2015 Geminids

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Guy Fennimore, Brian

Alastair McBeath

2015 Geminids

Post by Alastair McBeath »

Although the annual Geminid meteor shower has been underway for almost ten days, it's approaching its very best now, most likely to be at its strongest (based on previous years' results) tonight, 2015 Dec 13-14, and right through to the late evening tomorrow, Dec 14-15. You can find details on the shower here, with four more items describing the shower and how to observe it here, among the SPA webpages.

Despite the abysmal weather - notably the apparently endless gales since early November here in NE England - I was able to catch a glimpse of Geminid activity last night, Dec 12-13, but just for about thirty-five minutes after 23:30, as the day's clouds broke up only around 23h, and returned soon after midnight, if then without the day's rain at least... Seven Geminids and four sporadics in a limiting magnitude (LM) +5.6 sky in that time, so pretty healthy activity under less than ideal conditions, and largely what I'd have expected about 24 hours ahead of the maximum, with rising Geminid activity.

Definitely worth keeping an eye out under any better skies overnight tonight and tomorrow if you're able, regardless of the weather forecasts in advance. But do wrap up well - the frost's barely shifted today hereabouts, while ice on the paths last night after all the rain this week made for "interesting" walking conditions to get to my usual garden observing spot, barely ten yards from the door!
brian livesey

Re: 2015 Geminids

Post by brian livesey »

Nothing but a twilight greyness here Alastair, day after day... .
brian
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

The Twilight Zone.

Same here. Although I had a 6 minute clear spell 2015 Dec 14 00.23UT onwards, but saw no meteors.

Regards, David
Alastair McBeath

Yes, Dec 13-14 was disappointing here too, with heavy overcast, yet more rain, mist then fog after midnight till beyond dawn. Hazily clear at times through the day, with a very watery Sun, but back to overcast, mist and fog tonight (14-15) so far.

Spaceweather.com has links to what's been happening elsewhere. The NASA all-sky fireball cameras recorded 107 of 148 fireballs as Geminids on Dec 14, for example, up from 15 out of 29 on Dec 13 and just 6 of 21 on Dec 12. Of course, the actual fireball numbers are affected night to night by weather conditions, so the percentage of Geminids per night is a more useful value, at 72, 52 and 29% on the three respective nights. The Canadian radar meteor data (CMOR) is shown there today (Dec 14) as well, with the radiant nicely demonstrated, plus links to an online live radar meteor audio feed, plus their usual real-time meteor image gallery, which has a few Geminid images in from recent days.
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

Zero here too! disgruntled south-saxon skywatcher, maf!
Alastair McBeath

And pretty much ditto for Dec 14-15 here as well, though there was a short-lived break over the eastern half of the sky around 23:30, in which conditions remained very hazy, lasted only a few minutes, and (unsurprisingly, given how few stars were visible) produced zero meteors, unfortunately.

Despite this, Colin Cooper at Tynemouth, not that far from me, managed to image one Geminid around 20:20 on Dec 14, again during a solitary, brief break in the fog and overcast. You can see his photo here, posted among the Spaceweather.com's recent meteor photos.
David1952

Post by David1952 »

Well we had a good night here in France! 40 meteors of which about half were identified as Geminidsby UFO Analyser. Unfortunately the weather closed in after about 0200Hrs UT.

Its grey here today though so I will have to wait and hope.

David
nigeljoslin

Post by nigeljoslin »

I too am immersed in seemingly interminable gloom...... :(
Skywatcher 350P f4.65, Skywatcher StarTravel 102 f5, Adler Optik 9x63 binoculars
meteorB

Post by meteorB »

Hi All,
From the northerly climes there is not a lot to be seen (usually).
So since 2005 I've been taking a short winter break in Tenerife specifically time for the Geminids if I can arrange time off work.

2009 and 2012 were just unbelievable and the weather gods shone brightly again this year :D

Just back to the depressing reality (albiet alarmingly mild in Glasgow for December!) of the winter gloom.

However the display on the 12/13, 13/14 and briefly on the 14/15 was again brilliant. (The 11/12 was also perfect but I didn't stay too long as I had been up since 4am to get the flights and I was goosed. A couple of hours to assemble and checkthe kit, thence to bed!) Overall I thought the rates were not as good as 2012 but I was seeing ~25-30 per hour for several hours through the wee hours.

Got quite a few hits with the cameras but again nothing as good as 2012. The 13/14 was almost perfect cloudless conditions but the others has some high thin cloud that diminised the view at times.

I did however catch a bright fireball (non geminid) that was sufficiently bright to give me my first "photographic" spectrum since first blutacking plastic grating sheet to a lubitel in 1986!!!
It wasn't very good but it was definitely a spectrum.

I'm currently working my way through the 2000 or so shots so I'll post a few in due course.

Cheers,

Bill.

PS I can recommend the winter break, 20C+ during the day and wall to wall sunshine, it fair cheers one up in a very wet winter!
meteorB

Post by meteorB »

Here's a time lapse from all the wide angle shots I took over four nights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL_emFIjSPM

Sadly few fireballs so not a lot to be seen. Visually much more interesting!
meteorB

Post by meteorB »

The stills always look a bit dissapointing compared to the visual experience.
This was quite a bright "flash", entirely comparable if not a little brighter than either Castor or Pollux.

VERY close to the radiant so appears almost point like.

Here's a montage of three crops from the all sky frames, one before the meteor and one after plus the one showing the meteor.
Geminid point meteor sequence.jpg
Geminid point meteor sequence.jpg (44.04 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
cheers,
Bill.