Comet Pannstars

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Paul Freeman

Comet Pannstars

Post by Paul Freeman »

Just spotted Panstars, below, and slightly to the right of two day old Moon at 7.00pm, very low, just above a thick band of cloud. Used 10X50 binos. Slight suspicion of a tail pointing back towards the moon. Followed it for around 10 mins before it was lost behind the cloud.
Paul.
jb1970

Re: Comet Pannstars

Post by jb1970 »

Spotted it about the same time. In 15x70 bins quite bright with very clear tail despite being quite low in the murk. Watched it for about 20 mins but started to fade in the murk.
250px dob
127mm mak
8x42 Celestron
10x50 Helios
15x70 Celestron
Alastair McBeath

Post by Alastair McBeath »

Good to see some people have had some luck tonight with this; was concerned I might have to start a new topic!

After a very frustrating week with clouds across the low western sky every evening till now in SE Northumberland, I had my first view of The Comet about an hour ago too (circa 18:50 UT, March 13). Spectacular it ain't, but I was really pleased to have spotted it at all. Stubby tail (maybe quarter of a degree long) in my 7x50s, and a lovely view with the slimmest crescent Moon about nine degrees "above left". Couldn't see the comet without optical aid in the twilight however, and my guess would be the nucleus/coma is about magnitude +1 - no comparison objects nearby I could find, so this can't be classed as any kind of estimate. Hopefully it should get easier as it moves quickly north.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Tonight was my best prospect so far wrt cloud along the west horizon, but had no luck using 10x50 bins. The young Moon made a pretty picture though.
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
trynda1701

Post by trynda1701 »

Spotted the Comet about 19:17 UT. :) :) :)

Using 10x50's, drove to nearby moor with clear western horizon by 19:00 UT. After nearly 20 minutes of scanning, found comet in the twilight with the binocs at 19:17 UT. My observation was very similar to Paul's and Alistair's. Altitude was about two finger widths, to the lower right of the Moon which I was using as a guide as suggested. A tiny fan shaped comet, my estimate, very roughly, about a fifth the diameter of the Moon, tail angled toward the Moon. No nearby stars to compare to, but I liked the similar hue to the Moon it had in the twilight. After about five minutes, lost the comet behind the one bank of cloud that just HAD to be where it was! :roll:

Never managed to spot it with the unaided eye. I waited to 20:00 UT to see if it would appear under the bank as the bank moved south, before the comet set, and just when I thought the bank had cleared out the way and I had a chance, the Moon disappeared behind the bank that was still there!

As the weather is supposed to be sleet/snowing up here in Scotland tomorrow, I don't expect to see it tomorrow night! But I'm still glad I made the attempt. Although it doesn't match Hale-Bopp which we saw in all its glory, this observation is better than any observation I got of Halley back in '86!

Mark
Last edited by trynda1701 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scopes: Celestron C8 Classic (Black-1990), Skywatcher Heritage 130P Flexitube (2014).
EPs: Plossls - 24mm, 16mm ES Maxvision 68°; 18mm, 12mm, 8mm BST Explorer 60°; Kellners - 25mm Celestron; 40mm & 9mm Japanese; MA - 25mm & 10mm Skywatcher; Skywatcher 2x Barlow.
Binos: Helios Apollo 15x70. CZJ Jenoptem 10x50W, Manfrotto 679B Monopod/DynaSun WT011H 3/8 TriggerGrip Ballhead, Vanguard PhotoTripod (T-120223AB). Olympus 8x40 DPS I. Halina Discovery 8x30 [x2].
The Bat

Post by The Bat »

I saw it tonight in 10x50 binoculars at 19.00. Lovely sight, with quite a significant tail pointing upwards towards the Moon. Couldn't see it without the binoculars and it was very quickly lost in the thick cloud blotting out the horizon. Not enough time to get any pictures and as the nearest good Western horizon was 1/4 mile walk from the house, no telescope either!

