There will be a total lunar eclipse tomorrow morning. Timings are as follows:

Moon enters penumbra: 02:34:43
Moon enters umbra: 03:33:16
Start of totality: 04:40:30
Maximum eclipse: 05:11:59
End of totality: 05:43:30
Moon leaves umbra: 06:50:44
Moon leaves penumbra: 07:49:15

I'm getting hopeful, the forecast is clear sky all night!

Good luck, everyone!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Total Lunar Eclipse
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:11 pm 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
Looking good here on the South Coast too. Moon well up now...now just have to wait for it to trundle across the sky to west and into the Earth's shadow. It is going to be a long long wait..........

(The previous lunar eclipse was a complete disaster as a large group of people spend hours on Foredown Hill during the eclipse hoping that a gap in the cloud would be just in the right place to at least show something...but it never did!)

Regards maf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:26 pm 

My previous one was ok, this time at THIS time !!! I will be in BED

Attachment:
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg [ 101.48 KiB | Viewed 1333 times ]

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:57 am 

Lunar eclipse 21/1/19. Exceedingly lucky with the weather, it was totally clear here in the land of the South Saxons! Cold and clear. Was able to observe from in doors, firstly from the downstairs window and then, when a large tree blocked the view, decamped to the upstairs room. The last part required going outside to the Park. Used 10x50 binoculars on a tripod and a handheld 8x36 Nikon binocular. Used the latter only when in the frosty Park. Made 16 sketches of the progress of the eclipse and took many photographs - have as yet not printed any of these- with camera alone. At totality thought it to be a rather dark eclipse, with some pinkishness here and there, any redness best visible in binoculars or even unaided eye. The eclipsed Moon was in line with Castor and Pollux and near M44 (The Praesepe) and near totality one could pick out the stars of this cluster. At that time I could also observe R Leonis, which was about as bright as 18 Leonis. The trip to the Park also produced a lovely view of Venus with Jupiter about half the fov below, in the 8x36 binocular. Now to have a look at the photographs and see how many are worth printing! Regards maf.

Last edited by mike a feist on Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:38 am 

Well done Mike!

I was under a blanket of cloud, which didn’t look promising. I checked at 3:00am and it looked too bleak to justify staying up. Then I got up at 4:30 for an hour, without success. Checked again at 5:30 and still no joy.

Great to read your description of the event.

Best wishes, Jeff.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:58 pm 

Hiya folks,

Wonderfully clear here, too, in the land of the South West Scots!

I used my 4" refractor with a magnification of 20x, to see a beautiful eclipse. Come near-totality, the bottom third of the moon was a deep red with a lovely white edge to the remaining small crescent. And then a couple of small stars appeared in the field of view - fantastic, what a sight!

I have yet to upload the pictures to the computer, but looking at them on the back of the Canon they failed to come near what I saw through the eyepiece.....but at least some of them looked clear!

Best wishes,

Nigel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:00 pm 

Sounds fantastic, Nigel. I can almost visualise it.

Hope to see your pictures on here.

Best wishes, Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:02 pm 

Hi Jeff: Just finished writing up notes in my diary and been to the chemist to print some of the photographs but still have to put them in my Album. Feeling just a tad tired now, having arisen at about 3 am and have not rested since. Still a very very satisfactory observing session, thanks to the good weather this time here. Zzzzzzzzz......Regards maf.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:01 pm 

Phochh! What a let down the pics are....oh well, these two are okay, in a pale sort of way...not bad for a `held to the eyepiece' effort!

Cheers, Jeff.....it was so good through the eyepiece!

Attachments:
Copy of ECLIPSE 2.jpg
Copy of ECLIPSE 2.jpg [ 37.96 KiB | Viewed 1289 times ]
Copy of ECLIPSE.jpg
Copy of ECLIPSE.jpg [ 60.71 KiB | Viewed 1289 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:49 pm 

Mostly cloudy or totally cloudy, so didn't see the eclipse.
There could have been clear spells, but I didn't look the whole time.

One eclipse in the 1990s here was so dark that the Moon almost disappeared. It was very difficult to find the Moon.

Minus 2C Northerly 2 knots Cloud base 3,400ft 1024 hPa. Visibility 5000m haze about 9.00UT.

Regards,
David

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:51 pm 

Did anyone else catch an image of the star HD67150 that emerged from behind the eclipsed moon at 050808 today ? I was observing from Carshalton on the London Surrey Border, England.

I did not get a good time for the event as it was not publicised and I only noticed it when I was reviewing my images. The time above is within a minute of the emergence time shown on Cartes du Ciel.

Regards

John Murrell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:24 pm 

Mike: Hope you have managed to catch up on your sleep. You will have some wonderful memories of the event to look back on. I put more and more photographs in my diary now, as I find they help prompt my memory when I look back on them. Mine serves as both a general diary and an astronomical one combined though.

Nigel: lovely to see your photos, and again you have those wonderful memories at the eyepiece which will stay with you.

John: well done on catching the emergence of the star. I haven't caught an occultation (reappearance or disappearance) for some time.

Best wishes, Jeff.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:10 am 

Yes, you are right, Jeff. A wonderful memory. Such memories seem to endure. The memory of the 1999 total solar eclipsed still lives with me powerfully.

John, I did see a star close to the bottom of the moon. Was this the one you are referring to? There was another star a little further away, in my field of view. I registered their presence, but then the moon claimed me back.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:20 am 

nigeljoslin wrote:
John, I did see a star close to the bottom of the moon. Was this the one you are referring to? There was another star a little further away, in my field of view. I registered their presence, but then the moon claimed me back.

Nigel it is the star to the right of the moons limb at about 4 o'clock in the orientation of the image. It was within a minute of the reemergence time. I would have takena sequence if I realised. Before 050508 UTC from my location it woudl not have been visible. The timing will be different from your location due to parallax - you need to check with something like Cartes du Ciel. The transparent moon feature is quite useful to spot any occultations and when they will emerge. :D

Note to self have a look for occultations before the next Lunar ecllipse in 2016 ! I might have found out why the Moon image is fuzzy by then as well. :? :wink:

John Murrell

Attachments:
File comment: (C) John Murrell 2019
20190121-050808-crop-small.jpg
20190121-050808-crop-small.jpg [ 26.31 KiB | Viewed 1251 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:08 pm 

Wow, a straight line could drawn through:

Sun-Earth-Satellite-Meteor-Moon-Star.

Some kind of record?