15x70

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

thomasfn

15x70

Post by thomasfn »

Just been out with my new 15x70 strathspey on their first field test and the first thing to pop to mind was WOW.Iam new to astronomy but the view i so was the reason i got into it in the first place,even surrounded with street lights the sight was amazing.
My first mission is to spot andromida only iam not sure what it will look like in binoculars, will it be vissable clearly or will i need averted vision to spot it, also how many of the messier objects are vissable with 15x70 binoculars?
Any help with these 2 queries would be fantastic, thanks in advance.
skywatcher skymax-90+EQ1,strathspey 15x70 bins.
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Thomasfn
Best of luck with your 15 x 70s, I have some Similar size binoculars myself though a different make, and like yourself my home observing site is not an ideal dark location.
Even so unless your location is absolutely terrible hopefully you will be able to see Messier 31 ie the famous Andromeda Nebula (or galaxy as it is) OK using your binoculars and without need to resorting to such advanced observing tactics as averted vision. Indeed on a good night if you are lucky you might see M31 by unaided eye, if your location is not too bad with regards light pollution. Using your bins M31 shoulf be fairly easy though only visible as a fairly big fuzzy blob. I think it must be said that some people seeing M31 for the first time are disappointed with Their view of M31, but most of us are impressed by realising the fuzzy blob is an imense Galaxy more than 2 million light years away.
As for other potential Messier objects that you might be able to observe with, hpefully there are quite a few. Messier 27, M57 which are planetary nebulae, many spectacular open star clusters such as M35, M36, M37, M38 and nice and easy M45 but very lovely in binoculars. There are other open star clusters and several globular clusters as well M13, M15, M3 M71 though they are not necessarily seen as anything but fuzzy blobs. There are even a few Galaxies M81 and M82 are likely decent targets for you.
However, for various reasons and particularly being a newish astronomer, do not expect to see all of them in one night !
Best wishes from Cliff
thomasfn

Post by thomasfn »

thanks for the advice cliff iam sure ive got a few their that will last me a good while, iam going to make a list and tick them off as i go:), cheers again.
skywatcher skymax-90+EQ1,strathspey 15x70 bins.