Comet Pannstars

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

nigeljoslin

Re: Comet Pannstars

Post by nigeljoslin »

I loved this! It was better than expected, through my 9 x 63 binos...I'm late seeing this, as I've been on holiday and since then, despite many clear skies, stubborn bands of low cloud to the north west have prevailed around the time of the narrow window between it getting dark enough and the comet descending below my slightly elevated horizon!

Good tail....must try again, taking the 4 inch refractor out to the top of the hill that blocks it by soon after 8.30! At least it's getting higher as the weeks go by, even if it will fade.
Skywatcher 350P f4.65, Skywatcher StarTravel 102 f5, Adler Optik 9x63 binoculars
adrian lord

Post by adrian lord »

Just come inside after observing the comet through my Zeiss 8x56 bins. Can't see it unaided eye here. Clear tail 2 o clock in bins.
TMB/APM 152 apochromatic Refractor is my weapon of choice!
Alastair McBeath

Post by Alastair McBeath »

Finally managed a decent observation of Comet Panstarrs this evening (Mar 30/31), around 8 p.m. (that'll be 9 p.m. tomorrow night, of course!), first time for me in a clear, reasonably dark sky - limiting magnitude +5.4, still with the last remnants of twilight. It was just visible unaided, as a dim, misty patch, and was very easy in the 7x50s, now with a 1½°to 2° tail, and looking good. Tonight, the comet reaches its theoretical circumpolarity for me (55°N), so hopefully there should be more opportunities to follow it in darker skies for us all in the coming days - assuming we get some better weather...
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Paul, Mike et al
It's nice to know that quite a lot of people have been observing PANSTARRS.
Mike, I was sure you'd be comet watching and Panstarrs in particular.
For me it's been like London and Manchester buses - a long wait then 3 come all at once ie 28, 29 and 30th March Panstarrs showed up here. I even got a few images last night - the 29th.
I'll try to display a couple of pics on the gallery.
Best wishes from Cliff
PS - Mike :- despite my recent "flood of interest" in this nice fairly convenient easy comet, I'm not making a big night sky come-back.
Davej

Post by Davej »

Hi,

Finally got my first sighting of the comet (Saturday 30th) at around 20.15 UT. Not visible to unaided eye but a nice sight in the 15x70's.

ATB
Dave
Meade LX 200 (7"). Odyssey 8" Dob.
11X80 10x50 15x70 bins
Celestron Neximage ccd cam
nigeljoslin

Post by nigeljoslin »

I saw Panstarrs again last night; I got out the 4 inch Frac and managed to find a spot in the garden where I could see it. It's got a good tail, hasn't it! I found that optimum magnification was about 90x....great view.

I also took the big beast out later (14 inch Dob) and had a brilliant night with the spring galaxies, including M51 (showing star cluster detail), M81, M82 (showing star cluster detail and central dark column), M101 (showing star cluster detail), M63, M64 (showing dark dust lane), M94 Seyfert, Whale & Pup, Hockey Stick, Leo Triplet & others, M108 & the Owl Nebula (using UHC filter), and then I finished off by plunging into M13 at high magnification...a rare good night, of late!

There were even a couple of meteors to add the icing on the cake...aah!
Skywatcher 350P f4.65, Skywatcher StarTravel 102 f5, Adler Optik 9x63 binoculars
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

Sunday March 31st evening. Very clear sky but had of course to wait for an extra hour because of the BST.
Made a number of trips to the Park/Football Pitch with different portable instruments.
* 2037BST located comet easily using the 10x40 Mirador hand-held. Good view ( of 'head' and tail) with the comet to the left of the triangle of stars theta, sigma and rho Andromedae.
* 2100BST returned with Minox MD50W on lightweight tripod which produced a good and larger image but found the smaller fov and angled eyepiece made location rather awkward and time consuming.
* 2150BST returned yet again with 7x50 Nikon hand-held to find comet still visible maybe 4 degrees above NNW hills.
By next morning it was cloudy. maf.
trynda1701

Post by trynda1701 »

Alastair McBeath wrote:Managed to find Panstarrs again this evening (Mar 28) after some difficulty with patchy clouds, and because it has faded quite markedly since my last sighting on March 20th. I eventually picked it up forming a handy triangle with Pi and Delta Andromedae in the same 7x50s field of view around 19:35 UT. I suspect I'd have had no luck much sooner even without the clouds, as the comet overall was probably about fourth magnitude, and the sky of course was still quite twilit.

The comet seemed a small, rounded, misty patch to me, without the brighter central condensation I'd seen previously in the heart of the coma. A straight, faint tail seemed to extend "upwards" for about a degree or so (using averted vision and the old trick of moving the binoculars slightly), with a possible shorter curving tail from the northern side of the coma, although that was less easy to make out, and could just have been due to the coma itself.

Nice to spot it again though, after solid clouds for a week, and a frustrating evening yesterday, with clear patches in the western sky all well south of where the comet was. At least tonight the clouds rolled back over the key area only after I'd seen it!
Sorry for this late post!

Observation of Comet Panstarrs, 28th March 2013.

My observation on the 28th was similar to Alistairs above. I had driven to the nearby moor where I had last seen the comet on the 13th, but gave up at 20:00 UT (8PM) due to all the passing cars that were annoying me! In the twilight, I had found Alpheratz and Delta Andromeda in 10x50's.

Back home, went into the garden and found Alpheratz again. Thought I would locate M31 to see if my position was off, expecting it to be too low to see clearly. That's when I found the Comet making that triangle with Delta and Pi Andromedae at 20:20 UT!

