mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Re: Comet Pannstars

Post by mike a feist »

sorry duplicate posting. maf
Kevvek

Post by Kevvek »

Finally, finally managed a bit of astronomy after what seems an age of cloud!!! Had a quick scan with my Komz 8x30's on 1st April, thought I'd found it but 'twas the Andromeda Galaxy. A quick dash indoors to look at Stellarium, and then back outside for another scan. Found it low down, just about to disappear behind some trees. Very faint, couldn't quite discern any sturcture. A look with the Strathspey 10x50 marines a bit better, with the coma a bit better defined and a hint of tail. Went out last night with the WO Megrez110 and Moonfish eyepiece, and a nicely defined comet appeared. Swapped to a Speers Waler 7mm-5mm at 7mm, not too bad, tail appeared to vanish off the edge of the view, and best seen with averted vision. Managed to get family to have a look as well as 2 other families/neighbours. Tried to get a photo with a 20D at prime focus, but laptop/camera decided to have glitches!!! Will try again.

best wishes

Kevin
W.O. Megrez 110mm, 22x100 bins, Strathspey 10x50 marine, Komz 8x30 bins
Coronado PST
Lzos 20x50 (with solar filter for quick solar observing)
jb1970

Post by jb1970 »

Had a look at the comet last night with a 10" SCT. The tail seemed more fanned out than my first sighting 13th March. Could just be the difference between bins and a scope.

Had another look tonight from about 21:00 to 21:30. I can now see it from my bedroom window, so don't need to drive to a good NW horizon. In the same fov as M31 with my 15x70 bins. A little too low for my scope in the garden.
250px dob
127mm mak
8x42 Celestron
10x50 Helios
15x70 Celestron
Tony Markham

Post by Tony Markham »

Having always been clouded out at the key time of night during March, I finally spotted the comet in the morning sky just before 5am BST on April 3rd using 11x80 binoculars. Since then, I've also seen it on the mornings of the 4th, 5th and 6th, as well as on the evening of the 4th. The comet was much easier to spot in the mornings than for the evening observation and is also more prominent than M31.
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

After a number of disappointingly gloomy days again, I awoke this Saturday morning to see that the sky was clear. To avoid too much clattering with tripods etc at the bedroom window at such an early hour, I used the Minox MD50W spotting scope -handheld but rested on the windowframe. at 0349BST the comet was found obvious in this, but M31 was still hidden behind a nearby roof but it appeared at 0408BST but just without the comet fov, and down to the left. Probably sepated by about 3.5 deg (centre to centre). The fantail was perhaps a degree long, with upper edge the sharpest.Switched to the Celestron Outland 6 x 30 monocular, I could more easily compare the galaxy and the comet. Overall the comet (with its bright head) was more obvious. My final observation was at 0444 to 0457BST when I imagined that the field stars and the comet in the 10 deg fov looked rather like a flying bird (or Vulcan Bomber!) joining Cygnus the Swan and Aquila the Eagle in the pre-dawn sky. and so (back) to bed. maf
Tetenterre

Post by Tetenterre »

Got up at 4am and went up to Hyde Common. Lovely transparent sky and a beautiful dawn. Estimated the comet to be around mag 5 - more distinct than the core of M31in the dawn sky.
Best,
Steve
The Binocular Sky
Astronomers do it with Heavenly Bodies

Lots of binoculars, from 32mm to 100mm; 90mm Gregory-Maksutov, 406mm Dob
Leslie Ewan

Post by Leslie Ewan »

Comet Panstars & M31 06.04.13.jpg
Comet Panstars & M31 06.04.13.jpg (59.15 KiB) Viewed 2338 times
Comet Panstarrs 06.04.13@03.20BST.jpg
Comet Panstarrs 06.04.13@03.20BST.jpg (171.06 KiB) Viewed 2338 times
Panstarrs was still a great sight with 7X50's even when low in the north with the light pollution of Edinburgh. 8)
The lower image was taken through a Helios Explorer 200mm f5 Newtonian on a driven EQ5 mount.The camera was a 6mp Pentax K100 DSLR using a 20" exposure at 800ISO.At 03:20 this morning.
The first was taken at 04:30BST with a undriven Canon EOS 1100D 12mp with a Sigma telephoto set at 70mm.It shows Panstarrs close to the Andromeda Galaxy.
Although much brighter I was reminded of when Hale Bopp skirted the northern sky when it was circumpolar also in Andromeda with Hale Bopp at about zero magnitude .
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

[obs #14Saturday 6th April 2125BST: To the park with 10 x 40's in hand. Comet + M31 v low in the north but managed to locate with M31 although not too obvious. Best view is now in the pre-dawn!
[obs #15] Sunday 7th April 0349-0429BST: Used 8x36 Nikon roofprism binos and Minox MD50W scope rested on window frame. Comet now close to 5th magnitude star with the comet's "head" seeming fainter than this. The 7 degree fov of the Nikon enabled both comet and M31 to be included - perhaps 2/3rds of fov apart. maf
Last edited by mike a feist on Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

