It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:02 am

Post subject: ManUtd 2 - ManCity Nil
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:22 pm 

President Trump may not be the only one damaging the Paris Accord.
In the apparent essential need to spread football's influence ever wider, ManchesterUnited & Manchester City, whose stadiums are only about 5 miles apart, recently played a friendly match on neither of their own grounds. Instead they played the game in Houston, Texas, USA, more than 4,000 miles away in neutral territory .
I wonder how the two Manchester football teams travelled to America - swimming the Atlantic for charity perhaps (although I gather the players did sell their playing gear for charity). More than likely though they travelled by aeroplane, possibly from Manchester's Ringway Airport, which I understand hopes to cater for millions of more passengers a year in the not too distant future. Flying may not currently be the most environmentally friendly means of travel but electric powered passenger planes, aviation's ultimate answer to the
critics may be just round the corner. Although the corner may not be a simple right angle, but ever increasing spiral. Electric powered flying may be aviation's magic wand silencing the critics & without even creating nasty contrails which supposedly never did any harm anyway apart from spoiling views of the great blue yonder & my observations of the Sun from time to time. Aircraft passengers might even get cheaper flights soon by pedalling dynamos helping to keep their aeroplanes in the air - pedalo-planes Just imagine 100% environmentally friendly flying everywhere.
Best wishes from Cliff

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 pm 

Dear Cliff,
Nuclear powered aircraft were tried, but the crew got sick.
No doubt passengers would also get sick.

Both Russia and the USA had them, at least experimental.

No hope for the Earth anyway.

Regards,
David

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:15 am 

Dear David
It just goes to show that the newer generations are more & more becoming WHIMPS. I can't believe it.
Not using Nuclear powered aircraft because passengers & crew got sick. Sailors got seasick but it didn't stop them discovering America.
Whatever, aeroplanes won't be going all-electric because the price of electricity is now going up. Pedal-planes are the only way forward.
Best wishes from C. Biggles-Hubble.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:55 pm 

Dear Cliff,
When I say sick I mean dead.
Also the people below exposed to the fall out.

These were bombers with almost unlimited range and the fallout was considered beneficial to the desire to harm the enemy.

Let's hope for less war and more peace.

Regards,
David

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:54 am 

Dear David et al(L)
Iv'e been very busy researching in NPAs(nuclear powered aircraft). Interestingly a vague subject, a bit like the invention of the telescope. As you well know I'm a duck egg using computers & often do things with my laptop I can never repeat. That seems to be the case with my discovery that Sir Archy Medes Tesla made the very first "successful" NPA. ( I may have typed in Wilkopedia by mistake & got into the childrens toy section?). Anyway it seems Sir Archy made his Mark 1 Flying Suit to successfully avoid radiation sickness when he made his first Nuclear Powered Aircraft many centuries ago. After his amazing flying success Archy made the very first space ship and equipped with an even better suit (Mk 2), he fired of into space. Unfortunately for us Archy took all his NPA & NP Spaceship gen with him in his secret spaceship. It seem Sir Archy who was a Senior Lecher-er in Alchemy had discovered a new element, whilst messing about with Zinc & playng on his harmonium at the same time. However, Archy kept his Zincomplexharmonium element secret, so it never got in the Periodic Table which was only conceived many centuries later.
Sir Archy has been in space a long time now but the good news is, when he fired of into space, he apparently left a note behind saying "BACK HOME IN 2018!"
Best wishes from Cliff - OH! - PS I'm going to display a picture of Archy's two anti- radiation suits on the gallery.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:53 pm 

Dear Cliff,
It is amazing the information one finds after just a few magic mushrooms. :D

Regards,
David

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:21 pm 

I get the impression that this thread is drifting away from astronomy :)

The Mods never sleep :D

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:31 pm 

Dear Brian & David
I often feel a bit the same about modern cosmology ?
I'm just recovering from a wonderful family holiday in Scotland, where we visited the Isle of Seil by driving over the "Bridge Over the Atlantic". From the far west side of the island , the Scottish Earth being flat (particularly after a glass or two of Scotch)I reckon we could see the USA (or certainly New Foundland), We also tried to visit Hamish MacTesla but he was out.
However, a neighbour told us Hamish had received a message from his distant -Great Grea Gre Gr G Uncle Sir Archy Medes Tesla way out in space who had landed on planet WOTS9T
orbiting FRAUE-1, umpteen million Light years from our Sun. Archy also sent a photo of a mountain on WOTS9T. He reckons if the base of that mountain is the same size as the base of Olympus Mons on Mars, his newly discovered mountain (see gallery) is probably the highest peak in the Milky Way Galaxy, possibly even the Universe \Multi-verse.
Best wishes from Cliff - PS - Scotch is far better than Magic Mushrooms.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:02 pm 

