It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:03 pm

Post subject: ManUtd 2 - ManCity Nil
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:22 pm 

President Trump may not be the only one damaging the Paris Accord.
In the apparent essential need to spread football's influence ever wider, ManchesterUnited & Manchester City, whose stadiums are only about 5 miles apart, recently played a friendly match on neither of their own grounds. Instead they played the game in Houston, Texas, USA, more than 4,000 miles away in neutral territory .
I wonder how the two Manchester football teams travelled to America - swimming the Atlantic for charity perhaps (although I gather the players did sell their playing gear for charity). More than likely though they travelled by aeroplane, possibly from Manchester's Ringway Airport, which I understand hopes to cater for millions of more passengers a year in the not too distant future. Flying may not currently be the most environmentally friendly means of travel but electric powered passenger planes, aviation's ultimate answer to the
critics may be just round the corner. Although the corner may not be a simple right angle, but ever increasing spiral. Electric powered flying may be aviation's magic wand silencing the critics & without even creating nasty contrails which supposedly never did any harm anyway apart from spoiling views of the great blue yonder & my observations of the Sun from time to time. Aircraft passengers might even get cheaper flights soon by pedalling dynamos helping to keep their aeroplanes in the air - pedalo-planes Just imagine 100% environmentally friendly flying everywhere.
Best wishes from Cliff

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 pm 

Dear Cliff,
Nuclear powered aircraft were tried, but the crew got sick.
No doubt passengers would also get sick.

Both Russia and the USA had them, at least experimental.

No hope for the Earth anyway.

Regards,
David

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:15 am 

Dear David
It just goes to show that the newer generations are more & more becoming WHIMPS. I can't believe it.
Not using Nuclear powered aircraft because passengers & crew got sick. Sailors got seasick but it didn't stop them discovering America.
Whatever, aeroplanes won't be going all-electric because the price of electricity is now going up. Pedal-planes are the only way forward.
Best wishes from C. Biggles-Hubble.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:55 pm 

Dear Cliff,
When I say sick I mean dead.
Also the people below exposed to the fall out.

These were bombers with almost unlimited range and the fallout was considered beneficial to the desire to harm the enemy.

Let's hope for less war and more peace.

Regards,
David

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:54 am 

Dear David et al(L)
Iv'e been very busy researching in NPAs(nuclear powered aircraft). Interestingly a vague subject, a bit like the invention of the telescope. As you well know I'm a duck egg using computers & often do things with my laptop I can never repeat. That seems to be the case with my discovery that Sir Archy Medes Tesla made the very first "successful" NPA. ( I may have typed in Wilkopedia by mistake & got into the childrens toy section?). Anyway it seems Sir Archy made his Mark 1 Flying Suit to successfully avoid radiation sickness when he made his first Nuclear Powered Aircraft many centuries ago. After his amazing flying success Archy made the very first space ship and equipped with an even better suit (Mk 2), he fired of into space. Unfortunately for us Archy took all his NPA & NP Spaceship gen with him in his secret spaceship. It seem Sir Archy who was a Senior Lecher-er in Alchemy had discovered a new element, whilst messing about with Zinc & playng on his harmonium at the same time. However, Archy kept his Zincomplexharmonium element secret, so it never got in the Periodic Table which was only conceived many centuries later.
Sir Archy has been in space a long time now but the good news is, when he fired of into space, he apparently left a note behind saying "BACK HOME IN 2018!"
Best wishes from Cliff - OH! - PS I'm going to display a picture of Archy's two anti- radiation suits on the gallery.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:53 pm 

Dear Cliff,
It is amazing the information one finds after just a few magic mushrooms. :D

Regards,
David

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:21 pm 

I get the impression that this thread is drifting away from astronomy :)

The Mods never sleep :D

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed