Companies offering Dark Sites and accommodation

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

ganymede

Companies offering Dark Sites and accommodation

Post by ganymede »

Hi,
Becoming rather disappointed at the lack of clear skies in the Buckinghamshire region I have been looking for Organisations who are based on a Dark Site and offer telescope equipment hire with B and B accommodation.
The only 'good one' I can find is the Scottish, Galloway Astronomical Centre, which is on the Scottish Markars pensular.
The journey seems quite daunting.!!

Using trains, buses, coaches and taxis I calculated the single journey time from High Wycombe to be around 7hours minimum at a return cost of £220 plus the cost for the Bed and Breakfast and 'scope hire at £5per hr.

I shall be grateful if you were able to recommend another site mot too distant! perhaps Norfolk or Devonshire.

I would welcome you help and assistance
ganymede ( anthony)
stella

Post by stella »

David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Dear Anthony,

COAA in southern Portugal may be quicker than getting to the Galloway centre, and possibly cheaper.

There are quite a few amateur astronomers in High Wycombe, perhaps they have visited several places.

Devon sounds good. I went there with WOLAS. But you have to be lucky with the weather. I don't know if Portugal has more clear nights.

Regards, David
LeoLion

Post by LeoLion »

I can reccomend Fieldview in North Norfolk http://www.earthandsky.co.uk/ . There are scopes to use (or take your own ) and a good astro library. The nearby pub provides for your lunch and evening meal. Its a short walk of about three hundred yards but you will need a torch as there is no lighting ! To get out on your mobile you will have to head up the hill from the pub to get a signal . Your not far from Well's Next the Sea and it is a great place for bird watchers . I drove there from West Yorkshire so I am not sure about public transport access.
ganymede

I can reccomend Fieldview in North Norfolk http://www.eartha

Post by ganymede »

Hi LeoLion,

A few more months before we are able to see the Leo constellation, which I am tentatively suggesting may be your favourite site!!

Anyway,many thanks for the details about Fieldview, looking at their website it looks quite nice and travellerling from here the journey by car appears a doddle, and I could take some equipment with me, unlike the epic journey to Galloway, requiring a taxi, 3 trains, 2 buses/coaches and another taxi...

The weather is the main criteria, whereve one goes.
Thanks again Leolion.
A happy New Year and ofcourse 'Clearskies'
ganymede
ganymede

COAA in southern Portugal may be quicker than getting to the

Post by ganymede »

Hi David,
Many thanks for your suggestion.
The weather may well be more favourable in Southern Portugal although at present I have a condition that makes airtravel a little risky.

Happy New Year.
Clear Skies.
ganymede.
ganymede

tp://www.exmoor-nationalpark.gov.uk/environment/landscape/?a

Post by ganymede »

Hi Stella

Are you named after that song" Stella by Starlght" sung by one of my favourite singers Frank Sinatra. He had a big hit with that song in the 60's...oh dear! showing my age!
Happy New Year and Clear Skies.
ganymede