It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 3:25 am

Post subject: Re: Mercury
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:09 am 

MERCURY & VENUS & Atmospheric Optical Phenomena - 21st May MMXX;
1. Venus in Daylight; Weather hot and sunny but with a rather 'milky' sky. Located VENUS at 1325 BST from the garden using L/S60 and followed on-and-off until 1510 BST and made a rough sketch of the very thin, large crescent.
2. Before sunset, 1910-1915 BST, a colourful upper three-quarters of a 22 deg. Solar Halo was seen as the sky became rather overcast, and at the end a much brighter LH sundog too. But soon lost to the lower clouds.
3. After this I did not expect to be able to observe the closest coming-together of Venus & Mercury BUT...by 2130BST, when I considered going to bed, I noticed a little improvement so nipped out beyond the garden gate with 8x30 to see Venus bit fuzzy within thin cloud and...Mercury which was free of cloud but within three minutes was gobbled up by a large cloud-bank. The two planets were separated by 1/5th or 1/6th of the fov, with Mercury below and just a bit to the right of Venus.
After all of that, I went to bed content! regards mike.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:55 am 

I’m so glad you got to see them both, Mike. I was clouded out here in Stoke-on-Trent. Did Mercury appear any brighter this evening?

I shall hope for better conditions tonight.

Best wishes, Jeff.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:20 pm 

Some interesting comments over the last two or three days regarding Mercury. I always try to spot Mercury on the three or four occasions when it is available for viewing throughout the year. I didn't manage last night due to stubborn cloud cover. I thought this evening would be similar but just managed to spot Venus and Mercury through a slight gap in the clouds around 9:20pm through my 10x50 'binos. Mercury was just to the left of Venus and a tad higher. I followed them for about ten seconds before low cloud intervened. I was very fortunate to have seen them. I would be interested to know if anyone else spotted them.
Regards, Paul.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:35 pm 

Well done Paul, great to see people making the effort to observe.

The dance of Venus and Mercury once more, this time closer in apparent position. The crescent phase of Venus was about 5% this evening, and clearly visible in a tripod mounted 10x50 monocular.

This was taken around 9:40pm, as they were both disappearing towards the horizon. I started observing just after 9:00pm, when I could just detect Mercury in the monocular - again a slight pinkish tinge to the point of light. After it disappeared from view in my garden, I went a short walk to a spot with an unhindered view of the horizon, and could see Mercury with the unaided eye - about 10:10pm.

It’s really nice to have a reasonable run of clear skies to follow them each night.

Attachments:
AD3BE927-201B-4396-AD6B-F9B208D9ABEC.jpeg
AD3BE927-201B-4396-AD6B-F9B208D9ABEC.jpeg [ 45.65 KiB | Viewed 95 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:56 am 

Venus and Mercury spotted together by t'wife and I in the same 10x50 binocular field from our north facing patio doors: a rarely cloud-granted sight.
Regards Bob

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:59 pm 

I had the good fortune to make an observation of the slender crescent Moon and Mercury this evening. Enough cloud had cleared, by 10:02pm, to reveal the two at roughly the same altitude, with Mercury to the right of the Moon. Unfortunately, Venus was covered by a cloud bank for the whole time I observed.

As the crescent Moon began to sink towards the horizon, it developed a slightly warm cream colouration. I observed for about 20 minutes, using an 8x50 monocular, but had to view from an upstairs window; the pair were too low to be visible from our garden. At no point could I detect Mercury with the unaided eye - I suspect atmospheric interference played its part in this.

Lovely to have witnessed the pairing.

