It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:29 am

Post subject: stellarium
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:06 pm 

hi im ash, im from north wales. im new to astronomy, im starting a course in november with open university. im disabled and i cant get outside to stargaze with my meade telescope. my telescope is on a tabletop mount in a room pointing at a south facing window, so when there are clear skies i go up to look. I've downloaded stellarium 11 but i dont know how to use it properly. i have set my home location on stellarium to cardiff, but i live in north wales, (snowdonia). how do i set my location, its not on the list of places. can i zoom out to look at the solar system on stellarium?

has anyone used worldwide telescope? im not sure what it is but its free. heres what it says about it, should i use this or use stellarium? i dont know how to use stellarium too well!

From web to desktop to full dome planetarium, WorldWide Telescope (WWT) enables you to explore the universe, bringing together imagery from the best ground and space-based telescopes in the world and combining it with 3D navigation. Experience narrated guided tours from astronomers and educators featuring interesting places in the sky. You can research and import your own data and visualize it, then create a tour to share with others.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:02 pm 

Hi Ash. Sorry, just saw your post so apologies for the delay.

I don't knowe anything about WWT, but it sounds a bit like Celestia, where you can zoom around the universe and look back at earth from Mars say.

I don't use Stellarium (I use Skymap) but the two are quite similar in being maps showing the sky as it is seen from any point on the Earth at any time. They are earth centered and for SkyMap anyway you can't fly around anything. What you do get is extremely accurate positional depiction and descrpitons for the stars, planets, comets, asteroids, DSOs eclipses etc between about 4000BC to 4000AD (+/-). This precision will also point a telescope accurately at objects with just a click of the mouse (subject to the telescope having been aligned according to it's manufacturer's instructions of course).

For using Stellarium to depict the sky outside your window it's not necessary to have your location super-accurate. Your nearest town on the list will do nicely. If you wish to drive a telescope then you will need to enter your exact coordinates though. You can find your lat/long from Google maps for instance, and many othe similar map sites.

For a handbook about using Stellarium try here:
http://portal.bentonville.k12.ar.us/kpa ... larium.pdf

HTH,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

Profile Send private message