Observing from the Pillow

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Observing from the Pillow

Post by mike a feist »

I always leave the bedroom curtains open so that I can watch the sky and keep an eye on the conditions when I awake during the night. I can lay on the pillow and watch the stars pass by and hence the Earth turn... and even do a bit of proper observing too! See below..
"17th November, 0135 UT: Despite very bright moonlight and thin bits of cloud, R Leonis was visible 'from my pillow' using 10 x 50 Bresser monocular, appearing brighter than the two adjacect stars." maf
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

So how long have you been pushing the bed outside, Mike? :lol: I've heard about pavement astronomers, but this is new.
brian
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

Actally that is not a bad idea in the summer....sleeping outside and observing on and off through the night.....!

But seriously though, I have made many interesting sightings from bed....including on a number of occasions the planet Mercury. maf
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Mike
We keep our bedroom curtains closed. Amongst other things there is a street light barely 5 metres away. About 5 years ago when our local authority "improved" our residential road lighting (sounds posh residential don't you thnk) they replaced the old 35 watt low pressure sodium lights with 70 watt high pressure sodium and also increased the lighting column heights, kept the same spacing between lighting columns . My wife, not me, actually complained to our local authority about the new HPS street light lighting up our bedroom (despite our thick curtains) and as a result the local authority did actually place a small baffle behind the light to reduce glare.
A couple of years later I attended a North West England meeting of the Institution of Lighting Engineers as a stand in for the CfDS representative who could not attend the meeting. When I told the meeting about my wife having complained and the offending light having been baffled - I was actually jeered by a few of the lighting engineers at the meeting.
One engineer said that he sometimes took his children out for walks at night in his own HPS lit area. He said if the lighting were still LPS he would not take his children out at night !
If I try to observe from the front of our house as I very occasionally (eg Comet Holmes) I need to hide the nearest light behind a wall and put up with the other streetlights as best I can.
Best of luck from Cliff
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

Hi Cliff
I was actually jeered by a few of the lighting engineers at the meeting.
I used to work for an Electrical Wholesaler (for 20 years up to about 10 years ago) and I asked the local lighting manufacturing representative about his position on Light Pollution....the question drew a complete blank. He know nothing about it....a least I did not get jeered at.

Expecting Lighting Engineers to support protecting the night sky is like asking bar persons to not sell so much alcohol to make the environment less raucous, violent, vomit-ladened etc

maf
thomasfn

Post by thomasfn »

A friend of mine regulaly clambers up a street light out side his mothers bedroom and just removes the fuse from the top, problem solved :), maybe a bit tricky for older members tho.
skywatcher skymax-90+EQ1,strathspey 15x70 bins.
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Back in the 1960s, I knew a skywatcher who regularly knocked out an offending streetlight with his air-rifle. It wasn't me, Officer.
brian
Davej

Post by Davej »

brian livesey wrote:Back in the 1960s, I knew a skywatcher who regularly knocked out an offending streetlight with his air-rifle. It wasn't me, Officer.
Hi Brian,
My local council has changed all the street lights from the yellow sodium ones
to energy saving lighting..surounded by the darned things.
Hasn"t stopped the yobs from pinching the name plate from the front of my car tho .
Dave
Meade LX 200 (7"). Odyssey 8" Dob.
11X80 10x50 15x70 bins
Celestron Neximage ccd cam
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Davej
You say that your council changed your local streetlights which used to be orange to new energy saving ones.
Are you sure about that (ie that the new council lights are actually energy saving ones.
I suspect your old orange lights were low pressure sodium type.
If the new streetlights provide a whiter light and the lantern is smaller then the new lights are possibly High Pressure Sodium and if they are very bright they may use more electricity than the old LPS orange lighting.
The old LPS orange lights in our street were 35 watt - I understand our new whiter lighting are 70 watts each ie they use twice as much electricity ours do not "save" energy.
Best of luck from Cliff
Davej

Post by Davej »

Hi Cliff,
I wais quoting someone who told me about the new lights. Got to agree with you. No wonder my electricity and council tax bills keep going up :)
ATB
Dave
Meade LX 200 (7"). Odyssey 8" Dob.
11X80 10x50 15x70 bins
Celestron Neximage ccd cam