It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:54 am

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:30 pm 

While observing comet Iwamoto, which I found on 10th Feb and 11th with 16x50 and 25x75 binoculars I noticed a faint star just above Regulus in Leo which didn’t appear on my star atlas. Was this a galaxy, UGC 5470? It was very compact and star like even at 170x mag. with a 6” reflector.
I caught the comet with this scope on the 12th, rather dim and hazy.

Harry

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:30 am 

Some of my photos from last night included Regulus and although the photos show stars down to about mag 13 there is no star that isn't on SkyMap. What atlas are you using? UGC is not visible on the photos either, and it couldn't be confused for a star as it is a very faint but large dwarf galaxy, also known as Leo 1. It was only discovered using the 48-inch Schmidt telescope at Mt Palomar.
Robin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:25 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
Wednesday, 13/02/19, 0330-0405 , UT: The previous evening had been cloudy and it was not until 0330 UT that I was able to look for Comet Iwamoto again. However by then it could not be seen from the back garden and had to be content with viewing from and through the downstairs west and road facing window. Used 15x65 Acuter on a tripod. Located, but with a little difficult, the fuzzball of the comet, below a roughly pentagonal group of 7-7.5 magnitude stars. Adjacent to the comet was a very neat triangle of 8th magnitude stars. None of these field stars were labelled in Uranometria. The comet was best seen by slightly moving the telescope as conditions were not that good. (Obs.#5). Regards maf.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:08 pm 

Thank you for your reply Robin, I use Catre Du Ciel. As Regulus is a multiple system perhaps I saw the brightest of Regulus's companion. What do you think?

Harry

Harry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:32 am 

13th-14th February, 2355-0025 UT (midnight): Conditions were rather poor with some streaks of cirrus and the Gibbous Moon had not set. Observing with the Acuter 15x65 from the back garden at least hid the Moon from view. Comet Iwamoto was located via Epsilon (fl.17) + its two very wide companions, across to Alterf - Lambda (fl.4) Leonis, and then down to two stars of 6.5 and 7.0 magnitudes. These two pointed to the comet at a distance of less than these two stars were apart and then about the same distance away, the comet moving very fast in the half a hour. The rather poor conditions reduced the cometary fuzzball to a rather small and faint patch. And so to bed. (Obs. #6).

14th February, Wednesday, 0255 UT: Awoke to find that conditions had greatly improved, the Moon had set and the cirrus had dispersed. By taking the scope to the top of the small garden , I could see Leo just before it disappeared behind the house roof. Using the same instrument and the same guide stars, the comet appeared much brighter and much more distinct than early and now much further from the two stars. Of course still with the vaguest of edges. (Obs.#7). Regards maf.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:11 am 

Quote:
As Regulus is a multiple system perhaps I saw the brightest of Regulus's companion. What do you think?

As you first spotted the star using binoculars I'm sure you wouldn't have seen the faint and close companions to Regulus, but it does have a mag 7.9 companion about 3 arc minutes away which you could see, and which is shown on my copy of Cartes du Ciel. Maybe you had a lower magnitude limit set, or hadn't downloaded the additional catalogue for this software.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:00 am 

Friday, 15th February, 0025-0035 UT: Brilliant moonlight flooding the sky (and it will get worse for some
time to come!). Used the Acuter 15x65 from the back garden. Now in Cancer and located from the row of stars including fl.77 (Xi) up to fl.69 (Nu) Cancri. Between this star and very faint pair of stars, I could just make out intermittently, by averted vision & moving the telescope, a very difficult to see, fuzziness. Probably my last sighting of Comet Iwamoto. (Obs. #8). Regards maf

Last edited by mike a feist on Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:05 am 

Friday 15th: Saw the comet again at 4.30 in the morning, this time during a short, unplanned, session with my 9x63 binoculars. Like you, MIke, I could barely make it out in a sky less dark than last time. And yes, now in cancer, what a shifter!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:46 pm 

Robin
With hindsight I would have been using my scope when observing the companion to Regulus, sorry for the confusion.
You spoke of star catalogues in Carte du Ciel - I have them all ticked in Setup/Configuration but the star still doesn't show and stars down to at least 10th magnitude are displayed. Do you think my settings are correct?

Harry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:38 pm 

Dear Harry,

just a suggestion, but could your star have been an internal reflection (possibly in the eyepiece) of the bright star Regulus ? I can find nothing on SkyMap Pro , nor on a few images of the region published on the web, and which show clearly Leo 1.

regards,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:34 pm 

Dear Brian,
Thanks for your comments but I have never noticed internal reflections before. I have seen a screen shot of SkyMap showing star HDO 127 which could be a candidate for my sighting, but I will wait until the moons wanes before checking again.
I think my best chance of seeing the comet again was on the 18th when it would have been easy to find near Castor but of course the Moon was rather overwhelming. Perhaps the next comet will be brighter!
I see you live at Wellingborough not far from me now that I have recently moved (I must update my profile); I hope your skies are less polluted than mine near Higham Ferrers.

Harry

Harry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:47 pm 

Hi Harry.

Apologies, I thought HDO127 had been discounted as a candidate. Oops! must pay attention :)

I live on the southern edge of Welly district, we overlook farmland and north Bedfordshire to the south. We've been here over 40 years now, and the light pollution has increased during that time for sure. Sodium lamps here were replaced by LED lighting a handful of years ago, and there has been a slight reduction in the overhead spread of light pollution on nights when the atmosphere is clear, but the slightest haze, or wetness of the tarmac (reflecting light upwards) and the pollution is very visible. Then again to the SE horizon we have the light-dome of Bedford and to the SW that of Milton Keynes, both 20+miles away. Oh well, that's astro-life in the 21st century ,

regards,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:45 am 

I also observed him several times till now. These days he still looks giant, and he comes now into rich areas of Auriga. He will get close to M36 and M38, try it the following evenings.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:59 pm 

:wink: so lucky with those clear nights now, just saw M36 and Iwamoto, just both in the 1.5° eyepiece at 40x, and of course the marvelous milky way star field as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:18 pm 

This evening the comet obviously was more difficult, seems much fainter. But again with the 1.5° (40x) eyepiece both M36 and Iwamoto, and only a short move to get both M38 and Iwamoto.