Comet Garradd

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

According to Wikipedia a Twitten is an old dialect word used in East and West Sussex for an alley, and is still in common use.

Does it also mean something else Mike?

Regards, David
Ender Of Days

Post by Ender Of Days »

Having read through this thread I decided to give Garradd another go last night,despite it being quite low by the time I got the "125" ready it was easily found,right in a small 3 star triangle,
I wasn't sure if it was Garradd or an open cluster so I drew the field down and checked Stellarium ..
I used the ocular view .. perfect :lol:

I compared the Comet with M13 in Hercules which was way brighter,and then as the sky looked better than it had done in a while I re visited M57,
even using my 32mm sp Im sure I could make out the hole in the ring,and the 26mm sp showed it to be so (at least to my tired eyes) something I didn't think possible ..

JJ.. :D
aint no speed limit where im comin from ..
lets hit the highway doing 69

ETX 125
Meade Series 4000 box set
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

Twitten is a commonly used very local Sussex term for an alleyway or pasageway running between houses, often joining separate roads for walkers only. In Portslade there is also a "cattle arch" , an alley/twitten running under a railway line.......this was originally a "drovers road" for driving farm animals. Southwick - West Sx has a road called "The Twitten" ............I have also seen a "twitten" in Hastings. maf
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Twitten might date back to the days when folks emptied their chamber pots from upstairs windows into alleyways, where only twits would walk. :wink:
brian
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

As my wife pointed out.....the alley beside my house, leading only to various back gardens should not really be considers a twitten as it is not a walkway between two roads. I checked my dictionaries but it is not listed in them however 'betwixt' is listed - as in 'betwixt and between' - perhaps tere is a connection.....who knows! maf
coldfieldboundary

Post by coldfieldboundary »

This morning. The telescope from the garage to the patio. Garradd is also now close to the M92 globular. First to 40x, and Garradd was found. But no globular seen. In the finder (10 x 50), and they were both seen. Almost equal size, but M92 with much brighter middle. Back in the 40x, they were both just not in the field of 1.5 degr. I estimated Garradd again 6.6, 5 ' and a tiny core DC = 7. The next four nights he comes closer. A cold but beautiful observation!
Thanks to the clear cold nights...
coldfieldboundary

Well, this morning both nicely in one eyepiece (40x). Marvelous, M92 more striking, and the equally sized Garradd floats just like a strange faint smudge next to it. Estimated magnitude 6.7 this time. Tomorrow he comes closest!
coldfieldboundary

because of a hurry, only this time with the 10x50. it also began getting light in the east. A bright and fainter fluff were seen!
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

Comet Garradd........Friday. 3rd February.
0250 : Used newly acquired 20-60X70 Clubman spotting scope on tripod and through the bedroom window to see the comet in the same fov as M92.
0605 : Used the same equipment but from the garden.
In this scope M92 was as an unresolved round disc with a brighter centre, the comet was perhaps a bit fainter without central brightness, and with very indistinct edges. maf
Last edited by mike a feist on Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Hi Mike,
Maybe Thursday/Friday ?

I have not seen it once. The light pollution is so bad I didn't try.
Tired last two days as clear skies kept me awake.

How do you rate the Clubman spotter?
They obviously vary but is it O.K.?

Now sunny with some cloud. It was minus 5C last night.

regards, David
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Dear Mike,
Did you see my note about Bassett and Gowin?
Under Saturn heading in Observing. 2012 Jan 26?

Regards, David
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

(a) I had come across the telescope-makers you mentionede but thank you for pointing it out.
(b) Have correctd the day!
(c) Will add later info on the scope as Megan needs a walk......bck from the walk on a very cold but bright morning!
The 20-60X70 Clubman Spotter is of medium quality, I would say. Apparently they come with a choice of one of three eyepieces included in the price...although as I have found with similar scopes all those in stock seem to be with the zoom eyepiece. However this model is also suitable for use with the standard astronomical eyepiece which is a positive point. The zoom eyepiece is OK at the low end (x20) but the highest end (x60) is poor ...either because of the eyepiece or OG or both..........this is generally the case with relatively inexpensive spotting scopes. However the image is pretty good to the edge of the fov (unlike the 50mm Clubman that I also have) . Very bright objects like Venus and the Moon produce some reflection ghosting and chromatic aberration. The eyepiece is at 45 degrees and I am inclined now to favour these now over the straight- through although it is more difficult to locate objects, especially as straight-through is troublesome for my neck.
Experimented yesterday with one or two of the eyepieces that I have in my PST box in the spotter and the cheap K20 works quite well in the spotter giving roughly I think 20x. Tried the zoom in the PST too....not bad either.
The 70mm spotter was marked up as £129 although would negotiate........actuallly traded it my Hawke Binoculars,,,,,,,excellent but rather have tripod-mounted spotter nowadays.
regards maf
Gregger

Post by Gregger »

I bagged M92 and Garradd this morning at 05.45 and -8.5C

Super site in my Quantum 100mm binos, with the comet a magnitude less than M92 I'd say

Lovely pair together, I made a sketch which I shall try to post
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Where is the comet at the moment? Has it left Hercules?
brian
stella

Post by stella »

"Has it left Hercules?".

No, it doesn't move into Draco until the evening of February 13.