Venus

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Guy Fennimore, Brian

David Frydman

Venus

Post by David Frydman »

. The late afternoon looked quite good and sunny although there was quite a bit of cirrus cloud.

I thought I'd try to see if I could find the planet Venus.
Using extra wide-angle 8.5×44 binocular I scanned the sky above the nearby rooftop.
Almost immediately I found a bright planet Venus at 1618 UTC.
At 1619 UTC I probably just managed to see Venus with unaided eyes and distance specs. It was amongst twigs above the rooftop. There was also quite a bit of cirrus cloud although the sky was quite bright.
At 1625 UTC by placing Venus very near to a twig I saw Venus clearly and held it constantly.
Sunset was at about 1634 UTC. There was cirrus cloud.
At 1724 UTC I could just see the planet Venus about 20 arc minutes above the lower rooftop. In 18×50 binocular I could not see any phase, and afterwards looking at the BAA Handbook I realised that Venus was close to full. It was bright to the unaided eyes and in the two binoculars.

I have not been able to see Venus and Mercury because they were both below the rooftops after sunset, so this is my first sighting this year of the planet Venus.

The thick crescent Moon was nice and I saw detail in the Earthshine with 8.5x44 binocular. No Aristarchus.

At about 1326 UTC today I saw a medium-size sunspot on the left side of the Sun with filtered 10x25 binocular. I could not see it with protected unaided eyes.
I saw the same sunspot yesterday about 1356 UTC. It was much nearer the limb then.

This morning I was looking at the moons of Jupiter.
At 04 45 1/2 UTC I saw two young men in black clothing, tall, slim and with rucksacks behaving strangely and trying to get into one of the garages. Most likely, they seemed to be either trying to take something or more likely to set up home.
I knocked loudly on the window, hoping I wouldn't break the glass, and they ran away, faster than I expected.

Other nights they are the most strange, to me, sounds either from a fox or foxes being territorial or even weirder sounds maybe from females. The urban jungle.
Some of these foxes nowadays seem to be quite fat and have good coats.
They often walk down the middle of the road at 3 AM.

Regards, David
trynda1701

Re: Venus

Post by trynda1701 »

Hard luck with missing the Venus/Mercury conjunction. The few views I got were hampered by either low trees or setting behind houses like your site, but I did get lucky on a few occasions. Missed the thin cresent Moon near the pair this week though, the weather has been horrendous! There was snow overnight last night, about an inch, but it's all been washed away by the torrential rain by afternoon!

This evening apparition should be better than the last evening one, where due to it's low altitude along the western horizon in the UK, I saw Venus twice, despite good weather! One of the worst apparitions I've seen of Venus.

Yes, urban foxes can be quite loud, and it's amazing how bold they can be. Unfortunately, I've seen quite a few dead ones on our roads at night over the years. :(

Mark
Scopes: Celestron C8 Classic (Black-1990), Skywatcher Heritage 130P Flexitube (2014).
EPs: Plossls - 24mm, 16mm ES Maxvision 68°; 18mm, 12mm, 8mm BST Explorer 60°; Kellners - 25mm Celestron; 40mm & 9mm Japanese; MA - 25mm & 10mm Skywatcher; Skywatcher 2x Barlow.
Binos: Helios Apollo 15x70. CZJ Jenoptem 10x50W, Manfrotto 679B Monopod/DynaSun WT011H 3/8 TriggerGrip Ballhead, Vanguard PhotoTripod (T-120223AB). Olympus 8x40 DPS I. Halina Discovery 8x30 [x2].
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

. It has been cloudy yesterday and today, so I had no chance to look for Venus or anything else.

However, sad news about the wildlife.
Last night there was a dead cat in the garden with two foxes seemingly fighting over it.
They were chased off.
Then a smaller cat sat by the dead cat for half an hour.
Later on the foxes dragged the dead cat away.

This morning the caretaker disposed of the cat for us, but I don't know if foxes eat cats or indeed killed the cat. The foxes however, make terrible noises.

I just went out and it was impossible to view the Sun.

But one of the new LED streetlights has been on non-stop for maybe six weeks, presumably to save electricity.
Today I noticed another LED streetlight on in the middle of the day.

I must say, though, that at night the main road does look darker, maybe they do indeed switch to one third power.

I have a Binatone green LED clock, which has been on continuously since about 1970, except for the odd power cut. It seems as good as new.

Regards, David
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

2015 January 30. 1628 UTC

The sky was very transparent, but the sun was hidden by buildings.

It took a while to find Venus with the 8.5×44 binocular, but once found it was bright.

Then I had a problem locating it with unaided eyes and my distance specs.
The problem was that Venus was in a featureless sky and they were no very close sighting positions.
After about two minutes I found it and held it quite easily even through the double glazing which is fairly dirty. It was about 6° above the peak of a slanting roof. I was pleased to see it through the double glazing. It would probably have been easier outside.

I saw it at 1628 UTC with unaided eyes and distance specs.
Sunset was at about 1645 UTC this evening or afternoon.

Regards, David
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

2015 February 5, 1634 UTC
I clearly saw and held Venus in a transparent sky with 2/8 cloud. Just using unaided eyes and distance specs.
I found it first in 8.5×44 binocular at 1633 UTC.
Sunset was at about 1656 UTC today.

Yesterday, 2015 February 4 2238 UTC.
The almost full moon looked to be in the wrong place, 10° below Jupiter in a good sky.
At minimum separation earlier the moon must have been very south of Jupiter, maybe about the maximum distance possible?
I identified Jupiter's three moons visible correctly with 8.5×44 binocular.

Regards, David