Still, I saw it!! 8)

Rachel
Celestron C8-S XLT
CG5 mount, dual axis motor driven
Imaging Source DFK21AF04.AS camera
North Essex Astronomical Society
Gregger

Post by Gregger »

Bagged it myself here on my Norfolk holiday after some bird watcing
Lovely clear dark night her
Round about 18:55, nice tail, a lovely sight
Helios Quantum 100mm bino's, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Canon 15x50IS bino's
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I also had my first views yesterday evening.

The Moon was my guide and I soon swept up the comet at 18:55hrs. I used my 10x50 glasses, and then my 15x70 observation binoculars. These gave me a much improved view.

I could see a distinct fan-shaped tail, with an estimated magnitude 2 nucleus.
Paul Anthony Brierley
Observation Co-ordinator for.
Macclesfield Astronomical Society
https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulabrierley/
http://pabastronomy.blogspot.co.uk/2018/
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

COMET PANSTARRS [C/2011L4]
Succeeded in getting my first sighting 13th wednesday.
Used Skywatcher 102mm f5 refractor from and through an upper west-facing window at x20 and then x50 and 45 deg diagonal. It was located between a beautiful thin crescent Moon c/w earthshine and Southwick Hill (which hid the true horizon). I first found it at 1840 and again at 1850, 1900 and 1910 when it was setting into the distant bushes. Transparency was rather poor but the "false-nucleus" was visible in the scope as glowing yellow almost up to disappearance. The tail was also visible but length could not be determined as it petered-out into the low murkiness. It was up to the left of the "false-nucleus".
NB. It was impossible to notice the comet at all under these conditions in either 7x50 or Minox MD50W on a tripod even when I could see it in the Skywatcher. maf
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

I slowly swept the area with the SWALLOW 7X50's but to no avail. It's possible that I saw the comet without knowing it, as there was troublesome streaky cloudy to confuse things; not to mention clumps of black cumuli, processing like boats in a stately drift along the western horizon.
The crescent Moon was very pretty and with strong earthshine.
brian
Tetenterre

Post by Tetenterre »

A group of about 20 of us, mostly New Forest Stargazers, saw it yesterday evening from Turf Hill, through a variety of instruments, from 7x35 binoculars through 8" telescopes to DSLR LCD screens. I maintain that my Helios Apollo 15x70 gave the best view (well, I would, wouldn't I?!). Coma, with a very distinct nucleus (*) and about half a degree of tail.

* Edit: Subsequent to Mr Livesey's comment (below): For "nucleus" read "brightening, almost stellar in appearance, near (**) the centre of the coma "

** "near" added, just in case it wasn't exactly at the centre.... :D

@Joe: Thanks -- you read what I actually wrote.
Last edited by Tetenterre on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Best,
Steve
The Binocular Sky
Astronomers do it with Heavenly Bodies

Lots of binoculars, from 32mm to 100mm; 90mm Gregory-Maksutov, 406mm Dob
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Sorry to be pedantic, but the comet's nucleus is obscured by the coma, so it isn't possible to see the nucleus. :wink:
brian
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

Anyone (well almost anyone) reading the description can see that Steve is referring to a nucleus, not the nucleus. :roll:
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
Andyjasper

Post by Andyjasper »

Looked for comet last night in a location in Shropshire with cloudless sky and perfect spot looking west. Using 12x50 binoculars scanned below moon from 18:30 to 19:30 with no success. Colleagues with me and with similar equipment failed also. Very disappointed. I did notice a solitary star just above and to the left of the moon. Does anybody know what the magnitude of the likely star would be to put that in context with the comet magnitude which admittedly being lower would be in more of the sun's glare?
Tetenterre

Post by Tetenterre »

Andyjasper wrote: I did notice a solitary star just above and to the left of the moon. Does anybody know what the magnitude of the likely star would be to put that in context with the comet magnitude which admittedly being lower would be in more of the sun's glare?
Depends on the value of "just" :lol: . If it was around an outstretched hand-span, it was most likely Hamal (2nd mag), possibly beta Ari (mag 2.6). If it was only a fist away, it was probably eta Psc (mag 3.6).
Best,
Steve
The Binocular Sky
Astronomers do it with Heavenly Bodies

Lots of binoculars, from 32mm to 100mm; 90mm Gregory-Maksutov, 406mm Dob