Sounds as if you had a good holiday Cliff. Welcome back! :D

Regards,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:43 pm 

Dear Brian
First, sorry if I took the joking too far. And apologies to Nicola Tesla, not famous in astronomy as far as I know, but I have a soft spot for him.
Yes, we had a wonderful time, our Son & Daughter in Law's idea, who went as well, first holiday for my wife and me for a few years (and our first time back in Scotland for 27years). I took binoculars but no specific solar observing gear - not wanting to encourage our two quite young grandchildren to look at the Sun. As it happened it rained 7 days out of the 8, so I don't think I could have done much solar stuff anyway - although we saw some fantastic scenery when the rain stopped from time to time.
I don't know if rainbows are considered astronomical in any way but we saw quite a few bows. One in particular a complete arc over Rannoch Moor. Frustratingly, I just failed to get both ends in my Canon 550D-SLR 15 - 55mm lens. I may eventually try to create a panorama with 2 or 3 of the various other images I took of different arc sections. It was only a single arc though. Some others, only partial arcs though were double.
Best wishes from Cliff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:09 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
I get the impression that this thread is drifting away from astronomy....quotation.
I get the feeling that amateur astronomy / skywatching has become really fragmented, what with local groups splitting up into practical-watching groups [often with huge-but not-really-a meeting-memberships}....talking groups ( desperately searching for speakers, mostly ending up with cosmology and "space" talks by professional astronomy speakers)....imaging groups (who spend most of there time juggling pictures about with their ccomputers.) One of the current problems with "groups" seems that the old "committee-idea" seems to have "crashed into the buffers" as "committee members" - mostly old-timers, have done it for so long that they want a break but no-one else wants to step forward, probably for fear of become "stuck with it" for the next decade. I believe that the FAS has recently run into this very same problem.
The input on this Forum has really dropped off of late, as I mentioned previously, and does not seem to be increasing now the nights are beginning to get longer. I previously mentioned my dissatisfaction with the new-style "Popular Astronomy". The current copy was delivered by the postman the other morning as I was setting out to go up to the Foredown Tower and by the time I had looked through it when I got there, I did not even bother to take it home, passing it on to another amateur astronomer who visited.
It would certainly be of interest if the results of the survey were published here so that I could judge whether it is just me getting old and grumpy or if others feel the same. If it continues as it is, I am unlike to renew my membership when the current "year" ends. regards maf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:55 am 

Dear Mike
I was a bit sorry to read your comments (although I agree with many things you say). I do think your criticism of Popular Astronomy is a bit harsh.
I pretty well completely stopped going to astro society meetings couple of years ago for several personal reasons. - eg My hearing deteriorated and mis-hearing a few important words can ruin a lecture. Scared of going into a city at night & even in daytime. And more !
I used to be a member of 7 astro organisations now down to 2. I am considering leaving another one I've not attended for several years but reluctant for sentimental reasons.
Excepting the SUN, I've given up most other aspects of practical astronomy.
I occasionally buy a big Astronomy monthly mag but to be honest now don't find much of real interest to me in them.
I agree that numbers using the chat forum seem to dwindle - problem probably being caused by us using it ?
Best wishes from Cliff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:06 pm 

Give it while and see if things pick up as the darker nights take hold. I would be interested to see a breakdown of membership by age groups. Mike, what put you off the last Pop Astronomy mag? Kind thoughts Bob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:35 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
Cliff: Although I still volunteer at the FT, my hearing is now poor, and partly due to this and due to the complexity of the teas, coffees etc now on offer (once it was "do you want tea or coffee?" - for the astronomy-group we added hot chocolate.) , I refuse to serve on the counter
-(what with decaffeinated, peppermint infusions, cappuccino coffee,etc etc - mangled up even with a hearing aid can be quite embarrassing!) and only do the camera obscura demonstrations. Doing the camera obscura can also be problematic with the hearing aid in. I really cannot do the demonstration then as I am too aware of what I am saying, so do it without, requesting that the watchers ask questions at the end. In addition my voice packs-up if I talk for too long ("teachers' throat! I think they call it!), and one or two demos per day is about it. One of the shop volunteers replied, when I said that I really only want to do one good demonstration a day and not repeat it 2 or 3 times, that she could not imagine giving the same talk, repeated over and over again over 27 years!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:55 am 

It's no fun growing old Mike, but keep on sending in your interesting posts, I always read them. You give good descriptions of the many sky phenomena that you manage to observe, and often at unearthly times of the night, when most of us are under the duvet :D .