It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:51 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:44 pm 

Thanks for them Ian. To be fair, almost all of those issues are general Skype issues (even more so when it comes to the overall business plan of the company), not IM specific issues.

I did want to pick up on one oddity though (which, again, would seem to be a general Skype issue, not an IM specific issue):

[quote]Security – is weak in Skype IM. Probably more of an issue for me living in France. It is not possible to go “ex-directoryâ€

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:30 pm 

[quote="davep"] [quote]Security – is weak in Skype IM. Probably more of an issue for me living in France. It is not possible to go “ex-directoryâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:36 pm 

That's really odd then. I've never had anyone get past the "only if..." setting for IMs (presumably you know that in Skype there's one setting for voice and one for IMs). Now, sure, I'm less likely to be the target for random attention than you with the profile you had (so I'm not really in a position to make a good anecdotal comparison), but, at the same time, my wife's never had it either and I know full well just how quickly an account with any hint of a female behind it gets attention.

Jabber and/or GoogleTalk does win at IM for me too though. The use of open protocols makes much more sense. I run a Jabber client that connects to a private server and to Google's server and I run Skype. Some people are on both and, most of the time, we'll chat via Jabber than via Skype.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:58 am 

Just noticed this thread. Not everyone knows that Windows includes a Skype style application for free. It's called NetMeeting. Microsoft have tried killing this of by hiding it in XP but it can still be run from it's executable 'conf.exe'. You can run this in XP from START> RUN, enter conf.exe in the box and click OK.

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children