Jupiter & Venus - Spectacular Conjunction!

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Jupiter & Venus - Spectacular Conjunction!

Post by mike a feist »

Tuesday 12th Aug 2014, 0515BST. Jupiter & Venus seen above the distant rooftops on diagonally opposite sides of fov of 7x50 Fujinon & also 8x30 Hensoldt - about 7 degrees apart. Soon to get closer & closer. regards maf

Wednesday 13th August 2014, 0510BST. Jupiter & Venus seen again above the distant rooftops and now a but closer together!! regards maf

Friday 15th August 2014, 0508BST. Jupiter & Venus now separated by about half the 7.5 deg fov of Fujinon 7x50. regards maf

Saturday 16th August 2014, 0504BST, Jupiter & Venus now about 1/3 rd fov of 8 x 30 Hensoldt apart OR fitted neatly in the 20x50 Kowa. regards maf
Last edited by mike a feist on Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike a feist

Re: Jupiter & Venus - Spectacular Conjunction!!!

Post by mike a feist »

18th August 2014. The two bright planets were seen the rise above the distant rooftops at about 0500BST and they wre followed untill about 0600BST. Used Minox MD50W, Hawke 70mm scope at x24 and 8x30 Hensoldt binocular through the bedroom window. The planets were very close together and in the Hawke were about 1/8th fov apart, with the glitteringly brilliant Venus diagonally above the pale Jovian disc. The view was enhanced by a stream of Herring Gulls flying across the fov from the coast to the countryside as they do each morning around dawn. Wonderful! regards maf
Paul Sutherland
Site Admin

Re: Jupiter & Venus - Spectacular Conjunction!

Post by Paul Sutherland »

Mike, I also found the conjunction spectacular. And the air was so clear that the planets shone brightly when barely risen and still close to the horizon, having just cleared a line of cloud in the direction of Belgium.

Here is a close-up of the pair a little higher above the clouds.

And yes, the gulls contributed to the spectacle for me too. Here's one of a bird admiring the planets as they shone like a pair of jewels. But they do say diamonds are a gull's best friend. I'll get my coat . . .

mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

Paul......nicely captured view. Took a few simple snaps at the eyepiece. The gulls were transformed into smears as they flew rapidly passed !......regards maf
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Hi Paul,
What exposure and ISO freezes gulls wings and shows Venus and Jupiter?

Best wishes, David

Maybe 1/10th second? gull flying towards camera.
Paul Sutherland
Site Admin

Post by Paul Sutherland »

Sorry David, I have only just seen this. It is a crop of a single shot. 1/25 of a second at ISO 3200, using a Canon EOS 600D.