It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:35 pm

Post subject: Are LEDs better?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:50 pm 

Some skywatchers are claiming that since the introduction of LED lighting in their districts, there's been a reduction in the intensity of light pollution compared to what it was under sodium lamps. Has anyone noticed this effect in their area?
A problem with LEDs is that, being cheaper than conventional lighting, more of them are being installed - not just by councils, but by householders too, in their gardens, etc. This could cancel out any supposed benefits from LED lighting.

Last edited by brian livesey on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Are LEDs better?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:52 pm 

At my location, I'm convinced that LEDs have reduced light pollution by some small but noticeable amount. However this is only true for when the atmosphere is quite clear. The slightest haze brings out a pervasive overhanging glow that's every bit as bad as the old sodium lights.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:54 pm 

I think that LEDs are awful.
At the corner in the main road is a double house that has 5 recent cheap excessively bright LED blasters pointing straight out to the street. They are at least ten times too bright and completely at the wrong angle.

The new neighbour house has an enormously bright similar horror about twenty times too bright shining straight at us.

Ad nauseum.

They are a disaster in practice.

Despite our best efforts every year gets worse and will continue to do so.

Electricians know nothing about good lighting practice.

I think that the Chinese might be producing trillions of these disaster LEDs rather than billions.

The Commission for Dark Skies suggests it may have to get as bad as the smog in 1952 before the British government does anything about it and with Brexit etc. even that seems optimistic.

I have nothing good to say about LEDs. I had great difficulty getting a non LED bathroom fitting but did succeed.

I have a Green LED Binatone clock that has gone non stop for 45 years and I use LED torches, but otherwise I hate these things.

Regards,
David

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:51 pm 

There's no denying that white LEDs give off a raw glare. The problem at this site is that the newly installed road LEDs are not shielded.
Those who report an improvement, might be blessed with LEDs that are properly angled and shielded.