It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:43 pm

Post subject: Returning to Astronomy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:22 pm 

I have decided to take up astronomy again. Over the Xmas period I read two new books by Robin Scagell , 101 Objects to Spot in the Night Sky., and The Urban Astronomy Guide.
I think I will concentrate on spotting astronomical objects that are easily visible with the unaided eye or binoculars , and leave trying to find things with my telescope until another day.
At present for the last 3-4 weeks I have been trying to find Comet Lovejoy with my
10 x 50 Binoculars without success. I would be grateful if anyone could give me guidance on how to find this object , location, time and what its appearance looks like. My daughter says it appears green ?.
Thanks

Chris P

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:23 pm 

. Dear Chris,
you have again unfortunately chosen a difficult object for observation from a town centre.
Comet Lovejoy was I think rather diffuse and is now getting fainter.

I had no success at all finding it, mainly because it was behind the oak tree.

I would probably have found it otherwise, but comets are very difficult from towns unless they are very bright. As for the green colour, I don't think that you had a hope of seeing this from your location.

What is beautiful though is Venus and the fainter Mars nearby at the moment. This is the type of object you need to look for with your 10×50 binocular.

Regards, David

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:21 pm 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
David is probably right, it will not be that easy to see from the town, however if you want to know where it is exactly, go to the "Observing" section and "Comet Lovejoy, C/2014 Q2 New Year Comet" here and you will find a stream for observations made with a 10x50 monocular, each mentions nearby stars. It looks like a small fuzzy ball and any colour will only be seen in photographs.
Obviously to locate it from the constellation patterns and stars it is necessary to learn these and this is, in itself, a a very worthwhile course of study only requiring unaided eye + binoculars and a good starmap/ star atlas. Best of luck, regards maf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:38 pm 

I started in astronomy as well with a 10x50 binoculars. I found that it would shake quite a bit, so I epoxied a camera screw mount to the binoculars with a plate so I could attach it to a simple camera stand. Worked like a charm. My first home made telescope... :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:06 pm 

I have just returned also after 10 years away just got this

Attachment:
Dsc_2435.jpg
Dsc_2435.jpg [ 145.5 KiB | Viewed 52 times ]