Venus after midnight BST

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

michael feist

Venus after midnight BST

Post by michael feist »

Please note that I have completely removed all of my original message as the whole posting as it has become non-astronomical and argumentative. maf
Last edited by michael feist on Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 9 times in total.
skyhawk

Re: Venus setting after midnight BST

Post by skyhawk »

michael feist wrote:[There was a previous posting about this but IB could not find it.]
11-12 April MMXX; I awoke well before 2400 or 0000 hrs BST midnight, grabbed 8x30 binoculars and a watch and went to the nearby park to try to see Venus setting after midnight BST. Generally the sky was clear although rather murky low down. Initially observed from the main football ground,from where Venus was well shown but dimmed and quite red in the binoculars due to the murkiness. Then decamped to the higher pitch from which I could make out the red lights on the Truleigh Hill masts, the nearby building sight and Venus soon fading and only being visible in 8x30s, two fovs to the left of the Masts. Venus finally disappeared at 0007 BST. Then returned home to bed, having succeeded! regards maf

YOU went OUT to the nearby PARK regardless of the time, even though we have been TOLD to STAY HOME, really !!!!!, I would not have admitted to this on a forum, 10,000 dead, 20 NHS workers and, enough said
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (80.19 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you
nigeljoslin

Post by nigeljoslin »

Bet it was packed at that time of night! :lol:
Skywatcher 350P f4.65, Skywatcher StarTravel 102 f5, Adler Optik 9x63 binoculars
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

There is currently no restriction in visiting ones local park for exercise and mental health, walking your dogs or walking through it on the way to the local shop to buy necessities only in meeting friends, picnics and sports and in groups and using the children's play area, which is closed. The important thing is social distancing, keeping two metre apart at least, unless with someone you live with. The "stay home" means that you should not travel. Walking 100 yards from my garden gate to an empty park is hardly traveling!
As can imagine the small local park at midnight, about the size of 4 or 5 football pitches, and only 100 yards from my house is completely deserted and the nearest person was in the houses around it, perhaps two hundred yards or more at least away, and no doubt they were abed as well.
I would rather you did not lecture me on this point.
regards maf
Last edited by michael feist on Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

It is really fascinating to observe Venus at this particular time. I hadn’t focussed on quite how late the planet has been setting recently, so it was really interesting to read your observation attempt.

Best wishes, Jeff.
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

michael feist wrote:There is currently no restriction in visiting ones local park for exercise and mental health, walking your dogs or walking through it on the way to the local shop to buy necessities only in meeting friends, picnics and sports and in groups and using the children's play area, which is closed. The important thing is social distancing, keeping two metre apart at least, unless with someone you live with. The "stay home" means that you should not travel. Walking 100 yards from my garden gate to an empty park is hardly traveling!
As can imagine the small local park at midnight, about the size of 4 or 5 football pitches, and only 100 yards from my house is completely deserted and the nearest person was in the houses around it, perhaps two hundred yards or more at least away, and no doubt they were abed as well.
I would rather you did not lecture me on this point, but understand that your condition makes you do so.
regards maf

This is changing the rules to suit

As someone on another forum said "What part of Stay Home don't they understand. Heavier fines I think is needed." what part of the rules don't apply to you ?,I fancy a BBQ for my mental health so i'll go to my park at 1am, taking binoculars to look at the night sky is NOT exercise, any more than going for a trip bird watching.

Yes I know I was going the wrong way down a one way street but it was after midnight and no one was around............. duh

Finally MY CONDITION, don't insult me if MY condition shows I have more intelligence than you and more consideration for the now 10,640 dead and our NHS staff, I stay home even if only on MORAL grounds
Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

On a personal note......

As a Journalist who works mainly on disability discrimination, rights and disability in the community your comment is bordering on Disability Discrimination, be very careful what you post

"I would rather you did not lecture me on this point, but understand that your condition makes you do so. regards maf"

Disability discrimination, in other words blaming my Autism for the comments I make is illegal, tread carefully, my stating I have Autism is to explain that I may come across as blunt, NOT STUPID or unintelligent.

I will say no more on this now unless pushed as I don't wish to bring the forum into disrepute.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rom-others
Image4.jpg
Image4.jpg (37.47 KiB) Viewed 1111 times

michael feist

Post by michael feist »

I have removed any words that may have upset you, Skyhawk. maf
In fact I have completely removed my previous message now. Sorry. maf
jeff.stevens

Re: Venus after midnight BST

Post by jeff.stevens »

Mike, please carry on posting, as I really enjoy reading your observations - they encourage and inspire me to go out and observe; especially your daylight observations of Venus.

I would have stayed up to watch Venus set, but I wanted to get up early to watch a waning Moon.

Best wishes, Jeff.