Comet Pannstars

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

Andyjasper

Re: Comet Pannstars

Post by Andyjasper »

Thanks for the reply and yes "just" is not very helpful I must agree. I would say a fist away however I didnt see any brighter stars up to 2 or 3 hand spans away so either I was spotting with my eyes closed or my view was from that other Shropshire on Mars (ie the rest of you were seeing things from a totally different perspective from me !!!) Anyway cloud cover predicted for the next couple of days which will mean that I can get my telescope out next week in the back garden and view the comet in a darker sky when it is higher above the trees which block my view when low to my West and North West!!
trynda1701

Post by trynda1701 »

Best of luck tonight if anyone is fortunate enough to get a clear spell. Not here, cloudy and smirry rain in Central Scotland I'm afraid! :(
Scopes: Celestron C8 Classic (Black-1990), Skywatcher Heritage 130P Flexitube (2014).
EPs: Plossls - 24mm, 16mm ES Maxvision 68°; 18mm, 12mm, 8mm BST Explorer 60°; Kellners - 25mm Celestron; 40mm & 9mm Japanese; MA - 25mm & 10mm Skywatcher; Skywatcher 2x Barlow.
Binos: Helios Apollo 15x70. CZJ Jenoptem 10x50W, Manfrotto 679B Monopod/DynaSun WT011H 3/8 TriggerGrip Ballhead, Vanguard PhotoTripod (T-120223AB). Olympus 8x40 DPS I. Halina Discovery 8x30 [x2].
Alastair McBeath

Post by Alastair McBeath »

Good view of Panstarrs this evening thanks to the afternoon's rainclouds having moved off shortly before sunset. It was much easier to spot tonight (March 15) than on Wednesday even in the twilight before 7 p.m., and I found it clearly visible to the unaided eye by 19:10, magnitude perhaps +1 to +2 as a rough guess, and distinctly elongated in the tail direction with averted vision. In my 7x50s, there was a rounded coma and starlike bright central condensation in the head, with a straight tail I could follow for around half a degree. Nice little comet, and doing well to be so obviously "cometary" even without the binoculars. Difficult to miss if you've a clear, low western sky now.
Ian Lee

Post by Ian Lee »

With a clear W horizon after sunset, I decided to try to locate comet C/2011 L4 PANSTARRS. Initial attempts through my stair landing window proved unsuccessful. However a little later I moved to a location which provided a flat W horizon. Using the 4 day old waxing crescent Moon as a guide, I panned along the horizon with my 10 x 50 binoculars and at 19.15 UT found it; much fainter than I expected but with a clear coma and dust tail. Couldn't locate it with the unaided eye, even after noting it's position. Not at all impressive but I am pleased to have seen it.
127 mm Maksutov
70 mm f10 Refractor
Coronado PST
10 x 50 Bins

Starry-eyed and laughing
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

Saturday 16th. Heavy banks of cloud along the horizon but between were quite clear gaps. One of these enabled a good but shortlived view (1907-1910) of the comet with 102mm f5 at x20 and was easily visible in handheld 7x50 binos also. The tail appeared much longer that last time and was "upright" or even slighly tilted to the right. maf
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Banks of cloud in the west have persisted here, while overhead it's often been clear; just one of those things :roll: . There might be a chance to spot the comet this evening.
brian
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

Comet Panstarrs C/211L4 : 19th March 2013: Conditions rather murky with cirrus bands. Went to the adjacent Park/Football Ground with 7x50 Nikon binoculars in hand, and located the comet at 1908hrs and followed until 1930 when returned to my house for my gloves only to realise that I could see it from my front gate so set up Minox MD50W and watched for a few minutes from there, showing it to an neighbour as well. I returned to the park with binoculars, and the cat (who often follows me!), and tripped over a step, falling into stinging-nettles (this itself was a memorable experience!) and contined to observe the comet till it disappeared into murk near the horizon at 1940hrs. Initially the comet was about 6 degrees above the distant Southwick Hill and at the finish about 3 degrees. the "head" was brigthly glowing in the instuments used but did not see it with the unaided eye. At best the fanshaped upright tail was and perhaps a degree long (1/6th of the fov of 7x50). Best sighting yet of 3! maf
Gregger

Post by Gregger »

Coulnd't find it myself in the observing in the south Nottingham area last night at 1900

Hope the stings not too bad thiss morning Mike
Helios Quantum 100mm bino's, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Canon 15x50IS bino's
Alastair McBeath

Managed a brief view of Panstarrs through the 7x50s in between clouds around 19:25 UT this evening (March 20), first chance since the weekend. It's still looking good, with a three-quarter degree or so straight tail and the suggestion of a shorter curving tail on the northern side of the coma. Couldn't confirm this latter sadly, or attempt an unaided-eye view, as the clouds slid back across within a few minutes and are still here. Better than nothing though!

