It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:28 am

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:24 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
6/11/18. 0635. Fine Lunar Crescent (34 hours to New Moon) seen from the bedroom window using 8x32 binocular between bits and pieces of thin cloud, but soon lost before I could attempt to photograph the scene. But, also, when search for it again but failing to find it, half-an-hour later, at 0705, I located the bright Venusian crescent as a "Morning Star". Crescent phase obvious in the 8x32 binocular and an even better view was had using the 60mm Nikon Spotter, @ 15x magnification, with scope just rested on the window frame. It's back! Low in the south east before sunrise. Regards maf.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:11 am 

8/11/18. VENUS seen again under a clearer sky. First located at about 0635 from the bedroom window with the planet just above the southern rooftops but mostly hidden amongst branches of a tree. By 0648 it was well clear of obstructions but still only visible from the upstairs window, so used 60mm Nikon spotter (@ 15x) through the double glazing (opening the window to get a reasonably square-on view). Bright and large, thin crescent was well seen and by resting my camera on the top of the scope, and zooming it up I was just able to get just a couple of Crescent Venus snaps! Regards maf.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:24 am 

WILL PEOPLE PLEASE STOP telling us what they can see, all I can see is RAIN :( FOUR weeks and counting

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:13 am 

Not much rain here in the North West at the moment, but plenty of cloud.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:18 pm 

LAST December I bought a new 120mm triplet and Celestron 8" Edge HD, it was raining and overcast till April, this August I bought a Daystar Quark Ha and 72mm ED, it is still raining *(&^&(*((*(*&(*&^*

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:50 pm 

It's the hurricane season in America. At this time of year, they send us their anticyclonic leftovers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:03 am 

It depends on where you live in this small damp island! Also perhaps how quickly you can grab an observation in the limited amount of clear sky between the clouds. If I had to take a large instrument outside, set it up, and located the object of. Interest, choose the best eyepiece etc etc, before I could even start, I guess I would record much less than I do. This morning, Friday, caught a short glimpse of Venus again in a cloud gap in 8x32 my binocular through the bedroom window but it soon disappeared before I could even get the camera out! I may well have succeeded in photographing the scene of Venus + the surrounding clouds had I not taken the memory card out yesterday in readiness for taking it to the chemist to print a few pictures, and being presented with the message "no memory", I so missed the opportunity! Regards maf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:13 am 

mike a feist wrote:
It depends on where you live in this small damp island! Also perhaps how quickly you can grab an observation in the limited amount of clear sky between the clouds. If I had to take a large instrument outside, set it up, and located the object of. Interest, choose the best eyepiece etc etc, before I could even start, I guess I would record much less than I do. This morning, Friday, caught a short glimpse of Venus again in a cloud gap in 8x32 my binocular through the bedroom window but it soon disappeared before I could even get the camera out! I may well have succeeded in photographing the scene of Venus + the surrounding clouds had I not taken the memory card out yesterday in readiness for taking it to the chemist to print a few pictures, and being presented with the message "no memory", I so missed the opportunity! Regards maf

I agree with you there, until just recently I could not understand why people had "good" quality gear (I have some, thanks to retirement and not smoking etc), and yet having a 4/5/6" refractor wanted a small one classed as grab and go.

Then I got the 72mm and have never looked back, there really is a place for a small scope on a decent camera tripod AND I have just ordered the Baader zoom eyepiece for it.

Chemist !, to print !, decent printers are £60 from Canon DIY and only one memory card ???? :( , done that too, bought a spare DSLR and forgot to switch off work with NO card installed, 50 shots later replay, can't NO card............... never again

Attachment:
P1060165.jpg
P1060165.jpg [ 90.25 KiB | Viewed 90 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:21 am 

brian livesey wrote:
It's the hurricane season in America. At this time of year, they send us their anticyclonic leftovers.

Wildfires yesterday and this week

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:50 am 

Ideally, I'd like to have my 8-inch Newt permanently set up in the back garden, covered with a weatherproof, easy-to-remove, box.
The snag is that, if I did leave the 'scope outdoors, it would be a target for theft or vandalism.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:42 pm 

brian livesey wrote:
Ideally, I'd like to have my 8-inch Newt permanently set up in the back garden, covered with a weatherproof, easy-to-remove, box.
The snag is that, if I did leave the 'scope outdoors, it would be a target for theft or vandalism.

When I move next I will get an observatory, I did have one where I lived in Cornwall

Attachment:
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg [ 54.4 KiB | Viewed 84 times ]

Attachment:
Image6.jpg
Image6.jpg [ 51.61 KiB | Viewed 84 times ]

Attachment:
Image7.jpg
Image7.jpg [ 56.82 KiB | Viewed 84 times ]