It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:29 am

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:42 pm 

There was a well known glitch with Apple Quicktime that messed with Starry Nights planetarium software, removed sliders and Messier lists etc. Does anyone have the two working happily side by side on XP yet and if so, what versions please?

I have Starry Night Pro on an XP sp3 machine which definitely didn't agree with iTunes/ Quicktime, so I reluctantly binned the music and rolled back to an astronomy friendly version of Quicktime instead. See...

Starry Nights Support- "QuickTime 7.4 and later are incompatible with Starry Night 6.2.1 and earlier on Windows Vista and Windows XP." & previous forum postings entitled- "Starry Night/iTunes warning !! on Fri Feb' 8th 2008.

Is it all fixed yet? 'cos I could do with getting iTunes back :evil:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:25 pm 

I also had the original problem with QT and SN vs 5

I now have SN vs 6.2.1 working fine with QT vs 7.6.2(1324) and iTunes vs 8.20.23

Mind you iTunes keep prompting me to update QT but once bitten etc and to be honest I'm perfectly happy with the way iTunes performs now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:53 pm 

Imaginova never bothered to fix SN5 - it seems as though they blamed Apple rather than recognising their own software fault.

They don't even have a decent European upgrade path. With delivery their upgrade quote cost more than buying the new version.

I run SN 6.3.3 with iTunes 8.2.1.6 (now on Vista) and this seems pretty stable.

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:40 pm 

nealeh wrote:
I run SN 6.3.3

Thanks Neale for that update heads-up, I didn't know it existed.

Christ it was slow to download and no info' on what the changes are.
From a quick glance I don't see any major differences.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:50 pm 

Thanks for your very useful pointers.

There's a 'Starry Night Pro V6 Plus' for sale on EBay that I'm tempted to have a go at to get around this problem. Rather confusingly my existing version is also a Starry Night Pro but only V 4.5 which is obviously where the problem lies.

As Nealh says, Imaginova have never attempted to remedy the situation and instead have happily stood back and let it stay 'broke'.

Just to clarify - Gyro you ARE running SN & iTunes/ Quicktime on XP right?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:34 pm 

HippyChippy wrote:
Just to clarify - Gyro you ARE running SN & iTunes/ Quicktime on XP right?

That's correct, however it is the Enthusiast version, not Pro.
"Touch wood", I have not had any compatability problems.

If you buy off eBay make sure you get a valid registration code for the SN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:02 pm 

Cheers Gyro,

and thanks for for registration code reminder. For the money I'm tempted to give the EBay one a punt as I certainly don't feel too kindly disposed towards Imaginova and their slack attitude.

All this because I'm using a blasted iPhone (see previous subject). I was quite happy with my old astro' software setup and using an alternative to iTunes to load up the iPod, all without any DRM hassles or advertising guff.

Progress - Pah! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:57 am 

HippyChippy wrote:
and thanks for for registration code reminder

If you create a user id at http://www.starrynightsupport.com/regis ... /login.php you can obtain a proper new registration number linked to your i.d.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:18 am 

HippyChippy wrote:
All this because I'm using a blasted iPhone (see previous subject). I was quite happy with my old astro' software setup and using an alternative to iTunes to load up the iPod, all without any DRM hassles or advertising guff.

You could try one of the free or commercial products listed here, or [url=http://lifehacker.com/394046/copy-music-from-your-iphone-or-ipod-to-your-computer-for-free[/url]here[/url].

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:32 am 

Thank you all for your very helpful comments.

Would I be right in assuming that if I bought Starry Nights V6.0. and registered in the usual way, it would check for updates, refresh the cometary data etc, and whiz me on up to V6.3.3 which I gather from Gyro's post is the latest itteration?

Just trying to establish where the bar lies for working with recent versions of QT/ iTunes. What are the version numbers you folks had on the box when you bought it - download only versions make this a harder question to answer of course :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:18 pm 

HippyChippy wrote:
and whiz me on up to V6.3.3

It won't whizz you anywhere :(
After installing vs 6, go to HELP > 'Check for Updates' and download any from the web. ie 6.3.3
SN ship only the basic vs 6 disc.

Comets etc will update as before each time you open SN.

As far as I know vs 6 did not have problems with QT, only vs 5 and earlier.
This was certainly my experience.

PS, I have replied to your other thread on iPhone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:59 pm 

HippyChippy wrote:
Would I be right in assuming that if I bought Starry Nights V6.0. and registered in the usual way, it would check for updates, refresh the cometary data etc, and whiz me on up to V6.3.3

The whiz part aside then yes - this is what the SN Support site displays if you search for, say, SN Pro Plus:

The 6.3.3 release note are here and tips and tricks for new 6.3.3 Features here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:30 pm 

Thanks Gang that all makes sense. I need to look for something that says V6.x on the box, then update it through the SN Support page toV6.3.3.

No point in trying to upgrade my perfectly good V4.5.2 just because Imaginova are too lazy to fix it, it's just not cost effective/ possible.

Thanks for the nifty screen capture there nealeh, I did have a look around the SN website but got put off by the zillions of variants and modules to be downloaded separately, slowly, and probably expensively.

Gave up on the EBay option - the vendor seemed too dodgy. Been 'burned' before when I paid for a pair of glow in the dark Saturn t-shirts that never showed up. Arf Arf, no pun intended :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:34 pm 

Might be worth you trying a 'wanted' ad' under classified.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:08 pm 

I may already be sorted for a copy Gyro, will know in the next 24 hours or so... drums fingers patiently:wink:

Can't see any of our lot deciding they don't want their latest version of Starry Night for much less than R.R.P, though funny you should mention that as I was just thinking of 'almost giving away' my boxed V4.5 with manuals etc. on our BUY/SELL once I'm up and running with a newer version and everything's stable once again. It's always nice to help out others in these straightened times. Would need to stress the recipient was a non iTunes user otherwise this whole thread would just repeat itself again.

Just been Googling for Starry Nights info on the InterWeb and was startled to read my own postings on this very thread on about the seventh search page! Pity as it looked like the bloke know what he was on about... 'till I realised it was me.

Always open to helpful P.M.'s.