I thought that it looked more prominent that M31, despite the Comet's lower altitude. Never was any good at estimating magitudes with defocussing stars, but it appeared similar to Delta Andromedae in brightness? Nice sight of the tail, maybe a degree or so long with my local conditions. Again, although nowhere as bright as say Hale-Bopp was at its best, I enjoyed this fourth type of comet viewing in my observing experience. First, the small glow of Halley I personally saw in late '86, then the large diffuse glow of Hyakutake, and the magnificent Hale-Bopp. And then Pannstars, like a small fainter version of Hale-Bopp.

Overall, I'm well pleased with my casual but determined efforts to find Comet Pannstars. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Scopes: Celestron C8 Classic (Black-1990), Skywatcher Heritage 130P Flexitube (2014).
EPs: Plossls - 24mm, 16mm ES Maxvision 68°; 18mm, 12mm, 8mm BST Explorer 60°; Kellners - 25mm Celestron; 40mm & 9mm Japanese; MA - 25mm & 10mm Skywatcher; Skywatcher 2x Barlow.
Binos: Helios Apollo 15x70. CZJ Jenoptem 10x50W, Manfrotto 679B Monopod/DynaSun WT011H 3/8 TriggerGrip Ballhead, Vanguard PhotoTripod (T-120223AB). Olympus 8x40 DPS I. Halina Discovery 8x30 [x2].
Paul Freeman

Post by Paul Freeman »

Just spotted Pannstarrs this evening, 9:45pm, below M31 in Andromeda using 15 x 70 'bins. It was just outside the same fov with M31, but like trynda in the previous post I thought it was just a tad brighter. There was a suspicion of a tail heading back towards the galaxy. Once I had found it with my 15 x 70's I found I could just see it with my 10x50's. Pleased to have spotted it!

Paul.
andyT

Post by andyT »

Morning all,I finally spotted it last evening at 9.20pm.after a few slow sweeps with my swift 10X50 binoculars.a nice tail pointed up towards m31.really pleased I saw it.andy
4'' refractor
zeiss 10x50,
Leica BN 8x32,
Helios 13-40x80 bins
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

April 1st 2013. Comet Panstarrs C/2011L4) Evening:
2055BST Very clear sky. To usual site with 7x50 binoculars. M31 and Comet well within FOV with galaxy above the comet. Comet down to right of nu and 32 And and across from theta and rho. Good view of 'head' and tail. Returned later at 2120BST with 6x30 monocular in which the comet was visible also.
Morning :April 2nd. 0440-0445BST to park and comet immediately found in 10x40 binocular and 6x30 monocular.
Returning home, found from bedroom window and used 102mm f8 x20 and 45deg diagonal. Really is a superb comet!! maf
Leslie Ewan

Post by Leslie Ewan »

HI There,
Weeks of constant cloud meant I only saw this comet for the first time at 22:00BST on the 2nd. I got a pleasant surprise,as its a wonderful sight in the NW sky with 7X50 bins in the same fov as the Andromeda Galaxy.For me it was a great introduction to Panstarrs-well worth the wait. 8)
The image was obtained with a undriven Canon EOS 1100D 12mp DSLR ,a Sigma 300mm fl telephoto.2" ex 800 ISO.
Attachments
Panstarrs 02.04.13.jpg
Panstarrs 02.04.13.jpg (43.74 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
Gregger

Post by Gregger »

Great photo
Interesting to read reports of unaided eye visibility, certainly not achieved that myself

Super view here last night in Rutland with Pannstars and M31 in same fov in my Celestron 15x70's
When you see that you can see why Messier made his list in the first place
Helios Quantum 100mm bino's, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Canon 15x50IS bino's
andyT

Post by andyT »

Leslie Ewan wrote:HI There,
Weeks of constant cloud meant I only saw this comet for the first time at 22:00BST on the 2nd. I got a pleasant surprise,as its a wonderful sight in the NW sky with 7X50 bins in the same fov as the Andromeda Galaxy.For me it was a great introduction to Panstarrs-well worth the wait. 8)
The image was obtained with a undriven Canon EOS 1100D 12mp DSLR ,a Sigma 300mm fl telephoto.2" ex 800 ISO.
Hi les,nice to hear from you.that's a nicely captured image.I remember our chats on the sktatnight forums a few years back.hope the weather gets warmer up there. Rgds,Andy
4'' refractor
zeiss 10x50,
Leica BN 8x32,
Helios 13-40x80 bins
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

A persistently clear spell here but with biting wind and availability of both after-sunset and before-dawn has, at last. enabled me to follow the comet for the last few days as it approached M31. In the optics that I used the bright "head" of the comet added to the obvious tail made this much more striking than the galaxy. how long the tail is, is really difficult to guess as it fades out into the sky.
[Obs#11] 2nd April 2100-2105 BST: Clear sky so to park/football pitch with 10x40 Mirador.M31 and comet immediately located about 4 deg apart and nicely shown.
[Obs#12] 3rd April From bedroom window at 0427 BST using 10x40 Mirador binoculars gave best view of comet (+tail) and M31 about half fov apart. A 0444BST used 102mm F5 (at x20 and then plus x2 Barlow) which showed clearer view of the "head" (coma + false-nucleus) and fainter field stars. At 0457 finished by trying Minox MD50W (50mm spotting scope) handheld against window frame. Even at the lowest mag of x16, the fov was not suffiently large to include the comet and (the bright core - the only bit I could see) of M31. maf
Last edited by mike a feist on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.