It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:52 am

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:18 pm 

HippyChippy wrote:
Thanks Gang that all makes sense. I need to look for something that says V6.x on the box, then update it through the SN Support page toV6.3.3.

You might want to wait a couple of weeks before updating. The 6.3.3 update has introduced performance and functionality problems for some users on both Mac and PC.
Simulation Curriculum Corp (who bought SN from Imaginova last year) have said on the Starry Night user group that they will issue 6.3.5 during the next fortnight.

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:59 pm 

Hi nealeh & giro & fellow SN users,

Well four months on from my last post and I'm now running a stable retail version of Win7 64bit on a reasonably beefy PC, and what I'd like to know is...

Has anyone got the latest itteration of SN (6.3.3) running flawlessly in Win7 64bit please?

I'd like to get V6.x.x. Enthusiast (retail) so would be grateful for unambiguous confirmation that this latest SN now works fully and as intended on Win7-64 machines.

There's a 'walk-through' on the Yahoo! Starry Night forums of a successful install on a Win7-64 laptop by sequentially updating to 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 etc., and also manually editing the resulting DEP Exception Errors after checking out the Event ID numbers etc. phew!, but even so, these rather technical posts seem conclude by saying that these 'fixes' worked in Vista so should work in Win7 too. Great! :roll:

Latest graphics drivers and OpenGL support are a crucial element too. I'll be using a Radeon5770 with drivers supporting latest OpenGL 3.2 which I'm hoping will be ok.

Fingers crossed and thanks in advance for any pointers, advice or cautions you can offer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:58 pm 

I have 6.3.6 SN Pro Plus running under W7U-64bit with no apparent problems. I did not need to do anything special other than follow the basic instruction to install the original install in XP Compatibility mode with a subsequent install of updates in 'normal W7 mode'. Nor have I needed to make any DEP changes. I have an Nvidia graphics card so cannot say if it will work with your ATI card.

I confess I've not used it too much recently, but installation, opengl graphics, automatic update of comet files etc.. have all gone well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:44 am 

Thanks for that nealeh,

I'd managed to get V4.5 installed and running on Win7-64 but it wasn't very happy and with no OpenGL support either - a shadow of its former self.

Have the well documented problems with Quicktime been resolved too? I could do with installing the latest iTunes/ Quicktime for my iPod etc. but have been holding off. Can you advise if Starry Night & Quicktime now happily co-exist on the same hard-drive?

Many thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:51 am 

Sorry HC I can't offer any advice.....I'm not using Win7 yet.
Hope the work front is improving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:30 pm 

HippyChippy wrote:
Have the well documented problems with Quicktime been resolved too? I could do with installing the latest iTunes/ Quicktime for my iPod etc. but have been holding off. Can you advise if Starry Night & Quicktime now happily co-exist on the same hard-drive?

Certainly works for me - I'm on the very latest release of QuickTime and have no problems - but you must be running version 6 of Starry Night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:15 pm 

I run the Complete Space and Astronomy Pack v 6.3.3. on my main PC.
As I also use Itunes which has to have the latest version of Quicktime and this is where the problem arises.

I have 4.5 Pro on my laptop which gets dragged out in the garden (but no Itunes on that so I don't have to have the latest version of Quicktime and I make sure I don't update it on that machine).

CSAP is a bit basic compared to the Pro version but is adequate for a quick look before an observing or imaging session. It certainly displays all the DSOs you might need and even tells you what celestial events are occurring in your neck of the woods.

Another way round it is to run something like Stellarium but personally I must confess to being an SN fan. I guess it's all a matter of personal preference.

Going back to Itunes, there are several excellent planetarium programs for the Iphone/Itouch which means you don't have to try and read a map or mess around with a bulky laptop. They obviously don't have the feaures Starry Night has, but they do the job. I have used both Starmap Pro and Istellar both of which I have found to be pretty good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:05 am 

I have Starry Night 5.8.2 and run Quicktime 7.4. Can you explain how to revert to Quicktime 7.3.1.? cell phone spyware I experience missing object catalogues issue.

Last edited by carlos08 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:02 am 

Gosh this is an old post! Don't do a lot of astronomy these days so it was lucky I saw it!

Try this website: http://www.oldversion.com/QuickTime.html

Uninstall the current version first. I'm assuming you don't use Itunes. If you do you will either have to get a later version of SN which is OK with the current versions of Quicktime or use a different planetarium program.

The Imaginova website does cover this issue in one of its knowledgebase articles.

Just make sure you switch off or refuse any Quicktime updates you get offered by Apple and they do update it quite a lot. You can disable updates in Preferences in Quicktime player which will help.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:56 pm 

Cheers for fielding that one Geoff : )

I gave up battling and reluctantly bought the 'Enthusiast' V6.x after my last posting. It runs just fine in Win7 64bit (although with an ugly UAC shield in the desktop icon), but be warned folks...

The Enthusiast version doesn't have a 'red screen' facility to save yer eyeballs :evil: - unlike the very capable (and free) Stellarium!

I bought the Enthusiast version after a recommend and because I didn't need the fancy telescope control features of Pro. There's no mention of this missing feature on their website but to my mind a 'red-screen' option is a must, so I've had to pay over the odds to download an 'upgrade' to Pro.

Okay I know I could use a sheet of red plastic, but that's not what I expect from paying software. My fault for being a SN fan probably but I do wish they'd get their act together!