Sculptor

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

SkyBrowser

Sculptor

Post by SkyBrowser »

Just catching up on some old observations from December 2017! I was looking out of the bedroom window to see how much of Sculptor I could see. I know from other observations that my southern horizon cuts off at 2°. Sunset was at 1608UT. I was using my wide-angle 2.1x42 Vixens and my 8x50s.

1742UT : The only Sculptor star I can see in the Vixens is delta Sculptor (4.6), altitude 10°. [but alpha (4.3) must surely have been visible, probably hiding behind a tree].

1743UT : Gamma (4.4) now just visible. Altitude 6°.

1746UT : HR8871 (6.4), aka TYC 7510-567 just below gamma, is visible with a.v. in the 8x50s. Altitude 5°.

1747UT : Mu Scl (5.3) easy in 8x50s. Altitude 6°.

1749UT : AL Scl (6.1-6.3) visible as hazy blob in 8x50s to the left of Mu. 6°.

1750UT : HR13 (5.7), aka TYC 6992-1050, just visible in 8x50s. 4°. So about 2° above the local horizon.

1753UT : Can't see any Sculptor stars with the naked-eye.

1759UT : Despite being mostly behind a tree, the outline of PsA (alpha, beta, gamma, delta) shows well in the 2x42s.

Anybody else had a look to see how low they can go? In theory I should be able see gamma Grus and I've seen various stars in Microscopium. From where I observed I'm hampered by trees including a big fir tree. I need to go walkabout!

Sculptor.png
Sculptor.png (62.24 KiB) Viewed 249 times
michael feist

Re: Sculptor

Post by michael feist »

Re. going low, my favourite far-south star is 2 Lupi. I actually managed to locate it again the morning at about 0220 BST. The sky was very clear for a while. From my back garden, the southern horizon is hidden by roofs of houses in the main rd although these do hide the streetlamps. My house, at about 90 degrees of angle from these, hides the streetlamps in the close. However there is a narrow space where the row of southern houses ends - and from a judicious spot in my small garden, one can see a narrow strip much lower down. In this I followed the stars of Scorpius southwards towards the horizon; omega 1 and 2, beta -Graffias, Delta, pi, [and neat asterism to the right containing 1 and 2 Sco,, and finally rho. To right of rho Sco. came across 36 and upsilon Lib. with Tau at the very bottom of the Libra, just above the minus 30 deg declination. Then across to the right same again 2 Lupi, just below the minus 30 deg declination. regards maf [used tripoded 10x42 monocular].
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

Gamma Grus is my long-term target. From where I am it culminates at 1.75°. I'll definitely have to go walkabout (heading south, natch!) for that one as my local horizon is at about 2°.
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

michael feist wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:55 am In this I followed the stars of Scorpius southwards towards the horizon; omega 1 and 2, beta -Graffias, Delta,
I like this grouping, half a diamond with a double star in the middle! I was looking at it, pre-Deluge, a couple of weeks ago on an incredibly clear night, stars right down to the horizon.

I didn't know Delta was called Graffias ("claws"), but on Googling I discover that Xi and Zeta Scorpii are also called Graffias, and ditto 48 Librae!
michael feist wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:55 am Then across to the right same again 2 Lupi, just below the minus 30 deg declination
1 Lupi, at mag 4.9 ought to be doable too. And Chi, mag 3.9, at -34 or so? Of course if you could get to a sea-horizon you could sweep to the theoretical limit!
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

In ' Luna Cognita' vol. 3. by Garfinkle, in a table of Arabic Lunar Mansions, the follow is given;
Concerning the Asterism of 8 beta Scorpii [Graffias or Acrab], 7 Delta Scorpii [Dschubba], 14 Nu Scorpii [Jabbah] and 5 Rho Scorpii. regards maf.
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

Well, I'd never of thought of looking there! I do have Garfinkle's magnum opus, but I confess I haven't paid much attention to Volume 3 :)