht joining? I was looking for something local to join to tell me of places around York where I could most effectivley get away from the light pollution.

Thanks again, and again, any other suggestions are very welcome :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:50 pm 

flakmagnet wrote:
Is the York Astro society worht joining?

The last time I was a member would have been 1986 so any opinion I've got will be slightly out of date.

There's only one way for you to really know if they're worth joining: get along to a bunch of meetings and/or observing sessions, take part, join in, see how you get on.

And if you happen to run into Martin Dawson (trust me, you'll know when you have -- everyone does ;)) tell him I say hello.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:51 pm 

Hello and welcome flackmagnet.

I have used www.metcheck.com recently. It seems to be reasonably accurate but like Davep says no site is ever 100% accurate.

Here is a link straight to York. :wink: http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/tod ... pcode=york

Cheers,
Apollo

Post subject: predicting the weather
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:44 pm 

You could try this site folks http://pages.unibas.ch/geo/mcr/3d/meteo/

Click on Astronomy, then European Seeing Conditions, then your area. The whole site's a wealth of weather information and great fun to investigate further. Just about everything's clickable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:12 am 

A ggod site for weather forecasts is NETWEATHER.

For a link to this and lots of other UK weather observations have a look on the 'Weather to Observe' page on The Croydon Asronomical Societies web site at http://www.croydonastro.org.uk

JohnM
Webmaster Croydon Astronomical Society
Personal Web Page
http://www.johnmurrell.org.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:13 am 

Thanks John, and C.A.A. for the link, there's lots of good stuff in there.

Despite the wealth of data, I can't seem to find any prediction that suggests it'll be worth getting my telescope out, for the next seven nights at least! What a hobby eh? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:19 pm 

I don't think you are likley to get a 7 day accurate forecast - the weather predictions are just not that good. In general the 7 day forecast will give some indication but the weather often happens upto 3 days early or late.

The only option is to move to somewhere with very predictable weather - not sure where it is not in the UK or Europe !

JohnM