It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:05 am

Post subject: Redshift Licence woes
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:54 am 

Some time ago (probably about 5 years ago) I bought a discounted copy of Redshift 6 which I installed on my laptop. I also installed it on my wife's laptop to have a look at. One thing I noticed was that sometimes the laptop had to be connected to the Internet for Redhshift to start otherwise it would complain about an invalid licence. While a little frustrating because I couldn't use it away from the Internet to control my telescope, I simply used the free Stellarium instead and lived with it.

Then my laptop broke and I had to reinstall Windows and all of my software. When I came to re-install Redshift, I got an error telling me that the licence key was invalid despite the fact that I knew that I was entering the correct key. I rang the company and was told that the licence had expired as a maximum of two installations had been attempted. I accepted that really I should not have installed a second copy of the software on my wife's laptop and they accepted that I had just rebuilt my failed laptop and so the key was reset and I was able to re-install.

This was fine for a while but then it happened again. My laptop failed irreperably this time and I now have a desktop computer. Again I cannot install Redshift for the same reason. I find this frustrating to the point of being intollerable and so have given up on Redshift 6 and thrown it into the bin! I still use the free Stellarium and Skychart.

I do have a couple of questions however;

1. I was wondering however whether later versions of Redshift also have these silly restrictions?

2. Does other software like Starry Night also have this problem?

3. Is there actually any advantage of purchasing these commercial programs over the above free ones?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:09 am 

Well, I ended up buying Starry Night Pro and I don't regret it. Its an excellent piece of software!

Unfortunately, it has one niggle. The night vision mode is a bit strange in that it dims the screen but it does not turn red. Is this normal? I have been in touch with the vendor who says that it should work the same as in, say, Stellarium, but I have the same problem on two different computers, both running Windows 7, just that one runs Pro and the other Home Premium. The vendor also allowed me to install Starry Night Pro Plus, but this also had the same problem.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Well, I guess you can't have everything!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:04 pm 

Well the upshot is that despite their valiant efforts, not even the nice people at Simmulation Curriculum could resolve the Starry Night night mode issue but I was kindly given an upgrade to the Plus version as a gesture of good will. The AllSky CCD image is brilliant but one thing to bear in mind is that the software takes up a lot of space on the computer (approx 11gig!) when compared to the approximately 2Gb for the Pro version. However to me even the Pro version was worth it.