Early-morning Expedition to find Comet ISON

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Re: Early-morning Expedition to find Comet ISON

Post by mike a feist »

Comet ISON has certainly been a problem to observe and not as yet the spectacle hoped for. { Perhaps another Comet Kahoutek!} I noticed that there will be a "Horizon" programme about Comet ISON on Saturday although I imagine that it will be about comets in general, tacked on the "Comet ISON Comet of the Century" label especially as the blurb already mentions solving the great mysteries including where the Earth's water came from. However in a week or so we shall find out its fate and whether we can follow it as it leaves the Sun. Still I did at least see it! .
Comet Lovejoy (C/2013 R1) however continues to delight despite the lunar light pollution. This morning wednesday 0055-0100 could easily pick it out from outside the back-door and then even through the back-door glass-window as an obvious fuzzy disc when using 8x42 handheld binoculars, now well beyond 55 UMa and even beyond 57 UMa. Without the moonlight it surely must be visible to the unaided eye! regards maf
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Mike
Nice to read your "encouraging" comments.
If Comet Ison survives and nice and bright - there's just a chance I might see it;
Lovejoy unlikely.
However, Kohoutek was the first comet I ever saw - thanks to very luckily bumping into a mysterious astronomer on top of the Snake Pass road at the end of hill walk with a friend.
I'll never forget the view through his binoculars. Despite Comet Kohoutek being a supposed flop it sported a nice even if not very long tail.
Comet Kohoutek is still one of my favourite astronomical objects.
Best wishes from Cliff
trynda1701

Post by trynda1701 »

So, with the "did it/didn't it/something 'might' have survivied" post sun graze status of ISON, has anyone tried to see anything in the morning sky in the last few days?

I know I've seen an 'obituary' post about ISON, but has anyone tried an observation?

Tomorrow morning not good up here in Scotland with gale force winds predicted for early morning rush hour time!

Mark
Scopes: Celestron C8 Classic (Black-1990), Skywatcher Heritage 130P Flexitube (2014).
EPs: Plossls - 24mm, 16mm ES Maxvision 68°; 18mm, 12mm, 8mm BST Explorer 60°; Kellners - 25mm Celestron; 40mm & 9mm Japanese; MA - 25mm & 10mm Skywatcher; Skywatcher 2x Barlow.
Binos: Helios Apollo 15x70. CZJ Jenoptem 10x50W, Manfrotto 679B Monopod/DynaSun WT011H 3/8 TriggerGrip Ballhead, Vanguard PhotoTripod (T-120223AB). Olympus 8x40 DPS I. Halina Discovery 8x30 [x2].
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

Was out this morning -thursday- around dawn and traced some stars of Ophiuchus in the area one may have hoped ISON resided but saw nothing obviously cometary. There was a aircraft contrail streaked across the sky....just to goad me into thinking what just might have been! regards maf
Paul Sutherland
Site Admin

Post by Paul Sutherland »

stella wrote:"However, I'm still wondering which comet the Bayeux Tapestry depicts"

It is Halley's comet that is shown.
The comet reached perihelion around March 20 (old style, I presume)
The Battle of Hastings was on October 14.
So the comet had been seen during the previous few months, and it was
taken to be ill omen, so was undoubtedly linked in the populace's mind
with the invasion and this led to its depiction in the tapestry.
While we are correcting errors, we could point out that technically speaking, the Bayeux artwork is not a tapestry at all, but an embroidery. ;)