It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:31 am

Post subject: a problem with registax
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:20 am 

Can anybody help. Saved some AVI's the other night of mars using my Toucam. When I came to open the AVI with registax and/or K3CCD tools the AVI wasn't recognised.
When I inspected the file it appears that my Real Player program has assigned itself to it and I cant open it at all.
Is this something other people have experienced or have I done something basically wrong. I presume now the file is unreadable and I will have to try again.
Good waste of 2 hours
THanks if anyone can help
Nick
Meade ETX125; 250mm dob

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: help
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:33 am 

not sure i can help, but i find i can only load as single frames if i try video files it only loads to 70% or so and stops. i e-mailed regi people they suggested my file was to big but it was way under what they say can be loaded at one time. i have yet to resolve this problem and have stuck to multple single frames. orion f6.3

Orion Optics 250mm f 6.3 Hi-Lux 1/4PV DOB
EQ6 GOTO c/w 250mm rings
Skywatcher Equinox ED 66 PRO
Star Raker Bino Mount
Nikon 8x32 SE
VIXEN LV Eyepieces 4mm 5mm 6mm 7mm 9mm 10mm 12mm 15mm 20mm 25mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:43 pm 

Was the problem with all your avi's? I have occasionally had the problem you describe when the last avi i have taken has exceeded the free space on the hard drive and so the recording stops prematurely. This seems to corrupt the file that has been acquired and it won't play in any media player never mind registax. I don't think having Realplayer as the default app for avi files would cause a Registax problem.

C9.25; 127mm Maksutov; 120mm f5 refractor; 20x80 binos; ToUcam; DMK21; Canon Digital Rebel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:01 am 

No I stopped the AVI as normal and it was only the 2nd one I had taken.
When I looked at the first one the file in the Toucam file folder it had a Real PLayer symbol on it. The 2nd one I could open. I then took a third and when I looked in the folder the 2nd one also now had Real PLayer logo on the file and I could only open the 3rd one . Its bizzare. I've taken Real PLayer off now and will attempt again soon as I can only presume that Real PLayer thinks its so clever that it asigns itself to any media file on my system saying it wants to play them when in truth it cant. :? It was a really good effort at Mars as well :cry: Never mind
Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:12 am 

I think there is a problems with AVIs in Registax if you record audio with them. Is that a possibility?

I did wonder about editing a file in Windows Moviemaker to cut the length down, but I tried it and Regi can't cope with the resulting file either.

Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:48 pm 

I don't think your problem is caused by Windows assigning your avis to Realplayer. All my avis appear as Realplayer files, the largest are about 0.5GB and Registax has no problem with that.

I wonder if your problem is caused by a Codec applied by the software you used? The fact that Realplayer won't run the avis seems to point that way. It certainly runs my avis. What program did you use to record your avis? I always use K3CCDTools, and the avis it produces are no problem for Registax either.

Reading the Registax site, it seems that using compressed avis could also be a problem, and they do suggest using Virtualdub :

www.virtualdub.org

to change the avi type to a Registax-friendly one

HTH,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:05 am 

Thanks for the comments Brian.
I used the software that came with the Toucam.
Right or wrong it seems to have done the job in the past. :?
I will have a look at this program you mention.
Could it convert the files I have made to a Registax readable version.
Regards
Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:43 pm 

Hi Nick.

To be frank, I reckon your avis that night got somehow corrupted. As you say, many observers use the Vlounge software which comes with the Toucam to collect their avis without problem, and then go on to process them in registax or K3. That's how I started out.

Can Windows read those avis? If you right-click and choose "properties" do you get a sensible report of file-size, frame numbers etc? If not the corruption looks to be the culprit. VirtualDub may be able to handle a corrupted file by selecting out the good frames into a new avi, but I don't have experience of doing it myself. Still, if it's freeware then maybe it's worth a try?

ATB,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed