Occultation of Jupiter by the Moon

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Occultation of Jupiter by the Moon

Post by mike a feist »

(Post)-Occultation Observation of Jupiter by Moon

Sunday Morning was completely overcast so I cancelled the plan to walk up to Foredown to see the moonrise and occultation but instead, kept a general eye-out through the bedroom window. A quick view of the crescent Moon was had through small cloud gap at 0345BST - after the main event- but did not see Jupiter. At 0422BST long after the event did see a couple of short views of the lunar crescent and a ghostly Jupiter in the same fov (1.6 deg in Optus (Aldi) cheap 60mm spotter at x20) through bedroom window. maf
coldfieldboundary

Re: Occultation of Jupiter by the Moon

Post by coldfieldboundary »

no luck here, a totally clouded sky. In North some clear gaps, there must be the lucky ones. Only a little gap promptly showed Moon and Jupiter, but too short only a second of two.
Thanks to the clear cold nights...
The Bat

Post by The Bat »

Saw a lovely occultation of Jupiter last night. Completely occulted by cloud! :(

Rachel
Celestron C8-S XLT
CG5 mount, dual axis motor driven
Imaging Source DFK21AF04.AS camera
North Essex Astronomical Society
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Mike
I'm pleased you had at least a little success related to the Jupiter occultation, and particularly pleased you used your little Aldi spotter. As far as I'm concerned the Aldi spotters are (or certainly were when I got mine) brilliant value for money. I cann't really understand people having concerns about buying Aldi scopes baring in mind just how cheap they are (were) £25 and Aldi's good reputation about returns policy together with a 3 year guarantee. From what I gather some astronomical suppliers are not so friendly to their customers.
I bought my birdwatcher brother in law a Aldi spotter a few years ago and his birder acquaintances couldn't believe the price and quality.
I once visited Bempton Cliffs "bird" site at which seven carparking tickets would have bought a Aldi spoter and the visitor centre offered exotic spotters costing £3,000.
Best wishes from Cliff
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Dear Cliff,
The Visitor Centre is obviously not selling really expensive scopes.
The Questar Birder broadband is now on clearance reduced from £4,600 to £3,600 with just the one 24mm eyepiece.
Of course Questars have the inbuilt barlow and inbuilt finder.
If you want a full range of eyepieces etc there will be no change from £5,000.
You are right, top end Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss, Kowa and Nikon are nudging £3,000.
What seems strange to me is that when new versions of these scopes come out birders buy these and trade in their older Apos.
The point is these scopes should happily last twenty or thirty years and the new models are not that much better than the old.
You can buy a good 77mm Leica Apo Televid with the 20 to 60mm zoom and waterproof case for around £700 with a six month shop guarantee.
So many were traded in by birders upgrading that you have a choice and could buy a really good one.
They are certainly not past their sell by date and as far as I am aware would give another twenty years of fine service.
It seems to me that there are a lot more birders than astronomers and many happily pay considerable sums for their equipment.
I have no problem with that as the scopes have to work in rain, mud and wetlands and work properly on an expedition to wild places.

Mind you the weather in Britain has been pretty wild the last three months.

Regards, David
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

As a follow-up this Sunday morning I found , at 1100-1130BST the Crescent Moon and Venus in the same fov of a Nikon 8x36 binocular between clouds and then used the Optus 60mm (Aldi) to look at both separately....too far apart for the 1.6deg fov of course. The crescent of Venus was visible in the scope at x20 (as I would expect) but did suffer from a bit of a small flare/ghost/coma adjacent to Venus even in daylight. (I certainly would only use it at x20, anything much higher really degrades the view.) Was unable to see Jupiter though during the day.maf
Paul Freeman

Post by Paul Freeman »

Completly occulted out here as well!

Paul.
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Nothing but greyness and a depressing half-light here, with another deluge on the way.
I walked past a photographer's shop the other day and saw an ancient and heavy 20X60 spottingscope, with no maker's name stamped on it, in the window for £14; I thought that it might be a "eureka" moment.
I bought the spotter, which was solidly built like military stuff, and dismantled it on the kitchen table. The two porro-prisms were hopelessy scratched and stained ( which was why I couldn't test the spotter at the shop ), but my only interest in buying this relic was to find out if the achromatic objective, which looked okay, was better than the one in the ALDI spotter, so that I could substitute it.
The focal lengths of the objectives differed by about 50mm, although I could have made an extension tube for the ALDI "Optus" to accomodate the difference, but field curvature in relic's objective was hopeless strong.
Now I've junked this well-constructed, but optically-hopeless, spotter.
brian
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Dear Brian,
You win some, you lose some.

Could the field curvature be corrected further down by a focussing element?
Or by the eyepiece? Or even the prism assembly?
It seems unlikely it could be that bad on purpose.
Was the O.G. back to front?
Is the O.G. cemented? If uncemented has it been reassembled wrongly?
If you can see any image at all with the whole scope is it reasonable?

Are there any markings whatsoever on the old spotter that could identify it, even military or other numbers?

Total cloud.

Regards, David
Brian

Post by Brian »

Cloud here as well. Maybe the odd "sucker-hole" but mainly in the west. A shame as Skymap predicted that Jupiter would be cut in half during the graze from my location. Oh well.....
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
Mell

Post by Mell »

I faired no better either!!

I did manage to catch the auroral glow though, on Sunday evening and the one very faint (averted vision) ray!

Bit of a washout this summer!!
Mell Jeffery, FRAS.
Occultation Section Director
Email - occultation@popastro.com
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/SPA-Occu ... 6272672796
Twitter - https://twitter.com/OccultationsSPA
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Totally cloudy yesterday and much rain and I didn't see the Jupiter event either.
However, suddenly this morning July 17 at 02.55 UT the clouds cleared to reveal a very transparent northern sky.
I looked carefully but could not see any noctilucent clouds or aurorae. But the sky was already light and may have been a bit too bright for either.
The bright stars is Ursa Major were not found with unaided eyes, but did some useful binocular testing and they were extremely bright in a 20 x 60 binocular.
The 8 x 40 EWA binocular revealed more stars but much less bright than in 20 x 60.
Then I tried to view the southeast to east sky. Here it was clear but with low elevation probable cirrus streaks.
Suddenly at 03.27 UT a brilliant planet appeared just clear of buildings. I thought it must be Venus, but saw it again at 03.33 and 03.42 UT and decided it must be Jupiter.
Unfortunately all the sky from about east to northeast is blocked for me.
I think Venus was just hidden and also the Moon.
The whole view should have been great, but I could not see it.
Sky getting very light.
I could not use a binocular because of the very odd angle. Only saw the brilliant planet, I think Jupiter with eyes alone.
Anyway my first view this apparition.
The clouds and rain over the last 6 weeks or so has made most observing very difficult or impossible.

Regards, David
Paul Freeman

Post by Paul Freeman »

Was anyone in the UK able to observe this event?

Paul.
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Dear Paul,
According to Dualyn it was clear somewhere in county Durham, although he missed it.
So I presume someone saw it.
See post under General Chat.

Regards, David
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

The pre-dawn sky was clear here too on 17th Tuesday and 1 Located URANUS at 0217BST through the window. Later JUPITER was seen to rise and at 0310BST Aldebaran and then at 0318BST VENUS. The crescent MOON rose at 0425BST and was photographed...it was just 2 days to NEW. Used the OPTUS 60mm for all these and through the bedroom window. Also had a nice view of M45 Pleiades and it revealed the 8mag double star inside the 'bowl' and details of the component stars in M34 so not a 'useless' scope. One positive point is that the rubber eye-shield is of such a size that the nose-piece of my Ricoh R8 digital camera fits in it snuggly making photographing the Moon successful. maf