Monday to thursday here were cloudy and no sightings of the comet were possible, and it is now (friday morning) overcast and a bit damp (although not as cold!). However I woke this morning, the 12th April at 0250 BST to find the sky reasonably clear and located Comet Panstarrs (C/2011L4) from the bedroom window using a 10x30 Bushnell monocular. In that it appeared as a smudge of light and I confirmed the id using Minox MD50W at x16. Now in Cassiopeia and nearer the "W" than last seen, it was between two faintish stars and possibly/probably fainter than previously but still with a good tail. After ten minutes however it was lost to cloud! [obs #16] maf
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

[obs#17] Following the previous report on Friday 12th am, the sky was clear with a few small bits of drifting cloud after sunset and at 2205-2210BST* went to the park with 10x40s and found the comet again although it was not that obvious but still showed a good tail. Low in the north but not yet at lower culmination at this time. maf
NB. I hoped that the sky would stay like that until the early hours the following morning (Saturday 13th) when the comet would be a bit higher up and a better view possible from the window but this was not to be and the sky clouded over completely. *The rather late start to the evening sighting, just after 10pm, was caused by watching an interesting programme about Newton on the television. Prior to that a good view of the crescent Moon with prominent earthshine was had... I tried to cram too much into the evening! Saturday the weather here deteriorated further with grey skies, some rain and cold wind and it seems most unlikely that the comet will be visible to me this evening either! S & T April edition contains an article about Comet Kohoutek [which I did not see as I was having a break from observing then] which was interesting as despite being thought a "washout" by some after heavy-hyping, did show quite well and rather looked like Comet Panstarrs in some if the twilight photographs. maf
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

Comet Panstarrs (C/2011L4) certainly seems to be fading quite rapidly, as the following two reports suggest.
15th April 2100BST :To the park with 10x40s but sky too bright so went back at 2130BST with same but still failed to find it so returned home to collect Minox MD50W on lightweight tripod and finally, at 2145BST, managed to pick it up near a 6th magnitude star. The star was much more obvious that the comet, although the comet's tail was just about visible. An 'awkward' observation! [0bs # 18] maf
16th April 0230-0244BST: From the bedroom window. First with the Minox on the tripod to confirm the previous 'awkward' sighting, then used 102mm f5 refractor at x20 (and 45 degree diagonal) for a short but much better view as soon clouded out. [obs #19] maf.
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Mike
Well done with your continuing successful pursuit of panSTARRS.
I like your individal style of astronomy, broad interest in science and flexible attitude to astronomy\stargazing or whatever you prefer. Though knowing each other but only at long distance (never meeting you in the flesh- i think I've learned some good lessons from our interchanges.
there have been a few times i've tried to chew more than I can swallow - perhaps mental blocks have hindered or HELPED me not get my head round things.
Late in life Dad once asked me " What's it all about Cliff ?" .
I didn't say anything (although I was pleased he asked) and Dad never pressed me to answer - I think my silence satisfied him better than any inadequate things I could have said. Not properly understanding Relativity (which I broadly believe in), nor understanding String Theory and Multiverses (neither of which I like!) doesn't matter very much now.
Best wishes from Cliff
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

Afternoon Cliff,
Thank you for your kind words.
regards mike
(maf)
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

Comet Panstarrs (C/2011L4) Early Morning Sightings.
I awoke at 0220BST to find some breaks in the racing clouds so used the 102mm f5 (at x20 and x40) from the window to locate the now rather faintish comet. As time progressed the conditions improved somewhat and the best view was had at just before 0244BST (when I went back to bed), The head of the comet was near a faint star and the fuzzy tail was easily visible.
At 0320BST, after dozing for a while, the sky was more or less clear, so I set up the recently acquired Jessops 80mm (x20-x60) zoom spotting scope to see how well this would work on the comet. It showed it very well indeed, especially when zoomed up to about x30 - the zoom-facility being very handy once the comet was located at x20. The 'head' and short, widely-fanned' tail were well seen in this. Also tried the Minox MD50W spotting scope on tripod in which the comet was clearly visble when zoomed up and also the hand-held 10x40 Mirador binoculars which did still show it although rather small to see any detail. Returned to bed at about 0400BST.
NB: Despite the inclement weather, 20 sighting in 36 days compares well with 20 sighting of Hyakutake (C/1966B2) in one month in 1996. maf. regards maf.
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

Managed another good sighting of Comet Panstarrs (C/2011L4) early this morning.
April 19th .0145-0150BST. Clear skies. Used Jessops 80mm zoom spottingscopelocated easily (x20-x60) from the bedroom window. Comet easily located easily directly down from beta Cass although not very bright...fuzzy head with indistinct tail. 0300-0320BST. Now higher up and easier to see in 80mm scope, so then tried 102mm f5 with various eyepieces and Barlow, giving x20, x40, x50 and even x100. There were a number of v faint stars near the fails nucleus. I was then clouded out. [0bs #21] maf