It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:45 pm

Post subject: Skype
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:58 pm 

has anyone heared of this?

just got it from the uk astro imaging forum. its like msn and you can talk to people using the chat function. i have just joined up wondered if anyone esle was on it who wanted to chat astronomy. if you havent got it its worth getting. my user name is: mark_smith1986 hope to speak to some of you at some point.

mark

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:16 pm 

Yes Mark,

I did a test on Wednesday with a co-member of my Monastic Community. It is only voice and text, no cam, but we found it to be very clear and streamed well, even from my dial-up connection.

It seems to be free anywhere in the world computer to computer, but if you buy time it will dial a land line or mobile and you can chat from your computer to those without a PC. It says it is only about 1.2p per minute world wide.

Geoff

8x42 Opticron Imagic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:28 pm 

how did you find the normal text chat function for those without earphone or microphone i.e like me. plus you can have multi combos going with more than one person.

mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:59 pm 

Mark
My friend in Northumberland was using headphones, and I had a mic. and the system speakers.

The text was fine between the two of us.

I also have MSN messenger7 and have had a 3 way text chat with my Astro club members.

My Monastic Community have the use of an Open University software calle
FlashMeeting, and that is great. We have had 10 people worldwide with cams/ no cams just mics and no mics or cams. It is fantastic. Those without mics and cams can still hear the conversation through their computer speakers, but all can use the text chat. It works very well for multi- people chat. I suppose both MSN and Skpye will do the same. You are limited to those with Skype though, whereas MSN is universal. Suggest you use MSN unless you have a buddy with Skype.

I got Skype for voice to voice with a friend who has just gone to Zew Zealand.

Geoff

Geoff

8x42 Opticron Imagic

Post subject: Re: Skype
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:45 am 

mark_smith wrote:
has anyone heared of this?

Yes, I've been using it for over a year now.

mark_smith wrote:
its like msn and you can talk to people using the chat function.

Well, yes and no. There is some cross-over with the what MSN can provide but the primary purpose of Skype is Voice over IP -- an alternate form of telecommunication. The main features of Skype revolve around this and the chat and file transfer features are pretty much secondary additions (although additions that work rather well). The really handy features of Skype are to do with VoIP: SkypeIn (I've got a proper telephone number associated with my Skype account that anyone can dial and any computer I'm running Skype on -- no matter where that is -- rings), SkypeOut (cheap calls to landlines in many countries), VoiceMail and also call forwarding (with this I can forward calls to another Skype account or even to an actual number -- so if I'm out of the office I can have calls sent on to my mobile for example).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:48 am 

yes i have been using skpye as well, i find it great for taking pressure off my mobile phone usage.

someone mentioned u cannot have web cam conferencing with it, i think u can now:-)

I was sceptical with skpye, now i must admit its winning me over.

Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:06 am 

Asteeleleith wrote:
someone mentioned u cannot have web cam conferencing with it, i think u can now:-)

Version 2.0, released a week or two back, added support for video for Windows XP only. Works rather well though, I've been using the video feature a fair bit for work purposes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:54 am 

you are right from the point of view of business.
I think the great thing with skype is it also allows for the addition of another line which can be used for business, without going to the added expense of putting another in :-)
This is an avenue i am considering.

Post subject: SMSBug
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:52 pm 

Since you're all talking about money saving benefits of voice over IP (i.e. Skype), I thought you'd all be interested in a service I started using since yesterday. It's called SMSBug (www.smsbug.com). If you have a modern cell phone with GPRS (data) enabled and it can download and run Java applications (which most modern phones can do) then all you do is load up your phones browser, go to www.smsbug.com. It downloads a JAR file to you phone and installs it. You can have a new application which when run allows you to send SMS messages to any cell phone network in the world for only 3 euros flat rate per messages (although two networks in Italy inpose a charge of an extra 3 euros). The service by passes your own providers SMS gateway (SMS service centre number), instead using the GPRS data connection to rely your SMS messgae to the SMSBug gateway. You can buy SMS credits via your phone or online and you can track your usage and credits on the phone or via your computer's browser.

I have been using the service for 24 hours so far and have found it works really well although at times their servers can get very busy meaning that you have to resend messages a few times before the server responds with and "OK message sent" message.

I started using this after advice on www.digitalspy.co.uk because I was having problems sending SMS to the Hutch (Orange) network in India. They were not allowing the receiving party to reply to my messages (on o2) and when on Vodafone I could not send or receive messages to West Bengal region of India. SMS Bug has solved my problems and what's more it's much cheaper than paying 10p/message on the o2 network. Even if you add the cost of the GPRS data you're using (and most people have some data capacity for free per months - usually 1Mb) it's still cheaper than sending a message at 10p/message. Of course some of you might be on pay monthly schemes which means you can send a whole load of messages for free every month but for me I'm on pay as you go so this solution is cheaper for me.

Hope this service is useful to others. So far I'm quite pleased with it.

Have been using Skype for about two years now. It's excellent. It has got better over the years and offers video conferencing in it's latest version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:09 pm 

Just got skype setup myself a few days back, with the aid of a £10 headset off ebay :lol: seems to work ok.... as a complete "noob" to telescopes/astronomy then if anyone wants to add me for a general natter im usually on a couple of times a week 10pm till late when the wifes at work.... i "think" my Skype name is "andybedson" .... i did say i was new !! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:52 pm 

Skype is awesome! the quality of sound is outstanding if both parties are on skype. If the other person doesn't have it you can skype out which costs, depending on location, a couple of cents or so a minute. I mainly use it to keep in touch with friends in Russia and Estonia. It amounts to virtually free world wide calls. In fact in Estonia many people don't bother with a landline and only use mobiles and skype. When the whole country goes wifi there, which it is already well on the way to, you will be able to skype from a PDA and won't even need a mobile phone (in fact Sype started in Estonia).
feel free to look me up on skype, no prizes for guessing what my handle is there.
UncleVodka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:36 pm 

added you earlier in the week did you get it.

mark_smith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:23 pm 

I’ve been using (and not using) Skype for some time. Skype for voice calls computer to computer is OK. Other systems are equally OK and often considered better quality (e.g. GoogleTalk – which also uses interoperability standards and where necessary, they have published their extensions asa proposed extension to the standards). SkypeOut (your computer to landline) to not worth it. Some people use it for international calls but it’s far from the cheapest (there are cheaper telephone to telephone systems for international calls that do not require “up-front paymentâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:48 pm 

Deimos wrote:
For instant messaging it [Skype] is quite bug ridden

It is? What sort of thing do you have in mind? I've been using Skype's IM as one of my IMs for around 18 months or so now and I can't say I've run into any bugs with it -- Skype in general, yes, but not the IM side of things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:35 pm 

davep wrote:
Deimos wrote:
For instant messaging it [Skype] is quite bug ridden

It is? What sort of thing do you have in mind? I've been using Skype's IM as one of my IMs for around 18 months or so now and I can't say I've run into any bugs with it -- Skype in general, yes, but not the IM side of things.

Probably depends on which version you are running. A few examples:
Certain accidental key presses whilst typing an IM message can erase everything you’ve types with no “undoâ€