Alpha Monocerotids 2019 Observations ?

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

JohnM

Alpha Monocerotids 2019 Observations ?

Post by JohnM »

Cloudy & raing here in Carshalton for the Alpha Monocerotids this morning.

There seemed to be an increase in the frequency of meteors on the IOW2 meteor 'radar' a bit after the predicted peak. Difficult to be sure but I would have said around 04:50UTC. At one stage there were 7 echos in 2 minutes.

The Canadian Meteor Radar (https://fireballs.ndc.nasa.gov/cmor-radiants/) seems to show an unnamed radient above Orion somewhere near 126 Tau as far as I can make out.

It is not clear what this shower is it looks quite strong but is not on the IAU list. I don't have last years plots to see if it is an annual occourance and I don't think they are archived on the net.

The attached is the record from this morning - see the note we may have to wait to tommorrow to see any Alpha Mons that were recorded. They should come from a radiant to the East of Orion.

Did anyone get any observations ?
Attachments
Note the detections shown are the sum of those over the last day. They may not include any Alpha Mons yet.
Note the detections shown are the sum of those over the last day. They may not include any Alpha Mons yet.
skymap-activity-20191122.png (211.59 KiB) Viewed 915 times
Engineer @ Work - Astronomer @ Play
nigeljoslin

Re: Alpha Monocerotids 2019 Observations ?

Post by nigeljoslin »

It was cloud for me, John.... :(
Skywatcher 350P f4.65, Skywatcher StarTravel 102 f5, Adler Optik 9x63 binoculars
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

If this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHs7ljh ... e=youtu.be is to be beleived thare were some observed from Tenerife. Space weather.com says 90 but a lot I see seem to be coming from directions other than from the Alpha Mon radiant which is towards the lower left of the images. Around 05:15 Orion is obvious as is Sirius but I have difficulty working out which is Procyon - it might be near the top of the frame ?

There seems to be some enhancement around 05:00 from the correct sort of area but it is difficult to be sure without tracing the meteors.

As for the starlink sattleites around 06:20 perhaps they are best shot down !
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

A couple of tips when watching the Video above.

1:play it in HD if possible
2: Slow the playback speed to 0.25 or slower if possible particually around 04:40 when the peak was predicted.
3: The image shows Alpha Mon highlighted with the Yellow Circle. The plate solve is not perfect due to the wide angle lens so Orion is displaced but the fit is good enough for a guide.

See how many Alpha Mons you can count - there is a figure on spaceweather.com but it is not clear if this is only alpha mons.

I was pleasantly suprised that Astrometry.net solved this field - the image quality was poor and it is distorted due to the wide angle lens.
Attachments
Plate solved image from the video stream near the time of the predicted peak.
Plate solved image from the video stream near the time of the predicted peak.
3761332-edit.jpg (245.52 KiB) Viewed 842 times