Sorry to hear of your nettle incident Mike. Only time I did that was when I was three; not something I'd care to repeat...

Gregger, hope you've had better luck since. The comet's certainly at a relatively higher altitude for longer now than this time last week, although the sunset times are marching smartly later at a similar pace too - equinox was this morning, of course.
Andyjasper

Post by Andyjasper »

Since the 14th the weather has not been good enough here to see the comet until last night.
Scanned the area between Pisces and Andromeda to the NW between 7 and 8 between the breaks in the clouds with 20x50 binoculars.
At approx 7.45 I thought I may have spotted it. Panned my binoculars down so I could get a reference point, but when panning back up I could not see it. At that point realised that the clouds had moved in and following that no further breaks.
Forecast suggests a break in the clouds tonight, and comet getting closer to Andromeda galaxy as a reference point so will try again tonight.
The frustrations of the British weather !!!!
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

No chance to see comet Panstarrs C/2011L4 since last wednesday (qv), the weather has been so bad ........a sorry state of affairs indeed these persisemt clouds!! At least I saw the comet on three occasions although even then with cloud-problems on two of them! No reaonable weather promised here at all this week. maf
Alastair McBeath

Managed to find Panstarrs again this evening (Mar 28) after some difficulty with patchy clouds, and because it has faded quite markedly since my last sighting on March 20th. I eventually picked it up forming a handy triangle with Pi and Delta Andromedae in the same 7x50s field of view around 19:35 UT. I suspect I'd have had no luck much sooner even without the clouds, as the comet overall was probably about fourth magnitude, and the sky of course was still quite twilit.

The comet seemed a small, rounded, misty patch to me, without the brighter central condensation I'd seen previously in the heart of the coma. A straight, faint tail seemed to extend "upwards" for about a degree or so (using averted vision and the old trick of moving the binoculars slightly), with a possible shorter curving tail from the northern side of the coma, although that was less easy to make out, and could just have been due to the coma itself.

Nice to spot it again though, after solid clouds for a week, and a frustrating evening yesterday, with clear patches in the western sky all well south of where the comet was. At least tonight the clouds rolled back over the key area only after I'd seen it!
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear al(L)
Discretion being the better part of valour - A couple of years back I abandoned the night sky, the Sun becoming my main astro-observing interest.
But I still hoped to see the occasional nice night sky event (given a fair mild wind in the right direction !).
A couple of weeks ago shear lackodaisical-ness probably resulted in me not even trying to look for C2011 L4 PANSTARRS and having missed a potential opportunity cloud dominated the evening sky forever ! (well too much) at crucial times.
On 26th and 27th March early evening conditions seemed a bit more promising, so I looked out for the comet using 15x70 binoculars through our west facing back bedroom window between moving clouds( 18:45 to 20:30UT ish). Using the bins I found a star very roughly around the comets predicted position. I decided the star was alpha Andromeda but both nights before it got dark enough to see anything fainter I was clouded out.
Yesterday 28th March I tried again from the bedroom ( at least pleasantly warm). I saw the star again but as the minutes ticked on I expected the worst, but about 19:40 UT I glimpsed a brightish upright streak.
The COMET !
Frustratingly it disappeared in what seemed a very brief few seconds and though I was initially convinced the comet then got lost in cloud and I couldn't rule out the streak I'd seen was just a transient glare reflected by the bedroom window (there are numerous street lights to be seen not far away).
The passing seconds seemed an age but the sky cleared and there was my streak again - staying in view longer I was happy it was the comet. A narrow filled in "V" about a degree tall apparently of fairly uniform brightness. Blunt at the bottom wit no obvious "upside down head (coma or nucleus).
When it disappeared in cloud again I dashed downstairs (dashing for me being snail pace now !!!) hoping to get a better view fom our back garden. I was well wrapped up in warm clothes. In a few minutes I saw the comet again with the bins, looking much the same as through the bedroom window glass. I had thoughts of trying to image PANSTARRS using my D-SLR on a basic photo tripod but clouds prevented it, but by 20:00UT I was happy with what I'd done and after feeling pleased enough I even made a crude sketch of the comet in my observing log book (even though the drawing was just made from memory).
Best wishes from Cliff
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

Well done Cliff.....you really do need to grap the moments with these poor skies......binoculars are so handy!regrds maf
Andyjasper

Post by Andyjasper »

Skies cleared for once at the right time and I was able to find comet after 10 mins of searching using andromeda as guide.first comet I have seen since the 80's. saw it with telescope aswell as binocs. Very clear evening so did a bit of star hopping once it disappeared.