Best wishes, Jeff.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:43 am 

Crescent Moon, Mercury, Venus & Sun-pillar 24th May MMXX
Used L/S60, 8X30 binocular, and Canon Compact Digital.
To 'beyond the front garden gate' where a good view was possible of the NW sunset horizon.
The sky was generally clear by 2100 BST, but with a few bits of thin cloud over the sunset spot [the Sun had set] which were painted 'sunset pink' and quite beautiful. Even more so was a SUN-PILLAR also painted 'sunset pink'. This was first noticed at about 2105 BST, and became brighter and then faded by about 2130 BST. At best was over 10 degrees long [high].
Scanned the sky for VENUS with the 8x30 and soon located it , and in L/S60 as a bright crescent, quite low-down in the NW.
Then scanned with the 8x30 binocular for the Crescent MOON, finding it in thin, pink clouds, then obvious with unaided-eye. Turning the L/S60 onto it, produced a good view of the 50h old Moon, although no Earthshine was seen due to the sky brightness. Detail was visible on the terminator.
The final target was, of course, MERCURY, which was located in the 8x30, across to the right from the Moon, and was then seen in the L/S60 too. Not till the end of the session could this planet be seen with my unaided eye.
By 2130 BST all three objects could be seen in an almost isosceles triangle.
Managed to photograph the Moon and Venus, but not Mercury. The sun-pillar was just sbout recorded photographically.
By 2145 BST returned all the equipment indoors but could not resist a last look, so walked to the nearby garages and street for a final view, wonderful! And then to bed. regards mike. [PS. sorry if this is too long but was writing up these notes to included in my diary. Glad some other at least saw something of this event. I was very lucky with the weather! maf]

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:54 am 

Lovely observation, Mike, and a sun pillar to add to the scene too.

Best wishes, Jeff.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:20 pm 

Hi, I also spotted the thin crescent moon around 9:30 pm last night. It was possibly one of the thinnest I have even seen; by my calculations around 51 hours old (or should it be young?). Mercury seen as well to the right although I needed my 10x50's. Venus also, to the right of Mercury and lower. Excellent sight. Venus is now beginning to fade from view quite rapidly.
Regards, Paul.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:20 pm 

Glad you got to see them, Paul.

I have just (10:05pm) observed the crescent Moon, Mercury and Venus, using a 10x50 monocular, viewed from an upstairs bedroom window. I feel very, very lucky to have had one more glimpse. There were thin bands of dense cloud just above the horizon, but gaps in between allowed the super slender crescent Venus to blaze through. Even in a 10x50, stabilised by pressing the front against a window, the crescent was obvious. It really seemed incredibly bright. Once more, Mercury appeared to have a pinkish tinge. Earthshine was clearly visible on the Moon.

It’s been fascinating reading and contributing to this thread - great to read other people’s thoughts and details.

Best wishes,

Jeff.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:17 am 

Crescent Moon, Mercury & Venus; 25th May, MMXX.
Mainly clear sky but with very thin cloud in the NW painted sunset orange-red. This time just took 8x30 wide-angle binocular 'beyond the garden gate.'
At 2110 BST, the crescent Moon was now obvious and later on, at about 2130 BST, Earthshine was clearly visible in the 8x30.
Venus, lower-down in the NW, was visible in 8x30, even though sometimes in thin red cloud, and was visible later with the unaided eye by 2118 BST. Venus showed its crescentic phase in the x8 especially if carefully held still by resting the eyepieces against my eyebrows and grasping the instrument's body against the peak of my cap!
By 2125 BST up to the left of Venus, Mercury was visible but only in the binocular, never to the unaided eye. These two planets just about fitted the fov of the instrument. Mercury was followed until 2150 BST.
regards mike

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:52 am 

Tuesday 26th May MMXX; From 1440 BST to 1933 BST invasion of high clouds produced an almost complete 22 degree solar halo and later a LH and than RH sundog. Although conditions improved somewhat after sunset, a short, almost square 'red' sun pillar was seen at 2130 BST when I ventured 'beyond the garden gate' again in search of Venus and Mercury.
Used 8x30 binocular to search amongst orange-pink, turning to purple and then then grey,
strips of cloud in the NW.
Finally I found the crescent VENUS, as it popped out from the bottom of a cloud, and was followed with 8x30 and unaided-eye until it set behind a distant hill at 2158 BST.
searched for MERCURY, and finally located it at 2204 BST. It was only visible in the 8x30 binocular. [obs.#546]
The crescent MOON with prominent Earthshine was also observed and, in the 8x30 was in the same fov as the Pollux. regards mike.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:54 am 

Since my last observation, a run of cloud-plagued evenings has distanced all this from me. But it's good to read of your observations.

Venus and Mercury are now getting really low by the time it gets sufficiently dark here. At about 10 o'clock BST, I observed the lovely crescent moon and its Earth-shine through my binoculars last night, though. And I was treated to the timely sight of an aircraft flying across the field of view, its lights flashing.

Best wishes,

Nigel